cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which fifth wheel hitch in moderate price range

rowdybuckster
Explorer
Explorer
I am leaning toward the Pro 15 Reese, but am seeing lots of used ones for sale, is it a problem child? Also looking at the Draw-Tite, an the husky. Also is there that much difference between the 15k an the 16K except for the price? Not interested in the B&W it's more than I want to pay, I know they are a good product but out of my price range. Your input would be very helpful.
they say a dump question is one that is not ask, So I am saying I don't know about this hitch thing, that is why I am asking. Thanks for your input.
22 REPLIES 22

Busdriver
Explorer II
Explorer II
B&Wb Patroit

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a Hijacker sliding bar hitch for years and loved it. I have a B&W Patriot manual slider now and love it also.

The light weight rated hitches tend to have cheaper king pin capture/latch mechanisms. As someone pointed out the hitch is not a wise place to try and save money.

Many have recommended the Andersen, but do not list a few short comings like, need for safety chains, extra lifting and lowering to hitch and unhitch and service departments damaging the king pin adapter with their fork lift.

If you can live with the first two and always remove the adapter if you leave it for service then the light weight and easy removal from the TV is attractive. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Rigid Hitch and compare the major brands.

Rigid Hitch 5th wheels

Anything ove $100 is free shipping. This is where I got my B&W Patriot which is considerably cheaper than the companion with the same great quality. I am a dealer for them so I got mine a lot cheaper but you get the price comparison on there too.

Look at the pictures of the hitches you are considering look how they are made. Look how they operate. There is tons of info on this website.

As far as the Anderson goes, they will have reduced bucking because of the ball design. That is basically it. The draw back is that it is also a ball type hitch. You have to be good at lining it up or you will constantly be in and out of the truck just like a bumper hitch trailer. Sure you can look out the back window but that is not always fool proof either.

With a good 5th wheel hitch as long as you are reasonable close you just back in, lock the breaks, get out and put in the lock pin.

The choice is ultimately up to you. I love my B&W and wouldnt give it up for anything. My last boat anchor was a Curt slide bar style, and I can tell you that was the biggest hunk of **** ever. That model didnt even have a locking mechanism and the bar would slide out a little bit every time I would go around a corner. most of the time it was almost unhooked by the time I would get to my destination. I ended up putting a ratchet strap around it to keep it in place until I got the Patriot.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
CarolynandBob wrote:
So it seam most would go with a goose neck type hitch. Is it a big deal to change the 5th wheel to this set up?

We are looking at new 5th wheels now. Can someone explain why this is a preferred set up?

Use the search function or start the 10,000th thread on goose neck conversions. Most trailer manufactures will void warranty if one is used. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ford_coupe
Explorer
Explorer
x4 on husky,had ours 7 years now no problems.

CarolynandBob
Explorer
Explorer
So it seam most would go with a goose neck type hitch. Is it a big deal to change the 5th wheel to this set up?

We are looking at new 5th wheels now. Can someone explain why this is a preferred set up?
2017 Vilano 375FL (Bob's Cabin Carolyn's Beach House)
2017 F350 Dually 4x4
8 Year old Pug/Terrier
9 Year old Puggle
8 Year old Boxer/Greyhound

fowl8717
Explorer
Explorer
Had Reese 16 K on last truck. B&W now. There is a 10 fold increase in quality and functionality with the B&W and it is made in the USA. Reese in China.

mx727
Explorer
Explorer
If you ever use your truck for anything else, don't get anything that requires rails in the bed.
2017 Montana 3950BR

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on the Husky 16k. 3 5ers since 2005. No issues.
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
oilcan1001 wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Check out the Andersen Ultimate.

x2 ^^. Hated to give mine up.

Rob

x3

I'm pretty new to this 5th wheel thing myself and did a lot of research on the - Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch - and that is what I went with. I really like it so far. I've read many threads from users and not one bad thing.

X4 on the Andersen Ultimate. I have the rail mount version.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
While not for everyone, I bought my Reese 15K dual jaw slider used for $150. Bought the universal mounting rails on Ebay for $90. Had a friend install with my help. That was almost 5 years ago. Still like my Reese hitch.

That said, if I were inclined to change hitches. I would look into the Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection. Good luck OPer.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
The ProSeries 15k is what they call a slide bar jaw design. As some have alluded to the more premium hitches use wrap around Jaws. Either a single claw jaw or a double claw jaw.

It is worth noting that for years people swore by slide bar jaw hitches because of how secure they are. Basically if the bar is across he pin there is no way for the hitch to let go of the kingpin.

The problem comes when it's time to unhitch. The ProSeries 15k is not a true 4 way articulating hitch. It's a 2- way articulating hitch with a plate that can pivot side to side. Note that the slide bar does not pivot side to side just the top plate.

If your camper and truck is unlevel when you try to unhitch you can find your king pin and slide bar in a bind...meaning that's it time to break out the mallet. Some have mitigated this by slightly backing into the kingpin when they get the camper positioned, setting the parking break, and then unhitch. This relieves the pressure on the slide bar and can make it easier to unhitch. Or they have resorted to leveling the truck with boards to relieve the bind.

Many in a position you are in have simply watched Craigslist or visited some Mom&Pop RV stores and bought a used fifth wheel hitch. The Reese dual jaw hitch with 4 way articulation is a great hitch. You can service them easily as Reese makes replacement springs and jaws if you need them. You should be able to find one for well under $300.00. The latching handle on these 16k Reese hitches has a strange upward bend in them and some kingpin boxes hit them depending on how they are designed. A hacksaw and a drill bit fixes this problem.

The ProSeries 15k is a strong hitch and it has great reviews on etrailer. Many are happy with it. If you go with this hitch just learn the ins and outs of using it and enjoy camping.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

oilcan1001
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Check out the Andersen Ultimate.

x2 ^^. Hated to give mine up.

Rob

x3

I'm pretty new to this 5th wheel thing myself and did a lot of research on the - Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch - and that is what I went with. I really like it so far. I've read many threads from users and not one bad thing.

tmm2good
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
Sounds like you don't want to but let me beg you to spend the money for a quality product. Having had a cheapo hitch and now a quality one I can tell you I'd rather just tow a tent trailer than go back to a crappy hitch. The difference is night and day between the two. Save a few hundred dollars somewhere else and you'll be much happier.

X100
18 GD Momentum 376
13 GMC Denali Dually D/A
Motorcycles / ATV's