cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I need to tow 5th wheel with RAM 2500 Megacab?

Major_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
I am entertaining the possibility (not a probability yet) of moving to a 5th wheel with my 2010 Ram 2500 CTD Megacab. I am not sure I am ready to go without using my truck bed; I am just entertaining the possibility at this point. My payload is 2,140 (max trailer weight 12,400), so I know to keep the pin weight way below that. I am thinking about something like THIS. I know nothing about 5th wheel hitches except that with my 6'4" box I probably need a sliding hitch, though I've never seen one in action. That is the extent of my knowledge. I've been towing travel trailers for years so I am not new to towing, but am totally uninformed about where to start as far as hitches go. I have read some of the threads but they tend to get more technical than I am ready for at this point. Any suggestions for my first baby steps in this direction?
2017 Thor Compass 23TR last RV
MV-1 Mobility ventures wheelchair van
DH+DW 36+ years
Millie the fawn brindle greyhound
46 REPLIES 46

rthibodaux
Explorer
Explorer
I had nan 30ft Laredo and now have an 32ft jayco eagle, I pulled both of them with an 06 dodge mega cab, had no problems whatsoever.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
john&bet wrote:
mileshuff wrote:
jmtandem wrote:
Some of the Cummins have gone two million miles, many one million. You will be a long time wearing it out!

True but with how much upkeep? How long do injectors last? What about lift pump or other major items?
I guess it could be reliative to how much it would cost to keep you up and running for a very long time.;)

At a million miles I have about 90 years of life left in my Dodge/Cummins. Chris

give it some thought and see when the truck will reach 1 million miles. You don't drive enough but it is a good story for some. Just sayin.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
jsr21 wrote:

Great advice right here....don't exceed you RAWR and you'll be fine.

Given that the RAWR is set by the tires installed, many chose to install Rickson Wheels and tires rated to a much higher number. A 2500 would need a little spring pack help, but these truck will haul more than the RV net police think!

If your state licenses tonnage, make sure you are paying for the correct amount.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

jsr21
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Dodge only made the 6' 4" beds for all the short bed trucks in question. They never made a 5' 8" bed for these trucks.

All 2500 Dodge trucks in question have the same 6000 RAWR. The Mega weighs about 165 lbs more on the rear axle than my quad cab so it has a bit less payload.
Regardless of how you figure how much load a truck can carry you need to first weigh the trucks front and rear axles separately with full fuel, hitch and ready to pull.
Our 2500 trucks can have a rear unladin weight in the 2800-3000 lb range all depending on how much "stuff" the operator carries and truck selections. Now your left with approx a 3000 lb payload.
My 2500 Dodge/Cummins quad cab weighs 2860 lbs on the rear axle which leaves me with around 3100 lb for its payload. I keep a front and rear axle scale ticket in all of my trucks for reference.

The Mega like the quad/standard cab/crew cab is a very capably truck to carry loads not exceeding axle/tire capacities. Or you can be ultra conservative and figure loads on the axles by using GVWR or use the payload number from the tire placard or the brochure payload number or any other number RV folks use to figure how much payload their trucks can carry.

Great advice right here....don't exceed you RAWR and you'll be fine.

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
Consider getting a Reese Sidewinder or Revolution pin box. 200 lbs lighter than a Pullrite Superglide and I tow my Cougar with a 5'7" bed with no issues at all for 11,000 miles. My loaded pin weight is 1600 lbs.
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

gtsum
Explorer
Explorer
Major Dad wrote:
I was going to let this thread die a natural death, but then I noticed this on the Open Range website regarding their "Light" line of 5th wheel trailers. Interesting, but I'd like to see it in action.

"90 Degree Turn Radius in 5.5' Short Bed
Now Patented to Open Range RV
May 2013 (LF and LX Models — US Patent #8,419,037)"
What's New at Open Range

I saw a few of these last week at a local dealer...they front caps are severely cut out...the indents were at least 6 or more inches in depth I think
2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome
2014 Ram Megacab 3500 CTD Laramie

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
john&bet wrote:
mileshuff wrote:
jmtandem wrote:
Some of the Cummins have gone two million miles, many one million. You will be a long time wearing it out!

True but with how much upkeep? How long do injectors last? What about lift pump or other major items?
I guess it could be reliative to how much it would cost to keep you up and running for a very long time.;)

At a million miles I have about 90 years of life left in my Dodge/Cummins. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Major_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to let this thread die a natural death, but then I noticed this on the Open Range website regarding their "Light" line of 5th wheel trailers. Interesting, but I'd like to see it in action.

"90 Degree Turn Radius in 5.5' Short Bed
Now Patented to Open Range RV
May 2013 (LF and LX Models — US Patent #8,419,037)"
What's New at Open Range
DH+DW 36+ years

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
jmtandem wrote:

2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Kennedycamper
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you decide, I would buy the slider hitch. I have been there and saw a trailer take out the back glass. Cost about 900 dollars to fix.

kc81c
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a Heartland Sundance XLT 285BH with a 2013 2500 mega cab using a B&W companion hitch in the furthest back hole. I can make a pretty sharp corner backing up on uneven ground and still have clearance probably into the 80 degree range. The Sundance has what they call a 88 degree cut back corner which allows it. I don't think I could get by without a slider if I had a fifth wheel with a flat front. My previous short box ford definitely allowed a bit more clearance though. I think ford uses a 6' 9" box compared to RAMs 6' 4" box. Ready to camp with the fresh tank full it only squats the rear end an inch at most. I actually had to do a reverse level on the pickup pulling some spacers out of the back to get a bit more bedrail clearance at the back of the box.
2013 Ram 2500 Megacab 6.7L
2011 Heartland Sundance XLT 285BH

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:

2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Major_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses. I am mostly checking into what options we have if I don't find the Open Range Roamer travel trailer we really like. I will do the math and be sure I am well under my limits with this truck (which will NOT be jettisoned for a 3500), whatever we decide. For the "weight police", I wanted your input too so I can see worst case scenarios, and match my truck's capability to the right 5th wheel if we should go that way. Any 5th wheel we'd consider would be small compared to other 5th wheelers (30' or less), and would have to come in well below the truck's capabilities. Again, thanks for all the answers; I found many reasonable responses I can chew on for next year.
DH+DW 36+ years

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Major Dad, You should have no problem with weight. I have an OR that I pull with my 2500 and it weighs out fine and is not the light. Good Luck and Happy Camping. We have pulled ours over 30,000 miles and are still happy with the product. Factory is excellent to work with and they have a 2 year Warranty.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member