cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats Your Real Weights? Truck and Trailer. The Real Deal

juzplanekrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t know if it’s been done before or not but I was thinking about keeping a running list of real truck weights by year and type, and trailer weights by brand, size and what the total combined weight is of each guys rig. I was hoping the info would be a help for guys wondering about what the real weights are for a certain type of truck and to keep track of the more popular brand 5th wheel trailers. Another thing that will come out of it will be to see just how many guys really know what they are towing and if they know what their weight capacities are.
I’m sure it will take some time to compile a list and it will grow as guys add there info but I’m hoping it will help the newer guys in the long run to be directed back over to this thread in the future.
I’ll keep the TV lists to mainly the big 3 and from ¾ ton and up and I’ll try to keep the 5ers in a group by real GVW, length, and then manufacture. Any ideas are welcome as long as it makes things easier. And only real information can be given, so no guessing allowed. Only guys that have scaled there rigs or are totally certain of the weights.
Let’s see if I can keep the format real simple to type down and that will make it simpler for guys to refer back to and to keep track of.
Here we go……

TV - 2006 Dodge Mega Cab 3500 4x4, real scaled weight with full fuel, hitch, DH-DW and misc. gear = 7,500lbs. TV GVWR is 10,200lbs
5ver – KZ New Vision TH 38ft 14,500lbs loaded GVW. GVWR is 18,000lbs
Normal running TV & TH GCW weight= 22,500lbs, TV GCWR is 23,000lbs
Real Wet Pin Weight=2,950lbs
2021 Dodge Ram Longhorn 4x4 Dually
2019 KZ Durango Gold 371
B & W Companion 25K
859 REPLIES 859

cpt_majestic
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
cpt_majestic wrote:
I've read almost every page over the last week or so trying wrap my head around all these "real weights", I feel my head may explode.

I just got a 2017 6.7 F-250 with a
GVWR OF 10,000,
Rear GAWR of 6340
Front GAWR of 5600

getting a dually or a bigger truck is just not an option for me at this point so I have to deal with these numbers.

I have yet to officially weigh my truck, but the math I've done from other peoples similar GVWR and truck (3/4 ton), it looks like the Hitch weight would have to definitely be under 2000lbs, does that sound about right? Maybe 1800ish? I know I can't get an exact answer without weighing, but I just want to see what I can look at. Since this thread as been going on for years a lot of manufacturers seemed to have "lightened up" fifth wheels while still keeping some length.

For Example:
Some Cougars are in the 36-38 range while having a "list" hitch wait of under 2000 lbs.
Forest River make a lite series
Coachmen makes a lite series..

Secondly:
After reading this long thread, I have seen countless people above weight, I mean way above weight. I've seen people towing a loaded 43 foot fuzion with toys/water with a F250...I've seen people towing the big Montana's with a F250, just frightening now that I read this thread.

Thanks

Within tire and axle ratings but over GVWR simply increase your tonnage.

I literally have know idea what you're talking about

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
cpt_majestic wrote:
I've read almost every page over the last week or so trying wrap my head around all these "real weights", I feel my head may explode.

GVWR OF 10,000,
Rear GAWR of 6340
Front GAWR of 5600

getting a dually or a bigger truck is just not an option for me at this point so I have to deal with these numbers.

I have yet to officially weigh my truck, but the math I've done from other peoples similar GVWR and truck (3/4 ton), it looks like the Hitch weight would have to definitely be under 2000lbs, does that sound about right? Maybe 1800ish? I know I can't get an exact answer without weighing, but I just want to see what I can look at. Since this thread as been going on for years a lot of manufacturers seemed to have "lightened up" fifth wheels while still keeping some length.

For Example:
Some Cougars are in the 36-38 range while having a "list" hitch wait of under 2000 lbs.

Secondly:
After reading this long thread, I have seen countless people above weight, I mean way above weight. I've seen people towing a loaded 43 foot fuzion with toys/water with a F250...I've seen people towing the big Montana's with a F250, just frightening now that I read this thread.

Thanks

Within tire and axle ratings but over GVWR simply increase your tonnage.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cpt_majestic
Explorer
Explorer

GVWR OF 10,000,
Rear GAWR of 6340
Front GAWR of 5600

For Example:

Secondly:

Thanks

DLUCKIE
Explorer
Explorer
my truck is a 2016 ram 3500 dually. actual weight as loaded and full is 10000 lbs as weighed by the highway truck scales . The riverstone legacy 41.2 ft 5th wheel comes in at 17400 lbs ready for the road . max trailer weight is 18540 lbs . combo works great as I have towed over the apache summit (7600 ft high) with no problems . both rigs are great units and I highly recommend them both

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Snip...

Start a topic about this so we are not taking away from basic posting of peoples weights.

Thank you! 🙂
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
DW-gray wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I will continue this debate elsewhere.

I think they are confusing the numbers... the new trucks that have the 14k GVWR is for the TRUCK ONLY.. roughly 9k for the truck and 5k or so for payload.... The trailer AND truck weights are upwards of 24k-25k

I'm not confused about that. Never was confused about that. GVWR-GVW=Available payload. At no time should the GVWR be exceeded.

The truck and trailer combination is not supposed to exceed the gross combination weight rating (GCWR).

Start a topic about this so we are not taking away from basic posting of peoples weights.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

DW-gray
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I think they are confusing the numbers... the new trucks that have the 14k GVWR is for the TRUCK ONLY.. roughly 9k for the truck and 5k or so for payload.... The trailer AND truck weights are upwards of 24k-25k

I'm not confused about that. Never was confused about that. GVWR-GVW=Available payload. At no time should the GVWR be exceeded.

The truck and trailer combination is not supposed to exceed the gross combination weight rating (GCWR).
Dave Gray

RV Safety Educator & Consultant

08 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4, Dually, 6.7L Diesel, 09 Heartland Cyclone 4012

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

DW-gray
Explorer
Explorer
avvidclif1 wrote:
DW-gray wrote:
avvidclif1 wrote:
Where do you think the 14k number came from???? And why?

I don't know and I don't make assumptions. The point could be correct. I want to see it in writing from an authoritative source.

Did you look up the link I posted???

Yes I did and that does not prove the point I think was being assumed.

The way I read someone's point was that it is implied that the truck's GVWR of 14K was limited for insurance purposes only, and the implication is that the truck is capable of safely towing much more. That's the proof I'm want to read. Not an assumption or opinion.

Wikipedia says no such thing. Besides, I don't trust that source. If you go to some of the actual government documents, they show that a Class 3 truck (10,001-14,000 lbs.) is a medium duty truck. States can have a different determination of weight classification.

Regardless of GVWR, it is still used in part to calculate the GCWR and TWR set by the J2807 standards that the manufacturers use voluntarily.
Dave Gray

DW-gray
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
You are missing the point. I DO tow 23K and I am "WAY"over my 14K GVWR. You can't run full RAWR and not be over the trucks 14K GVWR.

YES I am over RAWR by a few pounds, that is because I was hauling a complete clutch assembly.

Seems to me there may be a communication problem here. Let’s refer back to some previous comments.

Cummins12V98 wrote: GVWR is usually not as important as axle ratings since many times they equal tire capacity.

DW-gray wrote: Sorry, but I do not agree. If you would take notice, the GVWR will be exceeded before the sum of the GAWRs for normal towing setup. All owner's manuals clearly warn not to exceed the GVWR and GAWRs. Braking capacity is based on the GVWR, not the GAWRs.

Cummins12V98 wrote: Example, my RAM DRW is 14K GVWR. My RAWR is 9,750# my FAWR is 6,000#. If I load my rear axle to it's rating and don't load a single thing on my front axle I will be well over my GVWR.

Your example proves my point, did it not? The sum of the GAWRs will always exceed the GVWR.

Your CAT scale record does show you are exceeding the GVWR. If you were hauling a clutch assembly in the truck bed (whatever the weight of that is) while you are towing your 5th wheel RV, I can understand exceeding the GAWR and GVWR. If you could have transferred some weight from the truck to the rear of the trailer, you may not have exceeded the truck ratings. However, I don’t know how close you are to exceeding the trailer’s GVWR. Is it possible the redistribute the load in your trailer to remove some pin weight?

When I used to haul a Smart car in my toy hauler, it would remove about 300 pounds from the pin.
Dave Gray

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
DW-gray wrote:
avvidclif1 wrote:

I don't know and I don't make assumptions. The point could be correct. I want to see it in writing from an authoritative source.

Did you look up the link I posted???
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

DW-gray
Explorer
Explorer
avvidclif1 wrote:

Dave Gray

DW-gray
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
DW-gray wrote:
One of your points was "The 14k is to keep the truck in the class 3." How do you know that? Where is a document with that claim? Do you have a document stating that the truck in has been derated? If so, how much?

I didn't make that statement about 14k class of truck being derated.

That's what happens when someone interrupts a conversation I'm attempting to have with someone else and I didn't notice I was replying to the wrong person. Sorry about that.
Dave Gray

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
DW-gray wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
If anyone wants to stay at 14K you really are not going to be hauling a very large 5er.

Ford and Ram have one-ton dually trucks with 14K GVWR. Depending on the style and GVW, these trucks could realistically tow 23.3K to 27.5K fifth wheel. Are there any fifth wheel RVs with a GVWR more than that?

If anyone has a heavier 5th wheel, I hope they are towing with an MDT or HDT.

You are missing the point. I DO tow 23K and I am "WAY"over my 14K GVWR. You can't run full RAWR and not be over the trucks 14K GVWR.

YES I am over RAWR by a few pounds, that is because I was hauling a complete clutch assembly.