cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3/4 timers, unite!

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I never know if I belong here or in Snowbirds. The 'birds seem to only go for a few months, starting in January, but I am on the road more like 9 months of the year. I saw someone in another thread who said 'we three-quarter time' and I thought, that's me!

It was a change, for me, to realise this summer that I will be (for the foreseeable future) spending significantly more than half of each year in my van... and that in this sense my van life is my 'real'
life.

This way of thinking changes things like what I pack, when I do van maintenance, what health insurance I should have, etc.

What does 3/4 timing mean to you?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
17 REPLIES 17

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
I never cared what I was called, as long as I was happy ๐Ÿ™‚
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
We have a park model in a membership campground. The membership is about $75 a month and includes garbage and water. That's home base, but we only spend 3-4 months a year there. It is an older model and I spent some time upgrading to low maintenance materials. The trailer and all the outbuildings have metal roofs now which shed most leaves and don't leak..and won't need to be replaced in my lifetime. It was some work and a bit of expense but worth it I think. We put down plastic tarps to catch as many leaves as possible in October and take them up in December before we leave for warmer climes for a couple of months. I've made sure all the surfaces are gravel, cement pavers, or composite decking. We shut off the water when we are not there. Keep these things in mind and upkeep can be minimal...and since it is during the summers when we are gone to BC and AK the months when we are not there are those least likely have problems.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
John&Joey wrote:
It use to throw me in the very beginning also. Not a FT, yet not a snowbird either. We seemed to have a lot more in common with FT'ers then snowbirds when we were on the road.

Yes! But I also worry that fulltimers will think I am a fake wannabe, at least here of the forum.

I sure wouldn't worry about it. IMO, there are many more fake FT'ers (base on "MY" definition of FT'ing) on this forum, then fake wannabe's. I feel sorry for the wannabe's that read a way too rosy picture of the lifestyle from those that seek approval.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
It use to throw me in the very beginning also. Not a FT, yet not a snowbird either. We seemed to have a lot more in common with FT'ers then snowbirds when we were on the road.

Yes! But I also worry that fulltimers will think I am a fake wannabe, at least here of the forum.

Someone once wrote "Part-Timer" which added up in my mind. For us six months on the road, and six months in the S&B makes us PT'ers. I hate leaving the S&B in the fall, but look forward to traveling. I also hate getting off the road in the spring, but look forward to comforts and family and friends that the S&B affords us.

Yeah, me too :). I looked forward to family and friends and having SPACE to move around when I was head back to the S&B. But now that I'm here I miss camping and my cosy little van where I never have to go in the other room to get something.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer

Someone once wrote "Part-Timer" which added up in my mind. For us six months on the road, and six months in the S&B makes us PT'ers. I hate leaving the S&B in the fall, but look forward to traveling. I also hate getting off the road in the spring, but look forward to comforts and family and friends that the S&B affords us.

IMHO, best life around!
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting that for some folks the 3/4 includes summer! Mine includes winter, and I am at my S&B for summer. But it's true, I have toyed with the idea of getting a small winter S&B somewhere cheap....

cheteckie
Explorer
Explorer
Our house is basically a cabin. This will be our first time snowbirding, so I don't know exactly how this is all going to work. My best guess is we will probably be close to 3/4 time.

Our only goal for the next year is to not have to winterized the RV. Instead, the cabin will get winterized!
2013 Allegro Bus
2013 Subaru WRX

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
Snowman9000 wrote:
I'm interested in what kind of home is maintained by a 3/4 timer. It seems to me that unless it is a rental, the upkeep will eventually be an issue. My parents used to own a home in the Keys and one in the midwest and spend 6 months in each. They spent the first month or so at each place doing repairs, maintenance, yard work, etc. They got tired of that aspect of it.

To me the ideal 3/4 situation would be some sort of secure place like an RV park, with a casita and covered RV spot, and a good sized shed. Or a rented pad on a farm, set up the same way. That would be very nice indeed.

What kind of house? Our daughter calls the house we are building the Party House. In addition to the bar, pool, and spa it will have 2 FHU spots for friends.

In our case we went on the road full time 6 years ago, but we put some stuff in storage. DH builds furniture so we kept what he built plus his specialty tools etc. we also kept some of our household things. Condo won't work for us, he wants a work shop, and we have a boat, 5th wheel, and camper to store. Renting won't work either. Neither will a casita. we need a place big enough to get our stuff out of storage.
we are building a brand new house, so maintenance shouldn't be too hard. In AZ- no grass and stuff to maintain.
Its not a huge house (garage is bigger than the house) or a fancy house and its not our "forever home". For us its a comfortable place to hang out in the winter and go boating on a gorgeous lake.
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a "snowcone" instead of a "snowbird" (a Florida transplant that comes north before the weather gets so hot that I melt).

We'll not be full-timers anytime soon, but would like to at least be "more-of-the-time-rs.

Maybe you're a "most-of-the-timer", Naio.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
We are now 3/4 timers mainly because the real estate market is still soft, especially in a small town. The day after we sell the brick house we will be full-timers.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Naio

I'm just a old two timer. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Two weeks at a time that is. lol
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:
I'm interested in what kind of home is maintained by a 3/4 timer. It seems to me that unless it is a rental, the upkeep will eventually be an issue. My parents used to own a home in the Keys and one in the midwest and spend 6 months in each. They spent the first month or so at each place doing repairs, maintenance, yard work, etc. They got tired of that aspect of it.

To me the ideal 3/4 situation would be some sort of secure place like an RV park, with a casita and covered RV spot, and a good sized shed. Or a rented pad on a farm, set up the same way. That would be very nice indeed.

I agree. :B DW will retire next April and we will hit the road shortly after for some traveling destinations. Will most likely do the first winter in the RGV or possibly Arizona then more traveling mixed with a little work camping? We will put the S&B up for sale when the time feels right.;)
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
Now this is just a personal opinion. If you are going to be a 1/2 - 3/4 timer, then a Condo or RV park would be the correct choice. I know that during this time of year in North Florida that if I miss 2 weeks the grass in the yard is over a foot tall, really over a foot I just cut it again yesterday and the last time was last Thursday. Yea I could hire a lawn service but what about the electric, phone, water, and mail. Being more than half but less than full timing is a bigger pain than just getting out there full time and not worry about a house. So when it is time... I am thinking condo.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

happynow
Explorer
Explorer
We plan to be 3/4 timers beginning Dec 2015. Currently rent beach condo in FL (DH retired in Feb) after being lifetime homeowner's. DH has decided he's finished maintaining homes, enjoys that it is someone else's problem now. We have family located in most region's of the
US, lots of family in FL. All offer their home's to visit, and take a break from the road. 5 grand children centrally located will be frequent stops.
We are not sure how long or how well this will work before we settle down.

We are grateful to give this plan a try.
happynow

Steve and Carol