cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Razor to get, 2 or 4 seater?

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just started my search for a Razor. I think I would prefer the 1000 4 seater. I really don't "Need" 4 seats as it's just me and maybe a passenger, but for a couple thousand $$ it may be nice for the times there may be extra people or even more room to carry extra gear.
I think the extra HP and better suspension of the 1000 may be worth it, but the 900 also gets good reviews and would probably work.
I'm not one who needs to be the fastest or coolest, but want good performance and reliability. I'll use it for desert and mountains, like Cal City or Mammoth and am more into trail riding vs sand dunes.
What do you have and why did you choose it?
Would you buy it again or get something different?
PS. Don't need the Turbo.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650
33 REPLIES 33

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats they are a lot of fun. But now that you are an owner, it is a RZR.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the replys.
I just got a smoking deal on a new 16 XP1000 2 seater.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

awjoker
Explorer
Explorer
Not s RZR fan but we have a farm and need something more versatile, so we have a JD Gator 825i. Neighbor has a new Polaris Ranger 4 seater. He can outrun me (but barely and it takes a long stretch) but I can outwork him. Another neighbor has a RZR. We can go the same places he can but with less noise and chainsaws and coolers in the bed. I also considered the Bad Boy Intimidator and the Kubota. For you, the Kubota is not realistic but it was above the Polaris for me.
2006 Dodge Ram Quad Cab, HO Cummins, 4x4
2000 Sunnybrook 26FK
2006 Stock Trailer
1996 Car Hauler

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
loboclone wrote:
Searching_Ut wrote:
Lot's of trade offs to be made .....

So far we haven't had to deal with 50" vs 60" trails problems. Call it lucky but in Utah, Colorado, Arizonia and New Mexico we haven't had the issue. We rock crawl a lot and are in Moab now. The Sand Reeper has locking doffs front or rear. When on the road we unlock the 4 x 4 and the diff locks and roll. I have a DOT windshield steel doors etc.
The new Sand Reeper is 1100 cc lifted and cool. Just a better deal for us. 10 feet 3 inches long in the 2 seater

If you have locking diffs that would be fantastic. Sounds like you have a fair bit bigger engine than the only one I've seen where I talked to the driver. As I recall his engine was in the 800 class and the reason he couldn't get up the ledges was the lack of lockers. My RZR being an older one I have the opposite issue in that my rear end is always locked. Can cause problems sometimes.

If you're in the Moab area be careful with the Canyonlands boundaries. Seems the park service doesn't allow "Street Legal" ATV's. The only places I've ever found it to be an issue is with some of the Capitol Reef and Canyonland boundaries as they have a lot of dirt roads going through parts of the parks.

I don't recall any 50 inch trails in the Moab area as it's all old mining and jeep trails. That said you rarely if ever encounter any on BLM land in this area. You'll find quite a few in the areas managed by the forest service though. If you head a little south to Monticello, there are a bunch of nice trails through the Aspens in the Abajo mountains, several of the better ones being restricted to 50 inch rigs. Makes a great change of pace during the hot summer months where the 10,000+ foot mountains makes for a great way to cool off.

Finally, I'm jealous of your being in Moab. We generally hit that area several times a year, but I traded my TT for a 5er last October and I've been waiting to install a hitch on the back of it until the 1 year frame warranty is up. As a result we currently can't take the RZR on camping trips. We're planning to retire early next year so we got a bigger rig more appropriate to spending long periods of time in. Once retired we intend to spend a lot more time in that area of the world, and will probably supplement the RZR with another UTV type vehicle more suitable to both on and off road travel, and hopefully with a lot more power for the dunes.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
When we got our ATV, we decided to go with a 2014 RZR 800EPS. In Utah, many of the trails outside of the Moab area (Paiute trail, for example) have major sections that are 50" max. It's been great. However, we recently added a daughter to our family. That means we need another seat, when she's big enough to go with us.

For now, we are going to add an aftermarket seat that goes between the driver and passenger. That will allow her to ride with us, but if we can ever afford it, a 4 seater (that will fit in a 12"2" garage, such as the 4 seat 900) is something we would do.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

loboclone
Explorer
Explorer
Searching_Ut wrote:
Lot's of trade offs to be made based on what sort of riding you want to do. I bought a 2010 50inch two seat RZR back in the fall of 2009 and it has performed admirably over the years. I went that route because I wanted to explore a bunch of ATV trails that I couldn't get a bigger rig on. I can run trails that aren't an option for the bigger rigs, but the suspension is a compromise when running the dunes, or rough dirt roads at speed. It's the same issue you run into when building trucks for off roading. what works good in the mud isn't always so great on the sand. build for either of those and they generally don't do so good for rock crawling.

On thing to keep in mind if you're looking to street ride is to make sure you have the option to lock and unlock the differentials. Locked diffs are a bad thing on pavement, but open diffs leave you hanging sometimes on the trail

Finally, there are a lot of other good options out there besides the RZR. Myself I'm always looking for more power, so you might want to look for that and there are several different rigs with great power out there. Personally, I look for something you can make pretty much bullet proof as I like the desert rock crawling and hard core mountain trails, so it's something worth looking into. If you do look at options like the above mentioned Oreion Sand Reeper, keep in mind what sort of riding you're looking to do. We spent hours trying to help a guy get out of the area he got himself into down in the Moab Utah area when he tried to follow some ATV's down one of the harder tails. The open differentials and lack of low range gearing on his rig resulted in our having to do a lot of winching to get him back out of the canyon he was in. The rig looked like a great option however if you were mostly doing dirt road type driving.

So far we haven't had to deal with 50" vs 60" trails problems. Call it lucky but in Utah, Colorado, Arizonia and New Mexico we haven't had the issue. We rock crawl a lot and are in Moab now. The Sand Reeper has locking doffs front or rear. When on the road we unlock the 4 x 4 and the diff locks and roll. I have a DOT windshield steel doors etc.
The new Sand Reeper is 1100 cc lifted and cool. Just a better deal for us. 10 feet 3 inches long in the 2 seater
2015 F-450 CC 440 HP 19.5 DRW. 26,500 Resse FW
Jayco Sesimic 4212 Toy Hauler
Oreion Sandreeper-Street Legal and tilted for the on road
480 Watts ZAMP 3 panel US made Solar system-Smart Glass panels

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
TBRam wrote:
The room in the garage of toy hauler will be the deciding factor. I own a stealth and went with the 50" trail rzr. It was the best fit with room to walk around when loaded including the wheelbase and not just the width. Also from what I've read there's a lot of BLM trails now being restricted to 50" in NorCal and also Utah. Whichever you get there fun and will drain your wallet with aftermarket accessories. Enjoy!!
Good point about width, might not even be a issue where you are at. Where I want to use mine they have steel post at trail heads along with river bridges that restrict width. I had to rule out my first two choices because of this.

RickSo
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a 2016 RZR 1000S mainly for it's 60" width and 106" length. It fits in the TH or on the back of the truck. It should be done in a couple of weeks as I added a lot of accessories. I just couldn't fit the 4 seater.

2016 RZR 1000S added accessories
Rick
----------------------------------------
2015 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, 500/1850
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali 4x4 Dually
2012 Excel W41GKE Wild Cargo Toy Hauler
2010 BMW K1300GT / 2008 BMW R1200GS
2016 Polaris RZR 1000S

TBRam
Explorer
Explorer
The room in the garage of toy hauler will be the deciding factor. I own a stealth and went with the 50" trail rzr. It was the best fit with room to walk around when loaded including the wheelbase and not just the width. Also from what I've read there's a lot of BLM trails now being restricted to 50" in NorCal and also Utah. Whichever you get there fun and will drain your wallet with aftermarket accessories. Enjoy!!

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
Lot's of trade offs to be made based on what sort of riding you want to do. I bought a 2010 50inch two seat RZR back in the fall of 2009 and it has performed admirably over the years. I went that route because I wanted to explore a bunch of ATV trails that I couldn't get a bigger rig on. I can run trails that aren't an option for the bigger rigs, but the suspension is a compromise when running the dunes, or rough dirt roads at speed. It's the same issue you run into when building trucks for off roading. what works good in the mud isn't always so great on the sand. build for either of those and they generally don't do so good for rock crawling.

On thing to keep in mind if you're looking to street ride is to make sure you have the option to lock and unlock the differentials. Locked diffs are a bad thing on pavement, but open diffs leave you hanging sometimes on the trail

Finally, there are a lot of other good options out there besides the RZR. Myself I'm always looking for more power, so you might want to look for that and there are several different rigs with great power out there. Personally, I look for something you can make pretty much bullet proof as I like the desert rock crawling and hard core mountain trails, so it's something worth looking into. If you do look at options like the above mentioned Oreion Sand Reeper, keep in mind what sort of riding you're looking to do. We spent hours trying to help a guy get out of the area he got himself into down in the Moab Utah area when he tried to follow some ATV's down one of the harder tails. The open differentials and lack of low range gearing on his rig resulted in our having to do a lot of winching to get him back out of the canyon he was in. The rig looked like a great option however if you were mostly doing dirt road type driving.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
loboclone wrote:
Here we go......had a RZR got rid of it. Fiberglass, dust noise, CVT tranny and price . Did I say price.
I needed a street legal, safe steel everywhere 2 seater that was an off road RZR eater. Found out about the Oreion Sand Reeper, bought one and LOVE it. Paid $12,500 and licensed for the road, goes 60 mph and safe. The Polaris boys couldn't touch it . Took it Mexico beaches and pulled out RZR most every day. Arizona Motors in Lake Havusu is your nearest dealer, they will take care of you!
PM me for details

Maybe if comparing to an older RZR 800 but wouldnt come close to touching one of the newer machines on the trails.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Saying the Sand Reeper is "street legal" is a very looooonnnnng stretch of anyone's imagination, especially the cop that stops you on a public road, doing 60 MPH, in a speed restricted vehicle. Sorry, I will stay with a known product.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

loboclone
Explorer
Explorer
Here we go......had a RZR got rid of it. Fiberglass, dust noise, CVT tranny and price . Did I say price.
I needed a street legal, safe steel everywhere 2 seater that was an off road RZR eater. Found out about the Oreion Sand Reeper, bought one and LOVE it. Paid $12,500 and licensed for the road, goes 60 mph and safe. The Polaris boys couldn't touch it . Took it Mexico beaches and pulled out RZR most every day. Arizona Motors in Lake Havusu is your nearest dealer, they will take care of you!
PM me for details
2015 F-450 CC 440 HP 19.5 DRW. 26,500 Resse FW
Jayco Sesimic 4212 Toy Hauler
Oreion Sandreeper-Street Legal and tilted for the on road
480 Watts ZAMP 3 panel US made Solar system-Smart Glass panels

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Just keep one thing in mind, Fed & state trail rules and laws. The Feds have recently changed their rule and definition of an ATV trail, with some western states starting to move the same way. Any trail the Feds designate as an "ATV" trail is restricted to 50" machines (52½" max) and they are issuing $273 citations to those who are NOT in compliance. Some UTV trails are restricted to 55" or 60" and NO ATV/UTV trail in the Feds trail system is legally designated for a 64" machine. Now, are they all enforcing these rules ??? absolutely not, but the ones that are, or if you get a rookie Ranger trying to make a name for themselves, can make it costly.

The newer 2015 + 900's are the same chassis as the 1000 chassis and have the same ride. I have driven a friends Rzr4 on the trails of Idaho and it is no fun trying to maneuver the extra length around some of the corners and switchbacks.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the replys.
Just browsed the RZR forum post about 4 vs 2 and out of approx 100 responses maybe 6-8 would take a 2 seater. Main reason was ride and of course necessity for pax was up there, but many said even solo or 2 people they preferred the 4.
I though about the Yam, but after watching a video it just seems like a lot of shifting.
I have a good Polaris dealer about 3 mi from my house.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650