cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CB Radio's & RVing

Robert812
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, Just want to know as I have not seen CB antennas on any trailers or class a,b,c. Is there any channels they set on? there is 40 channels and truckers stay on 19. Would like any info anyone has on this. Thanks:)
32 REPLIES 32

tplife
Explorer
Explorer
Some folks roam from fad to fad and to them everything is quickly outdated. ๐Ÿ™‚ Just as they have and do for truckers, 11 Meter rigs (CB radios, 27 Mhz) provide an interesting way to pass time for long-haul drivers and that includes RV'ers. A SSB CB radio will provide 3X the transmitting signal for additional range. Like all things of the digital age, technology provides a better signal through gear, antennas and hands-free systems. CB radios are also an inexpensive way to see if the Personal Communications hobby of receivers and/or ham radio is one that fits your interests. Visit your local Ham Radio store to learn more from the experts regarding the hobby and what constitutes quality gear.

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe GS was trying to encourage channel 13 for RVers

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
Robert812 wrote:
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
Robert812 wrote:
Hi all, Just want to know as I have not seen CB antennas on any trailers or class a,b,c. Is there any channels they seat on? there is 40 channels and truckers seat on 19. Would like any info anyone has on this. Thanks:)

Seat on?

Thanks for the spelling. that helps me a lot as make sure my spelling is right and not look for any info.

I thought it was some terminology I have never heard of.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
I am still wayne_tw wrote:
CB radios are a has been. The technology is out dated and the range and interference makes them just marginally useful. Most truckers and others on the highways do not have them anymore. Cell phones with unlimited minutes and no more "roaming" have taken their place. One poster said it helped keeping up with a spouse on the road with someone else with a CB relaying messages. If they both had cell phones that would have worked better. Want road conditions? Just dial 511 and get from the source!

Why are you and some others so against cb's? If someone wants one let them have one, we have one on our Goldwing and so does everyone we ride with. If a husband and wife want to use them what does it matter to you? And believe it or not, not everyone has a cell phone or two of them to use in two vehicles.

I also have a 2 meter radio, but I can only talk to other ham radio operators.

Robert812
Explorer
Explorer
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
Robert812 wrote:
Hi all, Just want to know as I have not seen CB antennas on any trailers or class a,b,c. Is there any channels they seat on? there is 40 channels and truckers seat on 19. Would like any info anyone has on this. Thanks:)

Seat on?

Thanks for the spelling. that helps me a lot as make sure my spelling is right and not look for any info.

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Have one and it comes in handy often,have been able to learn about upcoming traffic tie ups. Get off before and avoid sitting for hours in it. Also severe weather alert on mine ,nice to be warned about severe weather in area.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
CB radios are a has been. The technology is out dated and the range and interference makes them just marginally useful. Most truckers and others on the highways do not have them anymore. Cell phones with unlimited minutes and no more "roaming" have taken their place. One poster said it helped keeping up with a spouse on the road with someone else with a CB relaying messages. If they both had cell phones that would have worked better. Want road conditions? Just dial 511 and get from the source!

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
Robert812 wrote:

Seat on?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I have a CB in our Southwind. I seldom use it, but it is nice for road conditions, etc..

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want my kids hearing what's said on CB these days. I used to have one for about 20 years but haven't now for several years. Probably never will again.
I've been a ham radio operator for over 20 years. My wife got her license this year. I suspect my sons will eventually.

sremsing
Explorer
Explorer
We still use our cb on all our travels.
2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD quad cab, Vortec 6000
Prodigy
2011 Rockwood 2604
wife and one fur buddy.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have always had a CB in my truck over the years - Used mostly just to monitor the trucker world and whats going on in a few hundred feet of me when on the road...

Have never heard a RV CB conversation on it...

Have heard some FRS conversations around towns like Gatlinburg etc...

I guess most RV'vrs are like us and use cell phones to keep in touch...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Robert812
Explorer
Explorer
Yup stuck in the 50's. Way back when I was all night talking to everyone from east to west. Thank you for the info, and will keep my Galaxy in the SUV. Thought like 1-12 home channel 13-21 travel and 22-40 sideband. As you see haven't played with these for a while. thanks

lizbard
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, they were handy in weather like we are having now. We drove from Ohio to FT Meade, MD trying to out run one storm, only to run into one that hadn't developed until we were on the road and still got hit with the one behind us. Those CB's came in handy. The truckers could hear me calling the DH, same for him, so he relayed back and forth so we knew each other was safe. Then my DH saw a car almost going into a skid and he yelled at her to get off the brake, etc. Later, she told me how he helped her not have an accident.

We might get one for the MH because they also came in handy when you were driving alone in keeping you awake. We had to drive after 11pm in 1980 because our cars were not air conditioned and it was 110 degrees (I wish I could remember what a heat wave feels like, I need to thaw out). We had fun talking to truckers until we heard two different grand chiefs of KKK. We didn't speak until we were sure they were gone. They woke all of us up talking about up coming activities.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I think one reason you don't see many any more is the bad language the truckers use, the wives just didn't like hearing all the stuff coming out of their mouths.