Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auction?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you who have auctioned off your stuff:
Did you sell any of the larger items first?
Do they want it all, or nothing?
How negotiable are the rates & what did you pay?
Do you have to pay sales tax on your own stuff?
What happens to the stuff no one bids on?
Do they use your house, or lawn?
Was it on your premises, or did you need to move it all, or have them move it, prior to the sale?
What sort of viewing was offered before the auction?
Did you have any idea of how much you would get for your stuff? Was the reality higher or lower?

The stuff we will be taking with us will still be in the garage, covered, if we go this route... It's either this or Craigs list for the big stuff followed by a moving sale.

If you decided to use Cragis list & garage sale instead, how did that work out for you?

Thanks for any input! The time is fast approaching.
9 REPLIES 9

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
Moderator note...geeze....I'm gone to see my dying mother and all hell breaks loose! I have cleaned up this topic...please, no more nastiness!
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
"What happens with the stuff that no one wants?"

Same thing that would happen to it if you tried selling it (yardsale, ebay etc.) and it didn't sell.........you would dispose of it. Donate, give away, trash.

Auctioneer will lump items into 'lots'....some not so good with better if items are small. If large they make up a 'lot'.

Our auction was on site (house/yard) and it was announced prior to start that ALL items were removed today.
If a 'lot' was sold and buyer snagged just some items/then left...that 'lot' went back up for sale. Auctioneers staff was real good at keeping an eye out.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
There should be very little left as an auctioneer will bundle stuff that does not sell into larger lot with other items. The problem is some people will not take all they buy. They may want one item out of a box lot, take the item leave the rest. Discuss with auctioneer before you hire get it in writing about disposal but remember his time is your money. If it is at your house then you may have a problem. If the auction is at his facility then HE has a problem and your stuff is isolated. Isolation at your house should be behind a locked door
Again I recommend you go to an auction at his facility before you hire the auctioneer.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
What happens with the stuff that no one wants? Do you make a deal up front before the auction that they get what's left? Do they give you any money for the leftovers, or is that negotiated after the sale? We don't want to still have to hit the dump if we can help it! How do you isolate the stuff you will want to take with you, or the items that the kids haven't taken yet? I am looking at getting a couple of diffeerent auction places in to take a look. We do have some furniture, besides the small stuff, and a FEW antiques. Thanks!

Wingnusa
Explorer
Explorer
We had the kids come over to take/buy what they wanted first. Then had a garage sale to sell the "clutter stuff" to make the house look better. Then had a final sale after it was sold. We actually sold some stuff to the buyers so that cut down on our last sale. Anything we were keeping was kept in a small enclosed trailer in the back yard... It was very easy overall once my DW got over getting rid of her "stuff"...
Scott and Brenda Schnelle
Sierra, Twila and Keira Cavalier King Charles Spaniels

FT Class of '06
Lifetime Good Sams
Lifetime NRA
Firearms Instructor
Photographer, Shootin' Scotty Photography

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
The estate auction.
We lived 8 miles out of town (1 mile of dirt road after turning off asphalt). Yard sales don't do well hence the idea of estate auction.
Auctioneer advertised with flyers, e-mails to followers, newspaper etc. for 2 weeks prior to action.
Staff came out 3 days prior to auction and sorted/boxed items into 'lots' (small stuff in 1 lot---large items 1 lot)
Day of auction
Previewing was for 2 hours (7am---9am)
Auction started at 9am and ended at 4pm
All items had to be paid for and removed that day
Some items didn't bring as much as we thought they should but majority of items went for way more than what they were worth (bidding wars---- :S )
At end of day everything was gone. Even things that I would have taken to dump (auctioneer told me "Hold off getting rid of anything until after auction" and he was right.)
Auctioneer tallied up the sales...cut us our check. His fee was 25%.
Which was well worth the advertisement, the sorting/boxing, selling and draw (130+ folks)and the NO Hassle benefit for us.

Family/friends had already picked thru house....some items given/some sold.
And day of auction----if we changed our mind on an item it could be pulled (prior to going up for bid). WE didn't :B

No sales tax.....it was a 'yard sale'
Smaller/manageable 'lots' were set up on tables in front yard.
Larger items/furniture was done in place in house
It was the fastest, easiest, money in pocket way of getting rid of ALL the 'stuff'.
I didn't have to do ANYTHING except sit back an watch.
My back thanked me, my pocket book thanked me, my GF thanked me.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
You'll be paying for expenses involved with the auction, advertising, etc..

Usually, you can have the auction at your house or, another location.
You can display the items in the house or, outside. But, if you put it outside be ready for a rainy day.
You will pay the auctioneer to move the items to the location, unless you want to do it yourself.

Normally, the items are advertised in flyers, papers and online. If you're selling the house, vehicles, etc., you may want to have an 'open house' or, by appointment only to allow potential buyers to look the items over before the sale.
I wouldn't sell the 'big stuff' or antiques separately from the auction. You need things like that to attract the bidders.

The box lots, furniture and other things are usually put out the morning of the sale and everyone can look before the auctions begins.

We've had a couple auctions. The nice thing is, at the end of the day everything (just about) is gone.

The downside is, you may or may not get what you wanted for your items. That's a chance you take.

Talk to a couple auctioneers before you decide.

Good luck which ever route you take.
It's much easier and quicker than CL or yard sales.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Auctioneers generally want good stuff and take everything to get the good stuff.
If you sell most of the valuable items first on your own you may not find an auctioneer willing to take the dregs.
Rates are negotiable and depend on how bad the auctioneer wants you stuff. More value less per cent. In my area 25% to 33% plus a ten percent buyers premium. If you give hm junk to sell and he has to move it to his place then you are paying a high end percent.
An auctioneer can either come to your place or do it at his place provided he has a place. If you live way out in the boon docks the travel will eliminate some of the audience and thus may lower price paid. A good auctioneer has a following that comes to his auction house regularly. Go to a couple of the auctions and watch. You may get a feel for one auctioneer over another.

A reputable auctioneer handles all the details, collects the money from auction attendees and gives you a check for the NET AMOUNT he pays all sales tax which he collects from participants. I have seen auctioneers try to scam by deducting things that are not legitimate and should not be deducted such as if someone pays them with a bad CC. He will have the financial stability to pay you your money almost immediately.

A reputable auctioneer may be bonded or insured in case he does not pay you. Ask to see the insurance or bond do not accept yes I am.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

wirenutz
Explorer
Explorer
We gave all of our household stuff to our 3 boys
2007 All American Sport Toy Hauler 38 foot, 14,400 LBS dry weight
1999 Four Door Freightliner,new 6 Speed Auto, new Cat Motor, 12,600 LBS, rear air dump, lowers rear by 3", air activated rear locker, air ride seats, air ride cab, air ride suspension