cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Walking on roof

Cdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 6'2" and weigh 250. Just purchased a 2016 jayco eagle 345bhts. Can my big but walk on the roof to inspect it or will my weight do more harm.
Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

Labman7
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the Jayco forum and ask the question. I weight 240 and have no issue walking on my 2014 Jayco to inspect the roof every couple months. How do you think the dealers work on the roofs, vents, ACs etc. I don't see them crawling around using plywood. I wouldn't have a trailer with a roof so weak I was afraid to walk on it.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Can my big but walk on the roof to inspect it or will my weight do more harm."

Why walk on your roof? Dangerous. Haven't walked on my roof in years. All is reachable from my collapsible ladder...including covering.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I like that idea of carpet on plywood.

I have a low spot after not being careful when we first got the MH. I think a rafter ( cross piece) is broken. I opened the ceiling and found these cross pieces are a little smaller than 2x2's. Half inch plywood over them at the back but not at the front. Now I use planks stretching across the roof to avoid putting my weight on the cross pieces.

If you can find an easy way to look inside the roof you will get an idea how strong it is.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

drmopar
Explorer
Explorer
Even though the RV manufactures call it a "walk on roof" Safety is the most important. I crawl on plywood pieces to be safe. Getting up and down on RV ladders seems to be the danger zone. I glued low pile carpet to the plywood pieces to support my knees.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
My large frame prefers to crawl on my hands and knees with my daughter's old volleyball knee pads. First off, Every reason for me being up there requires me to be in this position, Second, the hands and knees process distributes the weight better, and three, I don't want to slip, trip, or fall.

My way also.
Be careful. One of our friends works for a guy that fell off his rv last year & he is having to close his business, will never recover from the injuries.

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
When I built an extension of an overhang for tractors to add space for fire wood I matched the existing corrugated roofing.

When fall came around i was so afraid to dent the stuff I would lay a small chunk of plywood and then another.

This gave me a way to disperse my weight and not dent the roof so if you took a couple of strips of plywood up with you it might give you a little peace of mind.

Or just stay on the rafters...

Bill
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
My large frame prefers to crawl on my hands and knees with my daughter's old volleyball knee pads. First off, Every reason for me being up there requires me to be in this position, Second, the hands and knees process distributes the weight better, and three, I don't want to slip, trip, or fall.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I would not. Hard to fix low spots you may make and not notice for a time. Just my take on it
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

DanNJanice
Explorer
Explorer
Cdaddy wrote:
I'm 6'2" and weigh 250. Just purchased a 2016 jayco eagle 345bhts. Can my big but walk on the roof to inspect it or will my weight do more harm.
Thanks

I walk on my trailer roof all the time. Just be careful, try to stay on the studs, make sure you don't have anything sharp stuck in your shoe.
2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 F250 PSD

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Look closely at the roof and you can probably see where the rafters are and try to step there. Sometimes the roof panel joints will show through the epdm. The rafters will also be near things like the ac or roof vents. Even if they are 2 ft apart one might be near the ac or vent. At least that's what I've noticed.

Cdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it does