Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wheel Camber?

TheFrailer
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

Newby full timer of 3 months here. Just got back from a 1300 mile round trip to South Florida in our new (to us) 2003 Trail Lite 5th wheel. It was an awesome run with relatively little problems, but a question for some of the more knowledgeable....

At one point, we made a rest stop in a drive way of a church. There was a fairly tight turn that I stopped in the middle of to get out and check things out. No particular reason other than convenience. The truck and trailer were sitting level, but at about a 60 degree angle to each other. As I'm walking around, I notice that one of the wheels on the trailer axle is "cambered" out more than the other. I feared the worst, temperature tested all the rims (all about 100 degrees f) and figured since we were in the middle of nowhere, I'd keep going.

Later, on another break, the rig was in a straight line and the wheels were oriented similarly.

I wondered... do dual axle trailer wheels camber in tight turns?

Is this normal?

After making this observation, I drove another 400 miles of so home, with no incident. Thought I'd see if anyone here could shed some light.

Many thanks

The Frailer
8 REPLIES 8

TheFrailer
Explorer
Explorer
I carry an IR heat sensor for checking temps of tires and bearings. Before that, I used to spit on the rims to see if they were overheated. Living in the deep south, I've seen my share of hung brake pads heating things up.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
When jack knifed the scrubbing & twisting along with creaks & groans can be quite disconcerting. It is alot of stress & not just on the tires. Think what is being transferred to the spring hangers as well.

Have some sympathy for your running gear & try to avoid the stress on it.

If something is wrong, your tires will let you know in the form of abnormal wear. Pay attention to them. Never hurts to give them a little touch for excessive heat check when stopped for a potty break.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer
When turning the 5W is rotating around a pivot point. With a dual axle vehicle none of the tires turn at the same radius. The next time you are out and are on fresh dirt make a sharp turn and look at the 4 tire tracks left on the dirt.

Watch the rear pair of duals of a 18 wheel trailer making a sharp turn. You will see tire scrubbing big time.
2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

TheFrailer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. It's reassuring to know that a wheel isn't going to pop off the trailer!

Roll on!

The Frailer

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
I never noticed this in 14 years of owning a travel trailer. After getting my fifth wheel, I noticed it right away. While I know it is normal, it is still disconcerting. I'm sure it is because of the tighter turn capability.
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
The rear tires will scrub and roll when turning tight forward, The front tires do the same when you are backing up in a tight turn. Just roll to straighten them out and they will be fine.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, normal but what ever you do, dont leave them parked that way or they may start failing internally.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes they do, normal reaction to a tight turn. You should watch a triple axle in a tight turn. 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"