cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fulltime Address and working in another State?

ricklord2001
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently considering full timing and I think I've got most things figured out except one. I started a small business after I got out of the Computer Industry and did quite well. I currently have only kept a couple of premium accounts that allows me to work 4-5 short hour days a month (scheduled by me) and it pays great money for little work.
However it looks like I'd be using the Florida service for my home base location but doing my work in Georgia. Anybody know of any problems in doing this? Or have any suggestions/pointers on doing this?
This is about as close to free money as one can get and I want to make sure I don't screw it up with a oooops forgot about that.
Thanks
24 REPLIES 24

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes you can 'live' in FL and work/earn monies elsewhere.......all legit.
Just have to pay GA any taxes due on the monies earned in GA (or any other state).

File Federal using FL address and then file whatever forms GA requires for state tax on the monies earned there.
All filings can be handled by you or tax preparer.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rockportrocket
Explorer
Explorer
You can do it. Is it legal? NO !!! Unless you follow proper IRS procedures and watch out for Ga laws, they are different than most states on transient labor and taxes. I did exactly what you described, and it can really be a problem if you are not careful.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
ricklord2001 wrote:
Thanks for the replies unfortunately my work is a service and requires me on site at the location. I'm not looking to grow it anymore so I don't post signs or advertise and they don't really care where I come from just as long as I am there when I say and do a good job.
I've looked at Escapees but hadn't really looked for that info will go back and check again thanks for that info.

Do keep in mind that the person that pays YOU has to keep records, too, and will be reporting to taxing authorities the amounts paid to you. Another good reason to consult an accountant knowledgeable about the rules for the State(s) you're doing business in.

They are required to file 1099. If that is the case then you probably should file state income tax in the state you earned it. Certainly easier to track.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
ricklord2001 wrote:
Thanks for the replies unfortunately my work is a service and requires me on site at the location. I'm not looking to grow it anymore so I don't post signs or advertise and they don't really care where I come from just as long as I am there when I say and do a good job.
I've looked at Escapees but hadn't really looked for that info will go back and check again thanks for that info.

Do keep in mind that the person that pays YOU has to keep records, too, and will be reporting to taxing authorities the amounts paid to you. Another good reason to consult an accountant knowledgeable about the rules for the State(s) you're doing business in.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

ricklord2001
Explorer
Explorer

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
I would assume if you earn $$$ in Georgia, you would owe Georgia state taxes, assuming Georgia has state taxes. We are fulltime, are domiciled in SD, DH works in CA for several months each year. We file a non resident return every year and pay a small amount of tax.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
This is a question I'd ask of a tax accountant.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually, your pending lifestyle question has been answered many times on the Escapees forum: Escapees
You'll probably get better information from the people there than you would from an attorney that's not specialized with the lifestyle you plan.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
This is a question better asked of an attorney than an anonymous internet forum!

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
May or may not be totally legal because of state tax laws. I'm not sure I would tell everyone in the world that is what I was doing. Or posting signs. If it was a part time business I would just do it. Do your customers know where you are? If not don't tell them. In todays real world everything is drop shipped anyway. Nobody knows where the company is located unless it is a larger operation. I suspect the govt. Is chasing larger operations. I suspect every part time camp worker is violating the law. Several months back there was a post. Retired RVer part time camp worker volunteered info to NV hwy patrol he was working as a camp host in NV. WHY?? He was cited for not having a NV drivers license. He could have been honest and just said. "Retired and traveling." JMHO