Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you recommend a 5th wheel for me?

OnTaMove
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I'm retiring next year and want to hit the road. I've done a lot of RVing in my life, but always as the passenger in someone else's rig. This time I want to go solo. I'm a 50 year female.

I've got two priorities:
*I want to have a vehicle I'd be comfortable driving in urban areas.
*I want a real mattress - not a chunk of foam - to sleep on. Even if it is just a twin, even if it has to fold up into the wall during the day like a murphy bed.

I was thinking about a 19' Sprinter Van conversion, but I just don't think they have enough room - I haven't seen one yet that had a "bed" I think I could sleep on.

So now I am thinking about trailers, so that I can unhitch the pickup truck and use it for exploring the area.

I've never used a 5th wheel in my life, but I've been told they are the way to go.

So, please, folks on this forum: do you agree that 5th wheels are easier to operate and tow?

And, very importantly: are they practical for a solo traveler who wants to hitch and unhitch weekly? Or is that a two-person job?

And finally: since I'll be traveling on my own, I don't need a huge amount of space. So it seems obvious to me that I should start by looking at the shortest trailers out there. But I want to ask: is there any counterintuitive reason why sometimes a bigger is easier to handle?
49 REPLIES 49

allimax
Explorer
Explorer
OnTaMove wrote:
cherrykiss3 wrote:
I have a 1 ton dually diesel that I drive every day. Yes I park out in taxi land at the store but that is ok with me.

Free exercise!!

Lets assume I pick out a 5th wheel first and then start shopping for a truck.

Obviously, I need to look at the truck's towing capacity. But how do you figure for load capacity? In other words - some percentage of the weight of the trailer has to be assumed to be "in" the bed of the truck. Is there a rule of thumb for this? Or is it something specific that the trailer manufacturer sets out?

And where do I get the hitch: the truck vendor, the trailer vendor, or a third party?

You need to pay attention to the "payload" capacity of the truck. That is the weight, over and above the actual weight of the truck, that it can carry. For example: if your truck weighs 7500 lbs., and you have a GVW of 10,000 lbs., you have a payload capacity of 2500 lbs. This weight includes fuel, passengers, gear, anything added in to the truck. Then you consider the "pin" weight of the fifth wheel. That is the weight of the trailer that will be in the bed of your truck being supported by the rear axle. This weight rating is provided by the trailer manufacturer. All these weights combined should not be over your GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight).
Most RV dealers will sell and install a hitch suited to the 5er you select.
This may all sound overwhelming, but it's not that bad. There are a lot of folks on this site willing to lend their experise, and you learn by doing. Best of luck with your decisions, and keep us informed.
2010 Montana 3455SA
Mor/Ride kingpin, wet bolts, Progressive Ind. HW-50C EMS,TST 507RV TPMS, GY G614's
'07.5 Silverado D/A LMM 3500HD
Extended Cab DRW 4x4 LTZ
Bilstein, Reese R20, Banks Economind tuner, Speedbrake, RamAir, Monster exhaust

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Basic guideline
1/2 ton trucks not auitable for fifth wheel towing.
3/4 ton truck suitable for a fiver up to a maximumof 10,000 pounds GVWR
1 ton SRW suitable for fivers up to about 12,000 pounds GVWR
1 ton dually suitable for fivers up to about 16,000 GVWR
Anything heavier you really need more truck.
While there will be a lot of arguments on my numbers they are IMHO a good rule of thumb.
Remember you can never have too much truck, but there sure are a lot of can my truck tow this questions posted on the forums every year.

OnTaMove
Explorer
Explorer
cherrykiss3 wrote:
I have a 1 ton dually diesel that I drive every day. Yes I park out in taxi land at the store but that is ok with me.

Free exercise!!

Lets assume I pick out a 5th wheel first and then start shopping for a truck.

Obviously, I need to look at the truck's towing capacity. But how do you figure for load capacity? In other words - some percentage of the weight of the trailer has to be assumed to be "in" the bed of the truck. Is there a rule of thumb for this? Or is it something specific that the trailer manufacturer sets out?

And where do I get the hitch: the truck vendor, the trailer vendor, or a third party?

cherrykiss3
Explorer
Explorer
OnTaMove I am a 68yr old female and I have a 35 ft 5er. I chose that as I did not want 2 drive trains to have upkeep on like you would have with a MH+towed. The maint. on a MH is way too expensive for my purse!! I have a 1 ton dually diesel that I drive every day. Yes I park out in taxi land at the store but that is ok with me.

Also I got the trump pillow top mattress when I ordered my 5er as like you I did not want to sleep on 2" of foam. I love my mattress and I like it better than what I have in my house.

My son uses my 5er more than I do right now and he too likes the mattress better than what they have in their house. He is thinking about getting one for his house as they are now selling them in stores too.

Oh and you can back a 5er just as well as a MH. Don't let them think because you are a female you are incapable of it!! 🙂
Cherry

Farmer_David
Explorer
Explorer
Now folks I back my trailer in a lot by myself, sure I might have to get out a time or two to look but that is OK. If this lady decides in her mind she is going to learn I bet she can learn to back anything. Mater of fact I would rather back in by myself as to have someone back there that does not know what they are doing.
2013 F450 King Ranch CC Long Box
60 Gal RDS Tank
20K B&W OEM Hitch
2013 Lifestyle 37IK

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
OnTaMove wrote:

I guess I am a bit clueless, but...why do you need someone to help you avoid backing into things with a 5th wheel but you do not need the same with a MH+toad?

As mentioned with a fifth wheel backing a longer (or any length actually) alone involves a lot of exiting the driver seat to check the blind side.
If it's a straight back in and the driver can see both sides of the coach then it's easier.

When backing in at angles accomplished with what I call a "crab" turn.
The opposite side (or outside of the crab) of the trailer becomes not visible to the driver in the outside mirrors.

It can be done it just takes a lot of effort.

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
OnTaMove wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
if I were single and no traveling companions who could make sure I did not back into things I would go for a MH.

I guess I am a bit clueless, but...why do you need someone to help you avoid backing into things with a 5th wheel but you do not need the same with a MH+toad?

With a MH, you drop the toad first, only back the MH and the rear of the MH is always visible in the mirrors because it is a single vehicle. However, the rear of any trailer quickly moves out of the field of view of the tow vehicle mirrors and the bulk of the trailer prevents the driver from seeing obstacles.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
I agree withe donno . A small "c" with a toad would work better for a single
Female. Even a 30' cotter would be good. As far as backing up, camp hosts
At most camp grounds will be glad to help. If not find someplace else!
IMO.

OnTaMove
Explorer
Explorer
You do not back a toad, you stop drop and then back the MH in.

LOL - yes, I can see that now that you point it out to me!

In your experience, with either a MH+Toad or a 5th Wheel, do you ever need to do any backing up other than upon arriving at the RV park?

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
OnTaMove wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
if I were single and no traveling companions who could make sure I did not back into things I would go for a MH.

As someone else alluded to in another post, backing a MH is just like backing a car. Yes it is longer and wider but still backing is pretty easy. Whereas backing a TT or a fifth wheel trailer everything is backwords. And depending on how big the trailer is backing can take a fair amount of real estate to maneuver in. You do not back a toad, you stop drop and then back the MH in. Then move the toad out of the road way. Two steps for sure. But with a bit of practice dropping a toad should take no more than three minutes. Hooking up about the same I would imagine.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's just about nothing you can't do with the right mind set. We have a friend who travels the country in her Diesel Pusher, just her and her cat. She has a Honda Fit for a Toad. We have two other female friends who Snow Bird from NY to Florida every year with thier MH and Honda CRV toad. My partner and I Snow Bird to Florida during the winter and travel in the North during the Summer. We had a 34' 5er and upgraded to a 40' 5er last spring, but because of the weight and size we have a 1 ton Dually for a TV. For a Bed, how about a Sleep Number, we put one in our previous 5er and was the first thing moved to the new one.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

OnTaMove
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad I surprised you LOL.
Yes, personally I have a fifth wheel, but if I were single and no traveling companions who could make sure I did not back into things I would go for a MH. Then I would look for a decent used Jeep Wrangler and go have a ball. Things like a smart car are nice for in town running around, but there is no way in heck I would consider something like that to run to the store 50 miles away down the highway. I like to geocache and fish, lots of places are off the beaten path, places where commuter is not advisable. A MH is probably going to cost you more money up front, but for a single person IMHO it is the smart move. Besides, if you pull in someplace late at night, there is no unhooking in the dark. simply pull in and park.

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fifth wheel hookup is a single person operation, have done it for 25 yrs. However, backing a TT or fiver is always better with a spotter, especially on the blind side, since the rear of the trailer quickly gets out of view in the mirrors.

Backing a MH is easier since the rear of the unit is always visible in the mirrors. However, you can't practically back up with the toad attached, so avoiding dead ends or tight gas stations, etc becomes important. Hooking up a toad is not difficult with today's tow bars and brake buddies.

Forest River probably has the largest selection of lite fivers in the Rockwood and Flagstaff lines that would be fine for a single person.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Retiring in the 50's!...lucky, lucky lady!

Maybe a 28 to 31 foot C-Class slider with a scooter sittin' on the back.
With a motorhome you'll always have AC power built right in.
Not to mention rear cameras, low steps and easy handling.

MH's are great for quick get-a-ways and short overniters.