cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wheel Bearings

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
I just had my 5er, 2009 Silverback, 35ft, at the repair shop. I had the never lube bearings replaced with new ones. A little over 25,000 miles on the old ones. When my trailer guy pressed out one of them, it fell apart in his hands. He also said that the grease smelled bad. I have never trusted them at all. We had discussed replacing them after a 6500 mile trip this past summer. Got back home from that trip and waited until after our Thanksgiving before bringing the 5er to him. We did go camping for 10 days during that time. Another 500 miles or so. I guess we got very lucky. So I guess the moral of the story is, have your never lube bearings checked before too many miles are put on them. Stay safe.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF
12 REPLIES 12

Helipilot
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking the DRV with the oil bath bearings would be the best choice. We will be purchasing one in the near future and as recommended on this forum it will be a good used unit and thanks for the tip. Before we retired and sold the company, we had commercial trailers using the oil bath bearings and had very little problems with them. Easy to check and also to change the oil on a regular rotation.
Roger and Barbara
On the pale blue planet, retired and happy!
2015 GMC Crew Cab Duramax DRW
2011 DRV MS 36RSSB3 with vanity slide

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
The other three came out ok. They were all given to me when I picked up the 5er. Personally I just don't trust them. Good for you who had theirs last longer. I just related my findings and don't want a pi**ing match going on here.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
VE3PJF

jujububbajr
Explorer
Explorer
http://youtu.be/YcZD7dZep8k

Good video on re packing bearings.
2004 Ram 3500 2wd Dually
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
They should/WILL last alot longer than 25,000 miles.......

THIS.. You do know that the only way to press them out is by using the inner race because of the way the retaining lip is machined in the back of the hub, so you can destroy the bearing getting it out. If they were installed by using the outer race to push them in

Could have been the issue for them "falling apart".

thedoghouse
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
thedoghouse wrote:
Atleast DEXTER will sale you new bearings. LIPPERT won't stand behind their axles and will not sale you sealed bearing!!! They will gladly sale you new axles tho. Terrible company. Shame on LIPPERT

I had some problems with the never-lube bearings on my lippert axles. Lippert paid the RV shop to replace them without any hassle at all.

If I had Lippert axles under my fiver I would call them today and get a spare bearing. I'm not sure what size you have but if it's the 49mm I hope you have better luck than me. Just call them you may need in future
2008 Holiday Rambler Presidential Suite 36 RLT
2011 Ford F350 CC DRW B&W Companion

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
thedoghouse wrote:
Atleast DEXTER will sale you new bearings. LIPPERT won't stand behind their axles and will not sale you sealed bearing!!! They will gladly sale you new axles tho. Terrible company. Shame on LIPPERT

I had some problems with the never-lube bearings on my lippert axles. Lippert paid the RV shop to replace them without any hassle at all.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

thedoghouse
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Holiday Rambler Presidential Suite 36 RLT
2011 Ford F350 CC DRW B&W Companion

Denny___Jami
Explorer
Explorer
Pipeman wrote:
I just had my 5er, 2009 Silverback, 35ft, at the repair shop. I had the never lube bearings replaced with new ones. A little over 25,000 miles on the old ones. When my trailer guy pressed out one of them, it fell apart in his hands. He also said that the grease smelled bad. I have never trusted them at all. We had discussed replacing them after a 6500 mile trip this past summer. Got back home from that trip and waited until after our Thanksgiving before bringing the 5er to him. We did go camping for 10 days during that time. Another 500 miles or so. I guess we got very lucky. So I guess the moral of the story is, have your never lube bearings checked before too many miles are put on them. Stay safe.

I replaced mine after 7 years and 70 K miles because one was starting to run warm. You do know that the only way to press them out is by using the inner race because of the way the retaining lip is machined in the back of the hub, so you can destroy the bearing getting it out. If they were installed by using the outer race to push them in I wouldn't worry about them, just check for heat when you stop every once in a while. I use my hand on the lug nuts to check the temp.

Denny
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 gears Air Lifts
2003 HitchHiker Premier 35FKTG 215/75/17.5 Goodyear G114 Tires

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
But Larry I saw you toss that dually a long ways. Those Chryco trucks are a lot lighter than my GM, hahaha
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
VE3PJF

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
yep you could have been sitin on the side of the road.

Yup,,been there, done that then spent a week in a wrecker's yard in Griffin GA waiting for dexter to get around to shipping me parts. I don't trust those P.O.S nev-r-lube bearings any farther than I can toss my dually!!
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Replaced a couple of mine this spring after estimated 75,000 miles. Replaced with complete brake drum & brake shoes & plate.

Did the job myself. The drums that came off had a little bearing play but no wobble. The 2 which were not replaced were the same. Off to Alaska we went. 12,000 miles later the old ones still seem to be the same. I have the 2 removed & carry as spares with life left in them.

Nev R Lubes should give at least 100,000 miles without issue, 150,000 is not unusual.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
yep you could have been sitin on the side of the road.