cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you take your fiver down a fire road?

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
The campground we like to visit is in the Talladega National Forest and the main road to the campground has been washed out. The detour is a fire road that is fairly rough and not very wide, drove it today without the fiver. Would you take your fiver down a road like this? I would think you would have to just about idle the entire way as to not beat the fiver up. I am afraid I would end up breaking something trying this. What's your thought?
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian
41 REPLIES 41

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
TT owner here, but my answer is "probably not!" I see images of holes and ruts, and your truck twisting one direction and the 5er twisting the other when your wheels drop into opposing holes in the dirt and then the 5er slamming into the rails of your truck bed. There goes a dented truck bed, and damage to the underside of your 5er! I guess it depends upon how much clearance you've got, but by reading some of the posts on these forums, sounds like, sometimes there's not much room for twisting opposite directions between trailer and truck in most set-ups! At least with a TT an a "bumper pull (receiver) hitch", you don't have to worry about crushing your truck bed rails.

Would I do it with either. I don't think I would. My rig cost me too much. I can wait for a better day (and a better road).

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Do it all the time to get to my hunting and fishing camps. I carry a chain saw for any trees or branches that have fallen into the roadway. I also carry a pole saw for those that are higher up.

As long as everything is secured, you should be okay. Just go slow and use your best judgment.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

campinghut
Explorer
Explorer
clearance is a whole new issue, that is something I could only tell by seeing it.
Tim And Bev
2018 Mobile Suites 38RSSA, 560w solar, 2800w inverter (3 previous Artic fox trailers, 1 Cedar Creek, 1 Heartland Cyclone. In the last 8 Years)
2022 F350 (Previous trucks 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020 all Ford F350's)

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
campinghut wrote:
I have to say I travel down logging roads/oil field roads all the time. If you consider your fifth wheel well built, then sure, just take your time.

I Agree I more afraid of clearance issues than the ruggedness of the road
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

campinghut
Explorer
Explorer
I have to say I travel down logging roads/oil field roads all the time. If you consider your fifth wheel well built, then sure, just take your time.
Tim And Bev
2018 Mobile Suites 38RSSA, 560w solar, 2800w inverter (3 previous Artic fox trailers, 1 Cedar Creek, 1 Heartland Cyclone. In the last 8 Years)
2022 F350 (Previous trucks 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020 all Ford F350's)

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
No.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
If possible I would scope it out and determine if I stood a reasonable chance a making it without damaging the rig. After the potwential for damage ride I would make a decision.
I have avoided one of my favorite West VA CG's because the risk of damage getting in and out is too great for my fiver
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
If you already drove it you should know pretty well if you should take it or not. If you think not then probably not. If you think it would be ok probably is.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
All fire roads are not equal.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
We have a TT but still....it really is up to you and you travelled the road with only your truck. I am guessing a fire road would be similar to a logging road here. Not a maintained road, only by the logging company but has limited public access.
We have taken our TT 7hrs on a logging road and not much faster than maybe 20km per hr at times. If you feel comfortable go for it. However, if this is not a public road then I would check with your insurance company to see if you would be covered

jf831024
Explorer
Explorer
absofreakinlutely NO!!!!!
Bad enough our rigs take the abuse of normal roads, no way I take it on something that a four wheeler should be on.
2011 Fuzion Touring Edition 3
2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ Duramax Diesel

AUWing
Explorer
Explorer
Guess my 1st concern would be tree branches. A 1/4 mile stretch of rough road would be one answer - a 4 mile stretch something else
2014 Jayco 331RETS
Thermal Pane, Auto Level, Fireplace
2011 Silverado 2500HD EC Regular Box D'Max / Allison
Great wife and a good dog