cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What are the top 5 brands for 5W?

punjab66
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking to switch from a TT to a 5W. Can someone list the top 5 brands for quality and dependability. Thanks
92 REPLIES 92

Dave_M_C
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on my second Keystone fifth wheel now. Had a 2005 Challenger and loved it. We traded this winter for a 2014 Avalanche. Haven't made any trips in it yet, but I'm sure we are going to love it too.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
The OP came on RV.net last July and started the OP 7-28-13 and made his last post on 8-12-13.
He has moved on .... last summer.

Now the thread has become a bitzh thread and may go on and on and serves no purpose.

What makes you think that? Oh ya, it's gone more than 4 pages.:)

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The OP came on RV.net last July and started the OP 7-28-13 and made his last post on 8-12-13.
He has moved on .... last summer.

Now the thread has become a bitzh thread and may go on and on and serves no purpose.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Backman
Explorer
Explorer
Duderandnana, I am sorry to hear about all of the problems you are having with your Sanibel. We purchased the 2012 Sanibel 3500 and have been extremely pleased with our 5th wheel. With our two year warranty ending in February we put it in the shop for the first time since we purchased it. We have camped in it every weekend between April 1 and November 15th since we have had it. We have missed about two weeks due to illness. When we put it in the shop three weeks ago here are the issues we had: front jack has slight leak but does not creep down, the back AC was making a noise in the vent, it was a piece of tape from the insulation. The ceiling fan is not completely quiet, the bearing is probably bad. A bracket broke holding the gas line and it was cut while bringing it home in November. By the way I did show them the lens cover that was missing in the front compartment. Maybe picky but we feel pretty fortunate that this is all of the problems we have had after two years and warranty should cover all. That being said, we are completely pleased with our Sanibel. Our best friends bought one at the same time and two friends where we camp just purchased the 2014's with full body paint. IMO, these are excellent campers and have been very comfortable to stay in. I wish you the best with getting yours repaired and hopefully this will will change your opinion of the Sanibel line. No, I do not work for Prime Time Manufacturing, I am just a satisfied consumer.
Larry and Debbie
2012 Sanibel 3500
"HPY RVN"

MrYesterday
Explorer
Explorer
I have to add another vote for the Montana. Our 3750FL has the best floor plan I've ever seen, and seens to be great quality. It has every amenity we would want in a brick and mortar home, and wasn't nearly as expensive as some comparable units from MS, and the other big name brands.
2001 Silverado 3500 dually (8.1l w/ an Allison)
2010 Montana 3750 FL

Full-Time pipeline family

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lurker52 wrote:
Personally if I was to spend 285K I would have an RV and a truck and a house and a boat and a Harley and and and. That kind of money for an RV โ€œfor meโ€ is crazy. If that is what you want and have the coin than go for it. I have always been practical and frugal (some may tell you I am cheap). The top 5 brands are what you want and how deep your pockets are.

We have an 05 Cameo and an 05 Dodge CTD dually both bought used and have been full timing in them for over two years. We have had a few issues just like I did with the sticks and bricks. You have to do maintenance on anything. If I was to do it again I would change a few things, hind sight being 20/20. I donโ€™t want any kind of payments. I bought what I did because it is our home. If we were weekending and vacationing I would have spent way less than the 45K I put out for this rig โ€œTruck & trailerโ€.

We have camped next to million dollar bus conversions and tenters. They all seem to enjoy their camping experience. I think the best one is the one you get. I have seen a lot of the mentioned โ€œtop 5โ€ that have had problems and a lot of old and I mean old 5ers and TT that are still in use and families enjoying. To each their own.

I don't really know but my guess is that many people who pay $275k for a 5ver can do so without having to talk to their banker or sacrifice the house and the truck and the boat and the Harley.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Glenn_West
Explorer
Explorer
Would need to know what the 5ther is going to be used for. for the occasional adventure less is needed. Full time heavy frame, all wood cabinetry, good insulation, heavier axles, trailaire suspension,etc. I full time and put more wear and tear on my unit in a month than non full timers will in years.

Lurker52
Explorer
Explorer
Personally if I was to spend 285K I would have an RV and a truck and a house and a boat and a Harley and and and. That kind of money for an RV โ€œfor meโ€ is crazy. If that is what you want and have the coin than go for it. I have always been practical and frugal (some may tell you I am cheap). The top 5 brands are what you want and how deep your pockets are.

We have an 05 Cameo and an 05 Dodge CTD dually both bought used and have been full timing in them for over two years. We have had a few issues just like I did with the sticks and bricks. You have to do maintenance on anything. If I was to do it again I would change a few things, hind sight being 20/20. I donโ€™t want any kind of payments. I bought what I did because it is our home. If we were weekending and vacationing I would have spent way less than the 45K I put out for this rig โ€œTruck & trailerโ€.

We have camped next to million dollar bus conversions and tenters. They all seem to enjoy their camping experience. I think the best one is the one you get. I have seen a lot of the mentioned โ€œtop 5โ€ that have had problems and a lot of old and I mean old 5ers and TT that are still in use and families enjoying. To each their own.

DuderandNanna
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased my 2013 Sanibel 3400 in June. So far I have had problems with the slide outs, water leaks where you hook to to city water, surround sound stopped working, 50 amp power cord was bad, bracing of the fender skirts came loose and I had to install rivets to keep them from flapping while towing, microwave is about to fall, they evidently patched the flooring and now it is disbonded where the patch mates to existing flooring. Currently have electrical issues as the electric heater, microwave, and water heater has stopped working. All other electric is working....probably why the unit EATS light bulbs....about 3-5 per every 2 weeks. Scheduled to take to Prime Time service center in San Angelo. Will let you know what happens.....
2013 Chevy Silverado 3500 LTZ Duramax DRW
2013 Sanibel 3400
2000 Holiday Rambler Presidential
2000 Ford 350 7.3 Power Stroke SRW

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
if it fits you pocket and your wife likes the floor plan you will have about a 80-20 % or better chance of it being a great purchase, no matter what you spend.
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

Uncle_Grumpy
Explorer
Explorer
Two years ago after much research and months on craigs list I bought a 28 ft 5r for $6500 from a widow that they used it for weekend trips. An Excel made in KS with every thing made in house. Frame, oak cabinets and all top of the line. Buy used and pick a top of the line manufacturer. New units from big companies have a history of problems. And there is a LOT of depreciation when buying anything new..

bigfiver
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all.

If anyone has questions about the Continental Coach/Forks RV Elegance, I would be happy to try to answer them.

We have had nothing but the best experience with the company and love our unit.

FYI, as always, the list price is grossly exaggerated; they have some very reasonable, competitive pricing compared to Mobile suites in their classic line. The Elegance line is about the same money as a New Horizons. Since every unit is custom, YOU decide how crazy you want to go.

The frames are the most robust in the industry, hands down. However, they are also the heaviest units in the industry.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
:B
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:
rmalik1 wrote:
hone eagle wrote:
Top of the line now ?

forks rv

Anyone seen one ?

I listed Continental Coach as part of the top five on page 4.

Sorry I should asked if anyone already posted it ,too lazy to read 8 pages.
Anyone mention Spacecraft ?

Yeah, It was also on my list.
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30