cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which tires

jeepman71
Explorer
Explorer
What are your thoughts about the following ST tires.

Hercules load range D
Task Master load range D
Carlisle RH load range D
Tow Master load range E
Omni load range E

I am looking to replace the tires on my 2013 Rockwood fifth wheel that had load range C.

Thanks
28 REPLIES 28

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the Geostar a steel ply carcass tire like the Sailun and G614? Chris

On edit, I found this:

"It is a Tiawanese made tire. Made by Nankang and distribute in the US by Tireco.
It is also listed as a LT tire not a ST tire.
With an all steel casing it just might be the real deal.
With a capacity of 3750lbs @110psi it appears to be a legitimate 16 inch G-rated commercial tire rated for towing.
Geostar G574
I wonder what the tire weight is?? On edit the tire weight is 57lbs according to a distributors website.
Just make sure your 16 inch wheels are rated for 100psi.
I'd be real curious about the success or failures with this tire??
Good Luck with that tire.

* This post was edited 04/30/11 05:27am by gitane59 *"
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

BeerCan
Explorer
Explorer
soling2003 -- I am interested in your opinion of the Geostar. I had narrowed my choices between the Geostar and the Sailun when shopping and went Sailun.

How many miles do you have on them? Like, dislikes etc? Any pics?

I think these 2 tires are a great choice for those of us that want more load range but don't want to move to 17.5"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
soling2003 wrote:
Just blew up a Towmaster, after traveling only 60 miles from the camp ground. It is less than a year old with about 1000 miles on it. The other three are two year old Akurets, and one of them had a leak in the sidewall when we got ready to leave two days later. but with no spare left, we limped down the street to Les Schwab. We have replaced 7 tires in the last three years since we bought this thing.

Even though the old ones were 3500lb tires on 7000lb axles, with axle weight total of about 1200lbs, I went with the LT Geostar 14ply tires with a 3750lb rating. You could easily feel the difference in thickness on the inside of the rim of the tires. The trailer felt more stable with the stiffer sidewalls.

With lifetime warranty, etc, I hope it is the last ones we need for awhile now.

With my experience, The Tow master, Tow King, etc. the Akurets, are all junk. I wouldn't let anyone GIVE me another one of those. I wanted to tell the guy that had the trailer next to us getting a new set of Tow Masters on his trailer to think again after looking at my destroyed tire.

You experience is the dirty little secret of ST tires and large trailers. You made a good choice by distancing yourself from those cheap inferior tires. You will find your trailer tows more stable and rolls down the road easier.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

soling2003
Explorer
Explorer
Just blew up a Towmaster, after traveling only 60 miles from the camp ground. It is less than a year old with about 1000 miles on it. The other three are two year old Akurets, and one of them had a leak in the sidewall when we got ready to leave two days later. but with no spare left, we limped down the street to Les Schwab. We have replaced 7 tires in the last three years since we bought this thing.

Even though the old ones were 3500lb tires on 7000lb axles, with axle weight total of about 1200lbs, I went with the LT Geostar 14ply tires with a 3750lb rating. You could easily feel the difference in thickness on the inside of the rim of the tires. The trailer felt more stable with the stiffer sidewalls.

With lifetime warranty, etc, I hope it is the last ones we need for awhile now.

With my experience, The Tow master, Tow King, etc. the Akurets, are all junk. I wouldn't let anyone GIVE me another one of those. I wanted to tell the guy that had the trailer next to us getting a new set of Tow Masters on his trailer to think again after looking at my destroyed tire.
DW and 2 dogs
2011 Ford F350 Dually LB 4x4 CC 6.7 diesel
2007 Grand Junction 35TMS
Peterson 37(just sold) T-37 R/C Sailboat at home

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
avvidclif1 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
jeepman71 wrote:

I am pretty finicky with my equipment so things are kept up.

You are aware that trailer tires are rated at 62MPH max. On all I have seen anyway.

Try 65mph.

I stand corrected, it is 65. My cruising speed is 62...
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

tcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Maxxis. Purchased through Discount Tire. I use load "E".
Let's go camping.......

Terry & Eileen
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2015 RAM 3500 4X2 / 6.7 Cummins diesel
Houston, Texas

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
All of those tires are junk- Get LT tires and be done with it.
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everybody seems to think that their trailer is THE special case.

Once again:

LT

LT

LT
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
avvidclif1 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
jeepman71 wrote:

You are aware that trailer tires are rated at 62MPH max. On all I have seen anyway.

Try 65mph.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
jeepman71 wrote:

Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
jeepman71 wrote:

That statement and cheap ST tires is like trying to mix oil and water. It mixes for a short time only, separating back to it's basic components in a short time.

Each day or two another tire thread appears here and 95 percent of them are about failed ST tires. Some would like to blame the user. However we are talking about a product that has changed very little and was original intended for local use on utility type trailers.

Put them on large tall RV trailers and drive them hour after hour at freeway speed and we regularly read about all the failures. Couple that with a trailer with plywood flooring, wiring and gas line in the path of a failed tire and 2000-4000 dollars in damage is common.

I smart "finicky" person would be looking for a tire that is of higher quality with a better track record. Chris

jeepman71
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
jeepman71 wrote:
I am going to guess the rims are only rated for 2150 each and with the smallish bolt pattern I am sure a 16" wheel is out of the question. At this point I am not looking to replace the wheels, I like the looks and don't want to spend the money. I would think that upgrading the tires to a load range D and running at 60 psi would make a huge improvement on the tire blowup problem. At 60 psi with a load range D my capacity improves by 230# per tire. I know the wheel is still an LR C.

I do not believe you have said much about how you use your trailer! Many believe ST tires should be replaced at three years IF they last that long and 12k to 15k miles. That makes them a poor investment on top of the risk they add regrading
failure. Take a look at the Maxxis Bravo 15" LRD LT tires.

http://www.maxxis.com/AutomobileLight-Truck/Light-Truck-SUV/UE-168N-Bravo-Series.aspx

Chris

Good Point Chris,

WE mostly run short 300 mile round trip or less for weekend outings. I try to never run my rv on gravel any more than necessary. We run fairly light as far a cargo. Full water tank ussualy but not much in other cargo. We do put the rv on a diet every year. We do a lot of mountain driving and when on the hiway I set the cruise at 65 and let it roll. I got into these habits with our previouse RV a 96 class A gasser, it worked well so we just stuck with it. I am pretty finicky with my equipment so things are kept up.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
jeepman71 wrote:
What are your thoughts about the following ST tires.

Hercules load range D
Task Master load range D
Carlisle RH load range D
Tow Master load range E
Omni load range E

I am looking to replace the tires on my 2013 Rockwood fifth wheel that had load range C.

Thanks

How many miles do you tow a year? I wouldn't spend the money for Maxxis if you only go out a few times a year and don't travel very far. If you go out a lot and put a lot of miles a year on then yes Maxxis. ST tires are generally only good for 5-7 yrs depending on what site you read. So if you only put 4-500 miles a year on them then I would look at Goodyear Marathons. Upgrading to a larger higher capacity tire will help you. Most tire issues are from under inflation, heat, driving to fast and overloading.

Yikes!

"Design for Disaster" advice!.:(
(to save a few bucks??)

Try a search on GY Marathons (AKA "Balloons") on any site you can think of. (Including the Airstream TT owners forums)..:S

BAD (GY) Karma - back to and including when they were made in the USA.

Only *GOOD* thing to say about Goodyear is they will pay for the
damage done to your trailer when they fail.

Maxxis.

~

I just got done putting close to 10,000 miles on a set of GY Marathons without any trouble. If I hadn't traded the TT in on a 5'er (that by the way also has GY Marathons) I would still be running the GY'ers. They were 2-1/2 yrs old. I would've ran them thru this summer. Sorry you don't agree with my suggestion to run a tire that from my personal experience did great.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
jeepman71 wrote:
I am going to guess the rims are only rated for 2150 each and with the smallish bolt pattern I am sure a 16" wheel is out of the question. At this point I am not looking to replace the wheels, I like the looks and don't want to spend the money. I would think that upgrading the tires to a load range D and running at 60 psi would make a huge improvement on the tire blowup problem. At 60 psi with a load range D my capacity improves by 230# per tire. I know the wheel is still an LR C.

I do not believe you have said much about how you use your trailer! Many believe ST tires should be replaced at three years IF they last that long and 12k to 15k miles. That makes them a poor investment on top of the risk they add regrading
failure. Take a look at the Maxxis Bravo 15" LRD LT tires.

http://www.maxxis.com/AutomobileLight-Truck/Light-Truck-SUV/UE-168N-Bravo-Series.aspx

Chris