Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wrangler YJ in 12 foot garage?

getpower1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

Itโ€™s been a bit since Iโ€™ve posted on these forums. Iโ€™m not honestly sure if my signature is updated accordingly. If not Iโ€™ll make those changes.

Getting to it, last November I came in possession of a 2007 Attitude. The model is 36ckss. Itโ€™s about a 39 foot long triple axle fifth wheel with a 12 foot garage (and Iโ€™ve measuredโ€ฆitโ€™s a true, exact 144 inches. Thereโ€™s a sticker on the inside that says itโ€™s got a 4,xxx-something lb payload rating. I believe with no toys Iโ€™m traveling at around 13,000 with empty tanks. Payload is 17,000.

Now, have been thinking of getting a side by side for the family. But as much as I wanted one recently, Iโ€™ve ALWAYS wanted a jeep. Just makes more sense for the money and our lifestyle. And you can drive it on the street legally. Seems like a better fit for what we do.

I learned this morning that I may be able to get my geandfatherโ€™s 4 cylinder yj wrangler. I know that doesnโ€™t sound impressive, but you havenโ€™t seen this thing wheel. Itโ€™s unstoppable! Ive also learned that a yj wrangler weighs about 2900lbs. Ive also learned that a yj wrangler is 153 inches long with the spare tire, stock!

So, if I take the spare off, what are the chances that that gets me to my 144 inches? Iโ€™m also fine with pulling a bumper if I have to.

Hoping that someone on here has a keep yj and can give me some insight on what they think and what the exact measurements would be. I have hope that this could work, but with the fifth wheel not being easy to get in or out to check physically, and the keep currently at the hunting property, I canโ€™t verify any of this myself now.

Lastly, what about the ramp? What are the chances that a keep is too heavy for it?

Cross posted to Facebook. But also want to hear from people here.

Thanks
2003 Aljo 259LT
2018 Ram 3500, SRW, 4x4, CTD, HO, Aisin
10 REPLIES 10

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
Does your state allow towing doubles when one is a fifth wheel? If it does you could have install a hitch on the back of the fifth wheel and flat tow the Jeep.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

getpower1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for the answers.

Iโ€™ve kind of given up on being able to reach attitude.

I really donโ€™t see the jeep weighing more than 3100 lbs max. I mean itโ€™s basic. But I could see how that would be a lot of weight for the trailer all in one spotโ€ฆalthough theoretically rated for it.

Itโ€™s actually a fifth wheel. I already have owned it since November. I measured the jeep tonight, and itโ€™s possible to get it down to 144 inches. Though it might require more unbolting than Iโ€™d want to deal with to get it in there. Enter the 18volt makita impact I guess (maybe).

Iโ€™m not sure I trust the ramp either. I could always bring along some support for loading and unloading.

Think Iโ€™ve for sure got some more research to do on all of this. I can honestly say that thereโ€™s only one trip per year where Iโ€™d like to have the trailer and the jeep at the same time, so Iโ€™m sure we can figure other works arounds.
2003 Aljo 259LT

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
My sandrail is 3000lbs and I have no issues in my Weekend Warrior.
With my wheel base, I only have 1 set of axles on the ramp at a time.

I used to haul my rail and 2 quads at the same time, no issue with weight.

If you end up with a 5th wheel, handling won't be affected by the weight.
I don't have any issues even in side winds of 20-30mph.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If itโ€™s got a hard walled garage, youโ€™re likely out of luck length wise. And 3klbs is pushing it.
To be fair, Iโ€™ve thought of loading up our CJ5 and see how it works though, so good luck.
Agree, watch the ramp. Mine is pretty light weight.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Ramp won't support the weight of a Jeep. Toy hauler won't support that much weight either.

Imagine what loading nearly 4000lbs of weight in the rear will do to the handling (and reduction in pin weight) of the combo while towing.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
I would be worried your ramp will not be capable of supporting the Jeep as you load it. Our ramp is rated at 1500 lbs

Y-Guy
Dang, sorry they have not been responsive. I figured Covid had been hard on them, but makes me wonder how operational they are now.

One of our members N-Trouble I think still has his 2015 Attitude 28SAG since its in his signature. He's not been very active so you might send him a Private Message and see if he gets back to you.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

getpower1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the answers so far. I plan on weighing the jeep when I can. Was hoping for the next couple days maybe someone had a yj sitting in their garage. Power of thousands of people on a forum.

Iโ€™ve also tried to contact eclipse in the past and not had luck with either getting ahold of anyone or not hearing back. Iโ€™ve called before too and the person on the phone was unwilling to get me the information, or transfer me to someone who may know because of the age of my trailer.
2003 Aljo 259LT

Y-Guy
You need to find the weight limits for the garage itself (many are 2000#) and the ramp weight limits too. Plus the overall height of the Jeep, this is an issue often with drop down beds.

I found a generic manual (here) that shows the ramp was rated for 3,000# (don't assume it's accurate)

I think Eclipse is still in business so I'd call them with the model of your RV and see if they can get you the specs. (951) 684-6868

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

getpower1
Explorer
Explorer
Also, forgot to mention I think that listed curb weight is around 2900lbs
2003 Aljo 259LT