cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's a good hitch rating at least 18,000#?

shadoow
Explorer
Explorer
we currently have a 2007 chevy 3500hd, CC, D/A, 4wd and will be looking for a more recent version of this truck to take advantage of higher towing capabilities. Am interested in what a good hitch would be that has a rating of at 18,000-20,000. We currently have a B&W Companion, but I figure the chances of finding a truck with a turnover ball setup already installed will be slim and i don't want to go to the expense of installing that setup and buy another companion hitch (mine's only rated to 16,000#) so am looking at what other choices are out there there.
2 REPLIES 2

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
..You'll either have to go with a turnover ball if you want the Curt or go to a rail system to mount a regular 5er hitch....Ford and Ram both sell trucks with GN/5er prep packages in the bed....if you go that route, you just have to decided which way you want to go.

I went from a 16K Reese slider hitch to a 20K Reese Signaure hitch when I upgraded my 5er.

Other than that , if it's the Chevy you want,, then you'll have to get the hitch mounting unit put on your truck
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty tough to beat the B&W. In my experience, you might be surprised at the number of used trucks that have the gooseneck installed already. Current truck had the hole drilled but under mount taken out, so I made removal of mine from my trade and installation into this one part of the deal.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard