cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Warranty Issues and denials

jetjocka7
Explorer
Explorer
In my other thread demonstrated how I usually learn my lessons, THE HARD WAY.
When it comes to warranty issues, I now know that there is no such thing as the one year warranty that salesmen brag about; the manufacturers of RVs don't warrant any sub-components that they install in their RVs - the makers of the sub-components are your only and best source for warranty reinbursement.
The sales and service companies won't tell you the whole story either; in my case the service department would rather the customer pay their $125/hr for time to repair which is more than they would get doing the repair under the rules of a sub-component manufacturer, AND full marked up prices for parts which they are not allowed to do under warranty rules of a sub-component manufacturer. In other words they get less money if they help you find the right person to approve your repair under warranty.
New to all this, I pitched a fit and raised my BP for nothing when I should have....
put your warranty issue or part failure problem here or on another RV forum FIRST! Likely as not, a more experienced RVer has had your experience and can steer you in the right direction BEFORE you go off the deep in.
Take it from this old nasal radiator (Naval Aviator), this is the place to start when you have a problem! Thanks to all those who lend us new guys a hand in learning the best way to care and feed an RV.
25 REPLIES 25

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Well, one can learn to use this forum, but I'd also advise reading the paperwork. In the two Keystone products that I purchased, there were clear exclusions of the appliances from the Keystone warranty.

That being said, Keystone was also good about facilitating a resolution. A lot does also depend on the dealer.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
I have had good service with the CW dealer we purchased or TT from (Camping World of Knoxville, TN). I feel the dealer has been more helpful then the manufacturer.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
The dealer makes all the difference. :C
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Well done jetlocka7. You have proven to be a quick learner. This forum can be a great resource when you weed out the BS. I know we were a little hard on you in that first thread but look how much better informed you are now. RV stuff is just a different set of rules, the problem is the rules are not well communicated by any one source.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our fw, new, but already a couple of years old sitting on the dealer's lot. I got home and started going through the warranties. Upon reading the manufacturer warranty, I discovered that it would have been a lot quicker to read what was covered, than what was NOT covered on my bumper to bumper warranty. There was a page that I was supposed to sign after going over the document with the dealer. I had to ask for my warranty booklet when I was about to leave with the new camper. Had they went over the booklet before the deal, like they were supposed to, I probably would have walked out. On my first trip, I had 3 tire failures (1 blowout) and I contacted the dealer and they supposedly turned it over to the tire company. After waiting for almost 2 weeks, I contacted the manufacturer of the fw (Evergreen) and they reimbursed me for 4 new tires that I had purchased. Made me happy.

AUWing
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds more like a lazy dealer not willing to go to bat for the customer. All dealers, regardless of what they sell (cars, boats, RV's) are measured by manufacturers on warranty submissions. The intent is to prevent them from claiming issues caused by the occasional mishap from being passed on the the manufacturer and subsequently the component manufacturer. Dealers will denie in hopes the issue goes away and in the end, protect their score. If it's a component failure not associated with misuse or external damage, don't take no for an answer. If the dealer still refuses, insist on seeing the manufacturer rep during his/her next visit. All in a calm, confident and determined voice of course.
2014 Jayco 331RETS
Thermal Pane, Auto Level, Fireplace
2011 Silverado 2500HD EC Regular Box D'Max / Allison
Great wife and a good dog

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess it really comes down to how a manufacturer sees customer service. So will ignore you, others will do what ever it takes to keep a satisfied customer. Sounds like you have a formers product.

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
We had no problems what so ever with warranty issues during the first year of ownership on both of our Montana's. We also had good success with repairs after the warranty period at no cost to us.

We had no problems with our extended warranties on repairs as long as we complied with the terms of the warranty.

Most of our repairs both in the manufacturers warranty and out side of the manufacturers were done by the Keystone service center or a repair facilities in the Goshen, Elkhart area since we are fairly nearby those facilities. Our selling dealer was good as was a mobile repair service here in Florida.

We have just not had a bad warranty experience....... yet...
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
That's why we deal straight with the manufacturer. We just had the little motor in the fireplace that runs the "flame" go out. It is 13 months old...the fireplace manufacturer ran me all over since the couldn't sell direct. One of their dealers want $95 for a $3 motor.

Called Heartland, who BTW answers the phone on the first ring...told them the situation and they are obtaining the motor directly from the manufacturer and shipping to me free of charge!
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

jasult
Explorer
Explorer
I hate dealers and warranty's and sales persons. They only want the sale. I am very handy and choose to buy everything used and just fix what needs fixing. My Neighbor bought brand new Dodge Sprinter truck for his business and paid thousands for extended warranty. I tease him that he has a parking spot with his name on it now from all the downtime and repairs on that truck. I believe the warranty is only as good as the truck and dealer and no more
Jim & Georgeanne + Lucie the beagle
"excavator" on the DieselStop.Com
1999 F350 CC LB Hydra chip
1996 F250 Powerstroke, Tony tunes, BTS trans
1995 Fleetwood Wildness 30 ft 5ver

Our Camping Pics and 5ver Album here
Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va

2008Wildcat
Explorer
Explorer
I've used the manufacturer's warranty a few times within this first year, no problems or arguments from the selling dealer.

Maybe it is just your dealer.....
2013 Columbus 320RS
2011 RAM 3500 Outdoorsman SRW 6.7 Cummins- tweaked!