cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WI-FI EXTENDER IN A FW

TGPILOT
Explorer
Explorer
Okay guys, getting ready to head out in a few weeks to spend a few months back in ID and MT. Will also be in and around the Teton's and Yellowstone quite a bit.

In the past I've experienced a lot of weak signal if any at all in my FW. I have a Net Gear WI-FI extender here at home that I am not using anymore. My question is, will it work in my FW and on the parks WI-FI? If not or there is a better way, what would you guys recommend?

I've also never tried using my cellphone as a hot spot in the past. What is everyone's experience with a cell phone hot spot? Or, is there a better system to that, and the cost of it?

Not streaming movies, but wife and I do use our WI-FI a lot here at home, what is the average that two people would use? Thanks for every ones input.
14 REPLIES 14

TGPILOT
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again guys, all this different info really helps. Now to figure it out.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I love using my phone as a hotspot. It has good security built in, I think -- a password to connect, and (optionally) a white list of computers that are allowed to connect. It is also very fast.

I can see on the phone screen a list of currently connected computers. I check that before I do my banking, make sure it is only me.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
scbwr wrote:
I've just recently purchased and set up the equipment described on this blog:

Signal booster and more!

I'm on the road on a 6 week trip, and I've used it a couple of times and it's working well. I like adding a layer of security for when I have to do a few banking chores.

If you watch the video, you'll see that it requires a certain level of computer skill, but if you can handle it, it's a great option for under $100. But, as clearly pointed out, all you are doing is amplifying the campground signal. Most of the time, there isn't anyway that you are going to stream video using the internet signal provided by campgrounds.

This is just one option. I don't have any experience with tethering via a smart phone. And, I've never wanted to get into the expense of any dish based system.

I ordered one of these and already had Ethernet patch cables, so cost was $68.50.

It took me about an hour to set it up with a Windows 8.1 laptop while watching the video on my desk computer. Of course I am a retired data network engineer and did a lot of poking around. Looking at things like the list of users in the airGateway etc.

I see us using it on the boat to get marina WiFi and in the Arizona RV park to get to the towers. I use to use an usb high powered external WiFi unit, but could not get it to run on the windows 8/8.1 machines.

I would note that the power on the down stream side to your computer, phone, tablet or other device is turned down by default, so I could not see the airGateway from 50 or 60 feet away inside our home. We have two WiFi router in the house and I could see the one close to this unit at the other end of the house with my smart phone. I bought the unit into the living room and it connected on the top side to that distance router with a much stronger DB reading than my smart phone. So if you want more range to wonder around with a mobile device you will want to bump that downstream setting up in the airGateway(the 192.168.1.1 device). I may test that out a bit tomorrow, however in the boat or trailer that is not an issue. However to let friends in near by boats relay through it for marina WiFi it may need to be turned up.

We do have tethering on our Verizon Moto X's, however that can eat up data pretty fast.

I also have a Verizon Jetpak setup on Telus in Canada that I use on the boat or when at our friend ski condo in Canada.

A person can not have enough weapons in their data/internet arsenal. Chris

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

rattleNsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Verizon 'Jetpack' on a monthly basis. It's a lil' pricey, but secure with WPA2 and VERY fast and reliable. Since I work when we have an extended camping calendar it's necessary.
2010 Cedar Creek 34SATS (The Beast) & 20k Curt Q20 roller slider hitch
2006 Ford F350 SRW,SC Powerstroke diesel Lariat

2003 Harley Heritage Softail (Hogzilla)
and a wifey with tons of patience....

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
TGPILOT wrote:
Thanks guys for all the info, it sure gives me a lot to think about. If anyone has any ideas or thoughts, please let me know.

I do have another question. If, I use my cell phone as a hot spot, is it secure? Can I keep others from logging onto it or my computer? I am going to investigate the stuff you guys gave me to look at.

I use Foxfi (part of PdaNet +) and it has WPA2 security feature.

More info here: foxfi info

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

TGPILOT
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys for all the info, it sure gives me a lot to think about. If anyone has any ideas or thoughts, please let me know.

I do have another question. If, I use my cell phone as a hot spot, is it secure? Can I keep others from logging onto it or my computer? I am going to investigate the stuff you guys gave me to look at.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
*Technology Corner* forum (here) will yield more info.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
We usually just tether the the laptop to the phone. Several downloads available onTHIS site. Pdanet does a pretty good job for droids.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Verizon Mi-Fi and Wilson Sleek.
I can use the Sleek for either my cell phone or my Mi-Fi.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
We also use the hotspot on our phones. We get 5gbs per month and have never gone over that, no streaming just emails etc. as stated using parks wifi is dependant on other peoples usage, and it can get real slow! Also, you are on a "public" network and shady types could hack into your devices and get personal info. Only drawback is occasionaly signal strenght is low, so internet speeds are down, this has happened to us only twice in the last six months so it is not a big issue.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've just recently purchased and set up the equipment described on this blog:

Signal booster and more!

I'm on the road on a 6 week trip, and I've used it a couple of times and it's working well. I like adding a layer of security for when I have to do a few banking chores.

If you watch the video, you'll see that it requires a certain level of computer skill, but if you can handle it, it's a great option for under $100. But, as clearly pointed out, all you are doing is amplifying the campground signal. Most of the time, there isn't anyway that you are going to stream video using the internet signal provided by campgrounds.

This is just one option. I don't have any experience with tethering via a smart phone. And, I've never wanted to get into the expense of any dish based system.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

greende
Explorer
Explorer
I use my phone as a wifi hotspot all the time. I use a Wilson sleek amplifier and a trucker antenna mounted on the ladder on the back of my rig. My wife is taking online courses to get her masters in pharmacy infomatics and has to study when we are camping. Works well. You just have to watch your data used.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can check my usage by clicking on settings (lower R) and then on the wifi singal strength bar graph and then R click on it to show usage. Like you I do not stream movies and in the last 60 days at home I've used 12 GBs. This past winter as snowbirds on a slower connection I used 10 GB in 60 days but this is while sitting still. On the road traveling it would probably be half that or less.
*I use this USB WiFi adapter with a Yagi antenna for less than $35 as it usually increases the signal strength 5 fold.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
First your FW is a tincan that blocks signals so you need an external antenna or put the extender in a window aimed at the park wifi antenna. I have on the roof a Hawkings Dipole connected to a Smart Repeater router inside.(Google both) Works great to picking up wifi signals. Do a scan and select the park cg to connect with. However this is all dependent on the strength of the signal from the cg and if there is anything in the way of the park antenna to your antenna. Wifi does not travel very far and doesnt like to be blocked by trees, rv's etc and if the rigs between you and the park wifi are streaming HD Netflix, their bandwidth might not be enough for you to get much, as well. We need internet for work and this system helps us get away with less stress.

Happy Trails!
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker