cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get Insurance? Help?

babysnowbyrd
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to be living in my RV full-time. It's a 30' 5th wheel. I plan on hooking it up at an RV park and living there without any kind of moving or travel for about a year, after which I may be transferred to another city for my job.

I have auto insurance through Progressive, but they won't insure my RV. It seems the key thing is the part in the application asking "Does a permanently installed utility connection exist?"

I'm not sure what this means exactly. Is it talking about regular RV hook-ups? Because if so, this seems to be the deal-breaker, but I feel that this kind of hook-up is pretty standard for a full-timer.

Or is it talking about some other kind of utility connection permanently installed to the RV and not the standard electric hook-ups at parks?

I just don't understand why I can't get coverage to live in it. Are there companies that will insure a stationary RV or is this across the board?
14 REPLIES 14

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
National Interstate Insurance insures full timers and the tow vehicle. Purchase through a broker.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

tempforce
Explorer
Explorer
if nothing else get renters insurance for your belongings. the trailer is usually covered when traveling, under your truck insurance.
like above if you can unplug and move anytime you want. you are not permanent...

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'

currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.
downsizing from a 1 ton diesel and a 32' trailer, to a 19-21' trailer for the '56'.

Sez_Hoo_
Explorer
Explorer
I have GEICO for my insurance carrier. AS long as you tell them that you will be on the move every 30 days they cover you for full time. otherwise they put you into homeowner insurance. It doesn't make sense but it was cheaper for full timer insurance than homeowner insurance. I said do you mean to tell me that its cheaper to have the coach out on the road where the chances of something happening to it are much greater and the possibility of me making a claim is greater, than it is to have it safely parked and for the most part out of danger. She said that is correct. It was about $2000.00 a year cheaper to put fulltime insurance on it. So that it what I did, so every 30 days if I remember, I move it about a foot forward and a foot back. Most times I don't remember.
Steven
USCG EMC Ret.
Lilly Pi
1998 Country Coach Intrigue
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Another thing to consider is where is your domicile? That will probably have a cost difference.

JimR

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check with..

National Interstate Ins.
Bluesky Ins.
Foremost Ins.

They do RV insurance for those that full time/live in their rv
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Just google Full Time RV Insurance. All the major insurance companies that offer Full Time RV Insurance will come up, get quotes from all of them and go with what fits your budget.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

babysnowbyrd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks you guys! That's what I thought.

I'm financing the RV and they require full coverage, otherwise, I would just forgo it.

I just wanted to make sure I understood things correctly and that I wasn't committing any kind of insurance fraud.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
As stated above, "permanently installed utility" means you are wired directly into your camper and you cannot disconnect. It also means if you are attached to a fixed water source, that is plumbed directly into the camper. If you are using a garden hose, you are not "permanently installed". It also means you are "permanently installed" on sewage, which means the sewage pipe is attached to a septic tank or a city sewer system with no way to un-attach it.

You are not "permanently installed" on anything. And ... you don't have to tell the insurance company you are "living" in the camper year round (you are camping! .. just happens to be for a year). Too much information is not always best. Keep it simple with your insurance company. It's a "TRAVEL TRAILER" you are camping! (It just happens you are camping for a year at the same locations! But they don't need to know that!)... get the idea!

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
As K Charles said, if you can plug it in yourself and unplug it yourself without hiring and electrician to do it, then you're NOT permanently plugged in. Look at it this way, your RV is no more permanently plugged in than your toaster is.

Your profile doesn't say what year your 5th is, but you might consider not insuring it?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
If you can plug it in then it ain't permanent. Did you get an electrician to wire it up?

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
X3. Your hookups are not "permanent". You can leave quickly with little effort, as far as hookups are concerned.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

1BryNelson
Explorer
Explorer
Progressive does offer full time insurance, at least in AZ. But not if you have permanent hookups, solid lines from utility to rv for sewer, permanent electrical lines. You are not permanently parked, don't use that phrase because you can easily move.
Bry Nelson and a yet to be discovered MoHo momma. '99 Pace Arrow Vision 37ft F53 chassis (plugs tightened) Allure flooring, 15k BTU front a/c , 6-6 volt batts with 1120 watts of solar Magnum inverter Remote BMK Trace C40 2005 Ford Ranger "Toad on a pad".

Greydennyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
You do not have a permanently installed connection to utilities
You are a temporary resident, and can leave anytime that you( or your landlord) wants to leave.
Denny, Rosie and Josie the Beagle
2016 Allegro 36 LA
2016 Mazda 3

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of full timers have insurance. Progressive wont cover you, maybe its time to start shopping for better company