Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers license

drifter55806
Explorer
Explorer
HI,
I'm new to this group, but not new to the RV life style having been fortunate to have parents who loved it and had been in all the lower 38 states and many provinces in Canada by the time I got out of high school. The biggest change is coming however, selling my house, and that is what brings this question to mind:
How do people who live full time in their RV and no longer own a home or rent an apartment get their drivers license? After I sell my house the thought is to make my official state of residence one of the 6 without income tax. But even if I stayed with my current state I still would not have an address and without that I don't think states will issue a license.
So how do you full timers who live solely in your RV get a DL from a state in which you do not actually live?
Thanks!!
Bob
11 REPLIES 11

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Gonzo42 wrote:
Maybe if you just keep moving, obamacare won't be able to find you.

Will every time you file tax return.......and doesn't care where you are :B

Of course if your under retirement age and not yet eligible for medicare, you may find the ACA to be in your favor. This could also affect your decision on what state you use as a home state, as states where they oppose the program tend to have much higher premiums.:B
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Medico
Explorer
Explorer
We used our mail forwarding service physical address to establish residency in Florida. We then declared Florida as our domicile. Remember residency and domicile are different. Domicile is where your official address is for driver's license, vehicle registration, voter registration, etc. Residence is where you are presently living. Our domicile is Florida. In a couple of months our residence will be a SP in Colorado, but our domicile remains as Florida.

To enable you to get a Florida driver's license, you must have a legal residence (physical address) in Florida. Our mail forwarding service provides this. Once you get your Florida Driver's License, you can then register your vehicles in Florida, but you do not really have to. Remember the first time you register a vehicle in Florida the tag fees are high ($225 per tag plus the first year registration fee) but the renewals are about $70 or so. You should register to vote in the state you declare as your domicile. You also should file a notarized Declaration of Domicile form in the county where you have set up your physical address with the county clerk.

Our mail forwarding service (St. Brendan's Isle in Green Cove Springs, Florida) had all the instructions and necessary forms on their web site.
GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655, FMCA #F431170

2006 Country Coach Magna, 2012 Jeep Liberty

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
drifter55806 wrote:
Opps! Obviously I meant the lower 48 🙂

I just thought maybe you graduated from high school right after Colorado joined the union in 1876!! :B
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gonzo42 wrote:

Will every time you file tax return.......and doesn't care where you are :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
drifter55806 wrote:
Opps! Obviously I meant the lower 48 🙂

LOL! I was going to ask just how old you are and when you started camping! For future reference, when you need to edit your post, just hit the "edit" button within the post, and you can make changes to the original. Welcome to the forum!
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at ALTERNATIVE RESOURCES . They have some good info about SD. We have used them for 8 years with no problems.
Also there is some good info on what a legal domicile is HERE
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of good domicile and overall general full time RV living information on these webpages:

NuRvers
Escapees
GoneWithTheWynns
Technomadia
RV Lifestyle Experts
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Need to check the state 'residency' requirements/restrictions.
Some states require a physical presence in-state in order to maintain state residency.

No state income tax is the least of issues.

DL's, vehicle registrations, insurance (vehicle & medical) require a 'physical' address that is recognized/accepted.

Some RV friendly states----FL, SD, TX.
They have mail forwarding services that provide a 'recognized' address and are easy to establish 'domicile'

BUT........with the Obamacare mandate medical insurance coverage can be an issue as some of the providers are not accepting a PMB (private mailbox) address (which is what you have with a mail forwarding service)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's a bunch of really helpful stuff here:

Posts in FT with driver and license in them
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

drifter55806
Explorer