cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is a good toy hauler for full timers

petekf4qoe
Explorer
Explorer
What is a good toy hauler for full timers in the $20-$25k? We will be going full time hopefully in the first half of this new year. It is just my wife and me and our 5 small dogs. We are not going to be hauling anything more then maybe a golf cart. We want the extra space the toy hauler gives us for a place for my wife to do her crafting and me to setup my ham radio equipment. Also we want a king size bed. We have looked a Weekend Warriors and we like them but we are having a hard time finding the one we like. It was a 4005FTL Full Throttle Edition. It does not have to be that exact one but we want the features that one had. Just did not have the funds at the time. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.
Peter Carroll
Montgomery, Alabama
Nationally Registered EMT
Amateur Extra Class callsign KF4QOE
EMT/Firefighter with North Montgomery Volunteer Fire Department

We are never LOST we are just exploring
12 REPLIES 12

Frankandbeans
Explorer
Explorer
beyerjf wrote:
If your main squeeze doesn't mind a straight forward no frills interior, look at either a race car trailer with living quarters or a Work and Play, which is a cargo trailer with living quarters.
My 5 year old W&P 34 foot 5th wheel was $15,000. There are similar deals all over. Used race car trailers are about the same.

Both are 3 season trailers. Caveat with the Work and Play is the walls are FRP(fibreglass reinforced plywood) and can have ROT issues. You can get either as bumper pull or 5th wheel. Major advantage is both have large garages which are suitable for multi purposes and easy to clean.

I live full time in a 34FK Work and Play, have a cat and use the garage for a music studio. When I move all that stuff goes on the deck, a 1996 Geo Tracker goes in the garage and to the next location. I don't move much, 3 times a year.

Just did a google search on that model...Wow. That's perfect. That's what I want - a big garage and just minimal creature comforts.

How do you like it? I saw it's got quite a hefty pin weight (probably because of the cargo capacity?) You tow that with a DRW or SRW?

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
petekf4qoe wrote:
What is a good toy hauler for full timers in the $20-$25k? We will be going full time hopefully in the first half of this new year. It is just my wife and me and our 5 small dogs. We are not going to be hauling anything more then maybe a golf cart. We want the extra space the toy hauler gives us for a place for my wife to do her crafting and me to setup my ham radio equipment. Also we want a king size bed. We have looked a Weekend Warriors and we like them but we are having a hard time finding the one we like. It was a 4005FTL Full Throttle Edition. It does not have to be that exact one but we want the features that one had. Just did not have the funds at the time. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Check out this Auction site: http://www.crankyape.com/default.asp?pg=DispSingleItem&ItemNumber=61782
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased TH in my sig to full time in...no toys, just extra storage space...will follow up on how it works out.."planning to start in August/September time frame. I purchased new to get the "latest/greatest", and have full warranty.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

beyerjf
Explorer
Explorer
If your main squeeze doesn't mind a straight forward no frills interior, look at either a race car trailer with living quarters or a Work and Play, which is a cargo trailer with living quarters.
My 5 year old W&P 34 foot 5th wheel was $15,000. There are similar deals all over. Used race car trailers are about the same.

Both are 3 season trailers. Caveat with the Work and Play is the walls are FRP(fibreglass reinforced plywood) and can have ROT issues. You can get either as bumper pull or 5th wheel. Major advantage is both have large garages which are suitable for multi purposes and easy to clean.

I live full time in a 34FK Work and Play, have a cat and use the garage for a music studio. When I move all that stuff goes on the deck, a 1996 Geo Tracker goes in the garage and to the next location. I don't move much, 3 times a year.

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
We are full-timing in a Grand Design Momentum 385TH, but it's a bit over the price range you are looking for. You are going to want space with that many dogs.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

Y-Guy
Keep in mind that very few RVs were ever built to be true full timing rigs and most warranties are void if you full time. For your price range you're obviously looking at used thus the warranty issues is irrelevant. From the list that atwowheelguy you're looking at something around 7-10 years old. I'd recommend hiring somebody to do your inspection; you don't want something that's had roof issues.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. That's a 40 ft., triple slide, triple axle camper. You should be plenty comfy in one like that. Got a whopper of a tow vehicle? I've read of the WW 4005 FTL weighing 22,000 lbs. loaded with a pin weight of 4500 lbs.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24566102/gotomsg/24569223.cfm#24569223

Search RV trader, and have fun shopping. That should make for some interesting trips in itself.

There seems to be several nice fifth wheel toy haulers available for $25k, but probably not a WW 4005.

http://www.rvtrader.com/search-results?type=Toy%20Hauler%7C139350904&radius=any&zip=36101&price=*%3A...
2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

debraindi
Explorer
Explorer
I used the RV trader for my first toy hauler but ended up buying off craigslist. Be very careful inspecting used toy hauler and expect to do some minor maintenance. Good luck.
2013 LML Duramax
2015 311 Keystone Impact
200q 24 partycraft 150 mercury
Time out motor cycle trailer
2009 Harley RG 575 cams thunder-max tuned
1970 350 JD crawler loader

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer
Investigate a used horse trailer with LQ (living quarters). LQ horse trailers are built much stronger than the average travel trailer.

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
A $25,000.00 toy hauler is not made for fulltime use, and 5 dogs would drive me nuts.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Are you talking 5th wheel or motorhome? Toyhauler for 20 grand? Either VERY old, in VERY bad condition....are my guesses. Maybe a really small toy hauler travel trailer..but then if you have a toy in there....an overnighter would be a nightmare...have to empty the thing, fold down the beds, etc., etc.,then pack it all up the next morning, and if it rained overnight, here come the mud...but if that don't bother you, go for it. Buy lottery tickets, win....and go first class. LOL!

chevyman2
Explorer
Explorer
in that price range. It might be hard to find a TH. Maybe a small TT with a TH garage. It would likely be small for full timing though. If you could add $50k to that. You would be in Cyclone range.
Tim-DW(Kathy)
12 Chevy Sonic DD, 03 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE, 2001 Jayco KIWI
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream-then I am living the dream