cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Young FW full timer needs a new rig 4 months out

steadypraying42
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm stationed at Fort Lewis and I just entered the full time lifestyle, and what a bumpy road it has been. First off, I believe I purchased the wrong rv (2015 Keystone Hideout 308bhds) to start full timing. Two slideouts, not nearly enough storage and not an ounce of insulation I know this is going to be a rough winter. So next year this time I am planning to trade this one in and go for a front living room arrangement. I'm looking at Wana rvs in Indiana for my next purchase. Unfortunately, they do not accept new rvs as trades.

I'm just stressed out. DW doesn't like that the dogs are under her feet all the time, the kitchen is right across from the ONE sofa we have, the air conditioner feels like it's blowing out heat, and the no space among other things! We love the full time lifestyle, just chose the wrong fifth wheel.

Any of you fine ladies and gents know of any rv wholesale dealers that will accept a new trade? Once again, the army doesn't pay me to enjoy life so I am not looking for anything too pricey. We have a 2015 Ram 3500 SRW longbox with ALL of the bells and whistles, max tow 29,500.
Active Duty Army (Fulltiming)
1 YR Old English Mastiff
2 YR Old German Shepherd
2015 Ram 3500 SRW
Aisin Transmission, factory air ride suspension
2015 Keystone Hideout 308BHDS (SOLD)
2016 Voltage Triton 3451 TH

"IN TRUTH LIES VICTORY"
28 REPLIES 28

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Not sure where fort lewis is but even the supposed 4 season rigs are pretty limiting if you are in snow country and 2 people and large dogs are going to be cramped living.

As far as purchasing...spilled milk situaiton...the loss is already there, you just prove it when you sell. If you think you can fix the worst of it with some remodeling, you might consider it but do a professional job without anything too strange (ie: built in dog kennels or other oddities) or you will knock that much more off the resale if it doesn't work out.

A big quesiton in how you proceed is did you make the mistake of financing? If no, I would sell and buy something more suitable for a lot less money. If you financed, that may not be an option unless you have some sizable cash reserves to pay off the bank.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
You are going to take a hit by trading. No way around it. My suggestions
1. Remodel the bunk area to suit your needs.
2. Search "making rv a/c more efficient" and you will find tons of information. #1 issue, in my opinion, is poor separation between the hot and cold sides of the a/c. While the a/c is running, stick your hand in the return side and feel for cold air leaching through from the cold side. Seal it up however you can. I used metal duct tape. Made a big difference.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
well, it is too late but you went the wrong direction. you went way overboard with purchasing all new without even trying it out.

I don't know your income but i'd suggest you try to get rid of both the truck and the trailer and start again next year after you figure out your loses.

I go with a USED truck and trailer. you don't need a new $50K truck.

as for 'insulation' you really aren't going to get much insulation on any trailer if you get into cold weather. and as for storage, you will just have to decide what you want....the montana 5th wheels are reasonably priced and have good storage.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Even if you purchased your new Keystone for 30-35% under MSRP, you will still get "beat up" if you try trading it in.

I would attempt to sell it outright first, get back as much money as you can. Then, as others may have suggested, find the right floor plan you can full time with. Then if it was me I would begin a search for a 3 or 4 year old fiver with that floor plan. I would search Craig's List and RV-Trader in a 100 or 200 miles radius and concentrate on private sellers.

You may just come out of this deal with more living space, a little less money invested, and a fiver more suited for full time use.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
steadypraying426 wrote:
Wow the artic fox is pretty nice. Yeah I put the wrong numbers but regardless my Ram is still a beast.

Yeah, my Ram is a Beast also...BUT, they all have their limitations...GCWR on your truck is 25,000#..think max 5er is 17,000# or there abouts, depends on your tranny.

Artic Fox is a nice one, if not mistaken, VERY WELL insulated..As others have stated, maybe remodel? Doesn't really help your "keeping cooler" or "keeping warmer" issues though. THIS TIME, IF you trade, look for a floor plan you can live with, now that you know what you need...Maybe a unit with 2 A/C's, possibly dual pane windows and check out insulation values, if available.

Also, thank you very much for your service, it's GREATLY appreciated:)
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Any dealer will take your trade, you might not be happy with what they give you. On your new unit make sure you get a second A/C and be willing to travel to find the right price. My local dealer would not even come close to a dealer three hours away, so we took a day trip when we picked it up but saved a bunch. Make sure you both spend a couple hours "living" in the prospective RV before purchasing to see if fits you both.

Thank you for your service and good luck.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

steadypraying42
Explorer
Explorer
Wow the artic fox is pretty nice. Yeah I put the wrong numbers but regardless my Ram is still a beast.
1 YR Old English Mastiff
2 YR Old German Shepherd
2015 Ram 3500 SRW

"IN TRUTH LIES VICTORY"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looking for a good FW, for full timing think Arctic Fox.

Arctic Fox
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

-lenny-
Explorer
Explorer
steadypraying4 wrote:
. We have a 2015 Ram 3500 SRW longbox with ALL of the bells and whistles, max tow 29,500.

May want to re check your numbers, as there is no SRW rated to 29,500....

https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towing_guide/pdf/2015_ram_3500_towing_charts.pdf

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck finding a rig that is better suited to your needs. I'm curious how you're getting 29,500 towing capacity out of an SRW though. Those are DRW numbers.
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
steadypraying426 wrote:
Thanks Don for letting me know, tried to find delete button but to no avail on my phone.

And Jim, thank you for your advice. We were hesitant to remodel because we thought once we did finally trade it in that will negatively effect us.

You are going to take a big loss anyway. If it were me, I would remodel.

Thank you for your service to our nation.
Carl S
US Army Retired

'11 F-450, 6.7, 4X4, crewcab; '14 Fuzion Impact toyhauler
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '03 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650cc
SWMBO: '13 HD Sportster; '06 Honda Big Ruckus

steadypraying42
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Don for letting me know, tried to find delete button but to no avail on my phone.

And Jim, thank you for your advice. We were hesitant to remodel because we thought once we did finally trade it in that will negatively effect us.
1 YR Old English Mastiff
2 YR Old German Shepherd
2015 Ram 3500 SRW

"IN TRUTH LIES VICTORY"

CC38EL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any RV dealer will take in your rig as a trade....you just may not like what they offer. If you go forward with a trade in situation, be prepared to take a serious loss on your rig.

Do you have children? If you don't, then you can look to reconfigure the bunk house area for more space. For you...or the dogs. 🙂

Even being new, it's not uncommon for Air conditioners to be less than perfect. Measure the outside temp and the temp coming from your air conditioner....look for at least 15 degrees difference. If not, take it to the dealer for a check.

Thank you for your service. And good luck with rig and the adjusting phase you're going through.

Jim
USN Retired
Jim
2019 Coachmen Mirada Select 37LS

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please read the forum rules about duplicate posts.