cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wanting to change from STs to LTs..........

Paulb1310
Explorer
Explorer
We are the proud new owners of a 2007 K-Z Sportsman 5th wheel. The unit is in EXCELLENT shape for its age. This is our first (but likely won't be our last).

I have read numerous posts on the arguments of STs versus LTs. My conclusion is the I am going to replace the current tires/wheels with larger, more robust ones.

Here is what I currently have:
Tire: Load Max Radial
Tire Size: ST225/75R15
Overall diameter: 28.3"
Rim width range: 6-7"
Date Code: 614 0906 (waaaaay old!)
Wheels: Six bolt on 5.5" centers
Load rating for each tire: 2540 pounds
GVWR for trailer: 10,000 pounds

Here is what I want:
Tire: Michelin LTX A/T 2
Tire Size: LT245/75R16
Rim width range: 6.5-8"
Overall diameter: 30.5"

Wheel Choice #1: HiSpec Series 04
Wheel Size: 16x7
Wheel load rating: 3200
Offset: +5mm

Wheel Choice #2: HiSpec Series 05
Wheel Size: 16x6.5
Wheel load rating: 3580 pounds
Offset: 0mm

So, what have I considered so far?

1. Separation between current tires is 5.0". By using this size tire the separation would be 2.8". This would appear to be sufficient.

2. Currently there is 6" of suspension travel between the top of the tire and the floor of the 5th wheel. This would be reduced to 4.9". This, too, seems sufficient.

3. The passenger side shocks currently sit 3/4" away from the tire. This might be dicey with a bigger tire and wheel. If the tire is too close the options are to (a) put a spacer between the wheel and the hub with longer lug nuts or (b) move the shock to the other side of the axle (likely NOT a good option.)

4. The passenger side front tire is close to the fender. I could (a) trim off part of the fender or (b) install a brace underneath to push the fender our a few tenths of an inch or (c) a combination of (a) and (b).

5. The top of the tire to the bottom of the fender is 3.5". I don't know just how much more the bigger tires would protrude. Of course, the current tires don't have a problem with hitting the inside edge of the fender. I'm not sure if the bigger tires would have an issue or not.

So, what have I missed?

Thanks for your help!!

Paul.
78 REPLIES 78

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocamprs wrote:
MM49 wrote:
I wouldn't recommend a LT tire, but if you are determined to, the Hercules H-901 looks like an interesting G rated, all steel tire.
MM49

Hercules Tire

Why would anyone need G rated tires on a trailer with 5200# axles? When I did a swap on a 9K trailer, any more than 70psi in a BFG LT235/85R16/E would not make contact across tread. Those tires lasted 5 years, 2 on the JayFlight, 3 on the Mountaineer. I replaced them with R250's this summer

Yeah ...Not the best choice for 5200 lb axles for sure.
Looking at the H901 Hercules shows a another all steel ply commercial grade LT235/85-16 G tire at 3756 lbs capacity. Hercules says they have been out since Nov/'13 so not much input on reliability issues which for my use is #1 consideration.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocamprs wrote:
MM49 wrote:
I wouldn't recommend a LT tire, but if you are determined to, the Hercules H-901 looks like an interesting G rated, all steel tire.
MM49

Hercules Tire

Why would anyone need G rated tires on a trailer with 5200# axles? When I did a swap on a 9K trailer, any more than 70psi in a BFG LT235/85R16/E would not make contact across tread. Those tires lasted 5 years, 2 on the JayFlight, 3 on the Mountaineer. I replaced them with R250's this summer
For $153.00 is why

MM49

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
MM49 wrote:
MM49

Hercules Tire

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
Paulb1310 wrote:
We are the proud new owners of a 2007 K-Z Sportsman 5th wheel. The unit is in EXCELLENT shape for its age. This is our first (but likely won't be our last).

I have read numerous posts on the arguments of STs versus LTs. My conclusion is the I am going to replace the current tires/wheels with larger, more robust ones.

Here is what I currently have:
Tire: Load Max Radial
Tire Size: ST225/75R15
Overall diameter: 28.3"
Rim width range: 6-7"
Date Code: 614 0906 (waaaaay old!)
Wheels: Six bolt on 5.5" centers
Load rating for each tire: 2540 pounds
GVWR for trailer: 10,000 pounds

Here is what I want:
Tire: Michelin LTX A/T 2
Tire Size: LT245/75R16
Rim width range: 6.5-8"
Overall diameter: 30.5"

Wheel Choice #1: HiSpec Series 04
Wheel Size: 16x7
Wheel load rating: 3200
Offset: +5mm

Wheel Choice #2: HiSpec Series 05
Wheel Size: 16x6.5
Wheel load rating: 3580 pounds
Offset: 0mm

So, what have I considered so far?

1. Separation between current tires is 5.0". By using this size tire the separation would be 2.8". This would appear to be sufficient.

2. Currently there is 6" of suspension travel between the top of the tire and the floor of the 5th wheel. This would be reduced to 4.9". This, too, seems sufficient.

3. The passenger side shocks currently sit 3/4" away from the tire. This might be dicey with a bigger tire and wheel. If the tire is too close the options are to (a) put a spacer between the wheel and the hub with longer lug nuts or (b) move the shock to the other side of the axle (likely NOT a good option.)

4. The passenger side front tire is close to the fender. I could (a) trim off part of the fender or (b) install a brace underneath to push the fender our a few tenths of an inch or (c) a combination of (a) and (b).

5. The top of the tire to the bottom of the fender is 3.5". I don't know just how much more the bigger tires would protrude. Of course, the current tires don't have a problem with hitting the inside edge of the fender. I'm not sure if the bigger tires would have an issue or not.

So, what have I missed?

Thanks for your help!!

Paul.

MM49

Hercules Tire

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Me Again wrote:
Take the Rib or R250 and relabel them as ST235/85R16E's set inflation and weight rating up like the current ST's and they would out perform any other ST tire available.

EXACTLY!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

sh4717
Explorer
Explorer
tvman44 wrote:
BF Goodrich Commercial TA in 225x75 R16 is what I went to from 225x75 15 1" taller same width.

X2
Scott
2019 Northwood Nash 24M
2018 Ram Ecodiesel

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie D. wrote:
Just FYI Michelin owns BFG an Bridgestone. Good Luck in your search and Happy Camping.

Bridgestone has no connection to Michelin. Bridgestone is the parent company of Firestone.

IMO he may have meant Michelin owns BFG and Uniroyal.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Just FYI Michelin owns BFG an Bridgestone. Good Luck in your search and Happy Camping.

Bridgestone has no connection to Michelin. Bridgestone is the parent company of Firestone.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
When you replace your tires, unless you want a partially aggressive tread on the camper, consider the XPS Michelin which are a rib tire and shouldn't scuff going around corners as the others. Just FYI Michelin owns BFG an Bridgestone. Good Luck in your search and Happy Camping.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take the Rib or R250 and relabel them as ST235/85R16E's set inflation and weight rating up like the current ST's and they would out perform any other ST tire available.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Firestone Transforce = fabric carcass
Bridgestone Duravis R-250 = all steel carcass commercial tire
Bridgestone M895 = all steel ply carcass commercial tire.

FastEagle

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Firestone Transforce = fabric carcass
Bridgestone Duravis R-250 = all steel carcass commercial tire
Bridgestone M895 = all steel ply carcass commercial tire.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
With due respect to whomever posted... 2 1/2 years on tires is nothing. Bragging rights begin after 4 years on RV tires in this Godforsaken desert! Question... are the xps, r250 and transforce all-steel tires? Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

camperkilgore
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
camperkilgore wrote:
Beginning to wonder about the wisdom of using more expensive LT tires. I did the same thing after losing tires to blowouts. The original tires on our fiver were the Chinese made tires, so I went from 15" to 16" tires and switched to BFG commercial TA tires. We made three trips to western states from Florida with no problems, but three years later, lost the tread on one and discovered another had problems with separation and was ready to go at any time.

So at this point I'm beginning to think that it might(MIGHT) be better to go with ST tires with stiffer sidewalls, but make sure that I replace them every 2 1/2 to 3 years. Being proactive about it might prevent a lot of aggravation down the road. Being able to locate the best deal when replacing all four would be better than getting stuck with a bad deal when out in the boonies some where.

This is a plan that would probably make the most sense for me based on my particular camper and my experiences with that camper. Your mileage may vary.

ST tires do not have stiffer side walls vs most LT tires.

If you are keeping the trailer for many years then XPS RIBs or R250s will be cheaper in the long run with 6 to 8 years of use, then sell them on CL. I got $200 for four 6.5 year old RIBs.

No other tire comes close to one of these two on 5200 or 6000 axles. I have used both. We do the 1650 miles between NW Washington and Arizona in 3.5 days and never worry about tires. Nice thing is our trailer placard list LT235/85R16E, so the eagle and tire companies can not play their games with us.

Chris

I've heard good things about Michelins. RIBs mainly. We've had our fiver for 9 years. Another member mentioned "what if one(ST) blows. Then it would be several $$$$"....we've been there, and there-in lies the dilemma. Even if we go the expensive RIB tires......the thought of another blow out(we've had several) would make me think of changing out the tires proactively every so often(maybe 3 or 4 years). So if we do that anyway, then something lower cost, like Maxxis E range tires might be more cost effective.
Tom & Carol

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Good move! I did the same change on our previous 9600 lb 5er. Steel E rated wheels from etrailer and I caught a sale on Dunlop LT Rover HTs at Discount... total cost was exactly $800.00. I will do it again on our current 5er later this year. Keep the shocks if you can and you might be able to move them a little. I put discs on our 5er and I thought I was going to have to leave 2 of the shocks off. I got to measuring and I was able to use a 5/8 hole saw and drill new holes in the brackets. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!