cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

vents in floors

bobbyterri
Explorer
Explorer
anyone have any issues with the heater vents being on the floor, particularly in a high traffic area? we are looking at a cedar creek where the vents are right where we will walk on them a thousand times, vs. a solitude where they are not in the floor at all. i know in a stick house it matters...they get crushed.
21 REPLIES 21

cfd225
Explorer
Explorer
I went and got filters that go right into the floor register. Keeps stuff from going into them. I think I got them at Home Depot.
Jayco 2018 Seismic 4113
Chevy 3500 Diesel
Zena (Black Shepard), Tiller (Mastiff/Lab Mix)

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
I had a nice surprise today. I went to my local home supply store and picked up a nice new register that I can open and close. Well, I didn't realize that the duct work was so shallow, the replacement would not fit with the vent in the open position. Once I got the original one out, and saw how shallow it was I didn't think it was going to fit, and I was right. I'd say that it was no more than 2" deep. I guess I will have to see if I can find a more substantial register that is open all the time, and is shallow.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

cKarlGo
Explorer
Explorer
3 dog nights wrote:
Had them in the last TT, with four dogs and two kids at the time, I made it part of the winterizing to remove the vent ocvers and stick the Vacuume hose down there to get the dog hair, and crumbs. Other that that no problems.

My Montana has a built in vac with a nice flex attachment. A nice flex attachment that won't fit between the blades on any of the vents. I wish someone would make a tool that would. Taking up the metal vents is one thing, but I don't like popping off the plastic ones.
---------
k.
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
2014 Honda CR-V
2007 Black Lab/Pitt Bull mix named Harley

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Had them in the last TT, with four dogs and two kids at the time, I made it part of the winterizing to remove the vent ocvers and stick the Vacuume hose down there to get the dog hair, and crumbs. Other that that no problems.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
We too have a Cedar Creek. Only problem is the vent right outside the bathroom door has one screw installed at an angle and it hurts when you step on it with bare feet. One of these days I will have tools handy when I step on it and it will get fixed.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

wkswenson
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Cedar Creek - and the rig was shown at an RV show when we bought it.... The vents looked like hell honestly. We tore them out (same as we did on the last trailer) due to the metal being so thin they bend and well look like hell.

I already had these purchased from Amazon by the time we got the rig home and replaced them as the first item to mod on the rig.

Walter & Donna Swenson
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL - Front Living, Trail Air
2011 Dodge RAM 3500 6.7 CTD DRW CC LB
Our Website - "A Work in Progress"

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
We have two in the middle..Allows us to fully use our rig including the furnace with both slides in.
They are not a problem at all. I occasionally pull the registers and vacuum inside.

+1
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Cuffs054
Explorer
Explorer
Our Springdale has one smack in the middle of the hall to bedroom. If I stand full on it it feels a little bouncy. The crisis for us is that Lucy (the big stupid Viszla) would not cross it until we put a rug over it. It didn't bother the Jack Russell, but Lucy was having no part of it.

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
One of the things I noticed when I upgraded to a nicer RV was the floor vent was made of wood and it looked real nice

The first trip I took I stepped on one near the door and broke it. I bought a metal one to replace it but I took the wood one from the bed room and replaced it with a metal one where it was less noticeable. I have been living in the camper for over a month and have not damaged the wood one that is in the same location as the one I damage and I have not stepped on it again. When I get back home I am going to order a new wood floor vent they look a lot nicer.
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

Retired_nuke_ET
Explorer
Explorer
2 of the 4 vents in ours look like the holes were cut freehand and ended up being too big in the long direction. In order for the screws to hit material they were put in angled outward leaving the heads not flush. One of these days I need to glue and screw some small blocks of wood to the sides of the hole so the screws can go in straight.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
One in kitchen floor in front of stove
One in entrance to bedroom
Rest are out of traffic areas

I busted both by walking on them.......cheap stamped thin metal!!!

Replaced all with louvered ones that are heavy gauge metal...strong and sturdy
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Three of my four heat vents are in high traffic areas and cause no issues. I DID replace the OEM vents with vents with the ability to be closed off to make sweeping floors easier by avoiding sweeping debris into the heat vents.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

beckid
Explorer
Explorer
The only problem we had with ours was the babies loved to launch blueberries into the floor vent when we weren't looking...and cheerios...and peas...

Personally I'm glad our RV now has no floor vents. The vents are sideways along the wall at the floor.
Me '54
Him '58
Rain the Awesome Aussie
Maggie the wonderdog over the RB 4/16
2008 Fleetwood Fiesta LX 34N

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
We have one in the linoleum around the fridge and stove area. The only issue I have with it is that one of the corners is bent up just a little and if I'm not careful will trip on it, bending it more. I guess I need to swap it out for something a little better, but in the last year of owning this 5er it hasn't been that big of an issue. One thing I really like about it is in the colder months it keeps the floor around it warm.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ