cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valve Stem for 110PSI G Rated Tire

scotjima
Explorer
Explorer
Question that I think I already know the answer for...

I have Goodyear 614 G Rated tires on my 5th wheel and one of them kept losing about half of the air. I took it to a large national tire chain and they found the valve stem leaking. They replaced it with a rubber valve stem and said it was a trailer tire valve stem and was rated for the 110PSI. They also said they didn't even have any metal valve stems.

I'm thinking this is not accurate... Am I correct here?
11 REPLIES 11

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
china makes metal valve stems so????

chevman Merry Christmas everybody
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Roller4Tan
Explorer
Explorer
Had my G614s installed in Michigan at a Discount Tire. Told them I wanted metal stems, no problem, full metal screw in stems.
2014 Heartland Bighorn 3010RE
2013 GMC Sierra 3500Crew4WD
5th Airborne Pin Box
Curt 24K Hitch

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Bought new RV this year with G 614's. One tire was leaking around the valve stem and two of the others were so loose I could turn them with my fingers. All I had to do to stop the leak was tighten the outer nut but these were nitrogen filled tires. Not anymore.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
For sure metal valve but you got to check with the rim manufactures because not all the metal valve fit .I got ALCOA rim on mine and only ALCOA valve fit on it.This year I got a leaky valve and I was lucky that I got spare WITH me.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, metal stems only for G tires, especially if you have screw on TPMS sensors.
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
One of mine was leaking, and in changing to a new metal stem, they added a second washer... 100 miles down the road the TPMS was telling me it was loosing air again. Took quite a while to find the problem.

Gotta have metal.
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like Discount Tire and do business with them

BUT the fool working there is WRONG installing those snap in rubber high pressure stems.
NOT the right application for 'G' rated tires

Those 'snap in rubber high pressure' valve stems are only rated for pressures UP to 100#

Metal high pressures are good for pressures UP to 200#

I have the rubber high pressures on my truck (metal doesn't fit due to wheel design) but max pressure is 80#.
I have metal on 5vr due to 110# 'G' rated tires

Tire valve types and uses
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting that when we had new G tires put on our fifth wheel at Les Schwab, they automatically put on metal valve stems. I asked in advance and they said, that's something they do automatically.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
:S

Only metal screw in stems for me. I had a leaky stem on one of my E rated TV tires, They installed a rubber stem and then asked if I wanted a metal stem, Of course I said yes.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

scotjima
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, Discount Tire... I'll find somewhere that can swamp the rubber for a metal one. This is actually my spare tire now, so it is not as big of an issue.

FYI... this came off of a Grand Design Solitude 5th wheel. The tires were an "upgrade" I ordered and paid for. The tire was losing air from day one and Grand Design sent me a whole new tire and wheel which has solved the problem. I'm now trying to get this one fixed so I have two spares...

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Must have been Discount Tire (America's Tire in California). I just had a set of Michelins put on the truck and asked for metal valve stems as recommended by the manufacturer of my TPMS due to the weight of the sensors. Their response was almost verbatim the response above.

And, yes, the Goodyear G614s on our previous MS came with metal valve stems, and when they were replaced at a Goodyear tire store, the replacement valve stems were metal as well. Everything I've seen says the rubber "pop-in" valve stems are limited to 80 PSIG (LRE). Otherwise, they're prone to "pop OUT"!

From the Discount Tire website:

Valve Stems

Valves stems are included with the purchase of any tire. When replacing the wheels only, valve stems must be purchased.

A few things to consider:

Valve stems are responsible for keeping your tires inflated, and allow you to add or subtract air pressure.

The diameter of passenger car and light truck valve stems are a standard size that fits virtually every wheel.

Valve stems come in both rubber and metal varieties. The valves we provide are rubber with a protective chrome sleeve and metal cap.

A common myth is that the valve stems never need replacing. The rubber in your valve stems dries and cracks in the same way that your tires do. Valve stems should be replaced at least as often as your tires.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600