cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class A license in Texas

paulbeauchemin
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the process of moving my domicile to Texas. As part of that process I realize I need to have a Class A non-CDL license (my F350 DRW + 5th wheel is over 26,000 lbs)

Does anyone have any information on what I should be aware of with the tests? I see a CDL handbook but not one specific for this and am not sure of what the live drivers test is like.

Any info is appreciated

thanks
11 REPLIES 11

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
paulbeauchemin wrote:
I'm in the process of moving my domicile to Texas. As part of that process I realize I need to have a Class A non-CDL license (my F350 DRW + 5th wheel is over 26,000 lbs)

Does anyone have any information on what I should be aware of with the tests? I see a CDL handbook but not one specific for this and am not sure of what the live drivers test is like.

Any info is appreciated

thanks

I have had my Tx class A non-CDL since 2012.
You will need to study the Texas CDL handbook & in it you will find the " exceptions to the exemptions " that define the need for a non-commercial A or B . You will only be tested on the basic rules of the road, clearance lights, safety markers if broke down etc.seems like the first four or so chapters.
The driving test will not be tough. Be sure & do the pretrip walk around/mirror check & don't use the turn lane of a hwy to pickup speed & then enter traffic. You will also have to backup & move rv to right in a defined space.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting. It seems even the DMV doesn't always get the differentiation correct when it's an RV driven for personal use.
Thanks for the updated information but I suspect that the written and road tests are exactly the same. Both....completely unrelated to getting your RV safely down the road.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I think this over rides that.

Individuals who are exempt from obtaining a CDL but may need a Class A or Class B driver license are:

Operators of recreational vehicles driven for personal use.

Again you are correct. He doesn't need a CDL but does need a non CDL class A drivers license.
Please read in Texas class A/B exempt section Second chance posted under what license I need to operate my RV for personal use. It all depends on whether his TV is over / under 26K and if his trailer is under or over 10K whether he needs an A,B, or C.
With your Class B you can drive your 40K MH but any trailer you tow must be under 10K.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think this over rides that.

Individuals who are exempt from obtaining a CDL but may need a Class A or Class B driver license are:

Operators of recreational vehicles driven for personal use.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I am a TX resident. I drive a 40,000# motor home. I passed the motor home driving test. I have a class B license. Them's is the rules!

Am I required to have a commercial driver's license to operate my personal RV?
No. Operators of recreational vehicles driven for personal use are exempt from obtaining a CDL.

Class B:
Authorizes an individual to drive:

Single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more

Single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 pounds or more that is towing a vehicle with a GVWR that does not exceed 10,000 pounds or a farm trailer with a GVWR that does not exceed 20,000 pounds

A bus with a seating capacity of 24 passengers or more including the driver

The OP's trailer is over 10K so he needs the class A. If it was under 10K he'd only need a B like you.

paulbeauchemin
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
George is correct - you will need a Class A Non-Commercial Exempt for your rig. It has been discussed a number of times on this forum (use the search function), but there is an excellent FAQ write-up over on the Escapees forum that even addresses changes in the process that occurred this year:

Texas Class A/B Exempt FAQ

Be sure and read all of the FAQ as the later entries cover changes made after the original post.

Rob

Thanks - exactly what I was looking for!

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am a TX resident. I drive a 40,000# motor home. I passed the motor home driving test. I have a class B license. Them's is the rules!

Am I required to have a commercial driver's license to operate my personal RV?
No. Operators of recreational vehicles driven for personal use are exempt from obtaining a CDL.

Class B:
Authorizes an individual to drive:

Single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more

Single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 pounds or more that is towing a vehicle with a GVWR that does not exceed 10,000 pounds or a farm trailer with a GVWR that does not exceed 20,000 pounds

A bus with a seating capacity of 24 passengers or more including the driver

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
George is correct - you will need a Class A Non-Commercial Exempt for your rig. It has been discussed a number of times on this forum (use the search function), but there is an excellent FAQ write-up over on the Escapees forum that even addresses changes in the process that occurred this year:

Texas Class A/B Exempt FAQ

Be sure and read all of the FAQ as the later entries cover changes made after the original post.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
It's a class B license, not CDL. You use the CDL manual but you only learn what's on the last 12 pages or so. It is the most stupid test I have ever taken as it asks questions like "How many lights must be installed on a farm tractor used on the highway", "what color are the marker lights on the rear of a vehicle" or "In what year were license plate lights required". Not 1 question had anything to do with driving or operating an RV or even anything to do with anything you have control over. There is then a driving test that requires you drive a per-determined route setup by the instructor. At some point he/she will have you stop and back up in a straight line for 40 feet. That's about it other than turning left and right and returning to the DMV.

You will need the class A as you mentioned. Gross combined weight is over 26K and towed trailer is over 10K so class B does not apply. Here's a link to the manual which shows what sections you need to study on page 1-2. Scroll down the page to get to the manual.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/dlClasses.htm

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a class B license, not CDL. You use the CDL manual but you only learn what's on the last 12 pages or so. It is the most stupid test I have ever taken as it asks questions like "How many lights must be installed on a farm tractor used on the highway", "what color are the marker lights on the rear of a vehicle" or "In what year were license plate lights required". Not 1 question had anything to do with driving or operating an RV or even anything to do with anything you have control over. There is then a driving test that requires you drive a per-determined route setup by the instructor. At some point he/she will have you stop and back up in a straight line for 40 feet. That's about it other than turning left and right and returning to the DMV.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Texas seems to have a bunch of online material...

https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/DL-7C.pdf
http://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/DL-7.pdf
https://www.dmv-written-test.com/texas/cdl/practice-test-1.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIud7l7u7x1wIVnY2zCh0jcwOqEAAYASABEgJmxvD_BwE

These weren’t helpful?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad