cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Health insurance -- where to call home when I apply?

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
I've been on the road 7 years (no other home) and have used my parents' address in MT as my home address. My vehicles are registered there. They're now moving to Mexico full-time selling their house, and I'm wondering where I should declare myself for health insurance coverage. Going to take a look at the Affordable Care thing this weekend. I spend a lot of time in CA, Occasionally AZ, MT. Other spots I visit less frequently. I literally won't have a place to declare as a home base once they've moved. But they are still there for now.

Any thoughts on this? I have friends in MT and WA state which may be willing/able to let me use their address as my home address if that helps at all. The friend in MT in on the other side of the state.

Thanks...

Also wondering if you have a preference for auto/rig insurance. Progressive signed me up knowing I was on the road most of the year then I got rear-ended last May and they dropped me because the accident happened in CA. Then I was dumb enough to bring up my rig and they said, "Yeah, you'll lose that too when it's up for renewal."
18 REPLIES 18

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
Jfet wrote:
As some additional info, I believe moving to a different state counts as an event that lets you sign up for ACA at any point in the year (thus you can really ignore the deadlines if you are moving). You may want to check that but I am pretty sure it is true.

https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/qualifying-life-event/
Qualifying Life Event

A change in your life that can make you eligible for a Special Enrollment Period to enroll in health coverage. Examples of qualifying life events are moving to a new state, certain changes in your income, and changes in your family size (for example, if you marry, divorce, or have a baby).

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Jfet wrote:
As some additional info, I believe moving to a different state counts as an event that lets you sign up for ACA at any point in the year (thus you can really ignore the deadlines if you are moving). You may want to check that but I am pretty sure it is true.

Not sure about this. I know once you have insurance through the ACA you can sign up in your new state, but not sure if it applies to first time sign ups.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
cannesdo wrote:
And when I do register there do I have to go to Livingston?
Join Escapees. This is their business.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
Jfet wrote:

I think you are correct. There are a couple of other things that qualify also.

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
The reason people talk about Florida, SD, and TX when it comes to fulltiming is that none of those states have state income tax and all have good, reliable mail services with addresses that suffice for legal physical addresses.

For Texas, you can join Escapees (www.escapees.com), get the address (mail service) set up and register your vehicles by mail with the Polk County Assessors office and get your plates, etc. Once you have done that, you can get your driver's license at any DPS office in the state - like El Paso. Any state that you move into will require you to physically be there for your driver's license.

But, I don't think you can get it all accomplished in one day.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, and especially CloudDriver for that link! Really helpful!

My question now is this. Why does everyone only mention Texas, SD and Florida. Do I even need to physically go to Texas in order to set up my residency there, aside from eventually registering the vehicles? And when I do register there do I have to go to Livingston? Can I register anywhere in TX (like El Paso?) Can I sign up with the Escapees thing, get the mail forwarding, sign up for the ACA insurance and call myself a Texan? The ACA is cheaper in AZ, which is closer to my usual haunts, which is why I thought that would be a better fit for me. What would be the advantages of going with TX over AZ?

Sorry, I'm new to a lot of this. Was sick much of my life and my dad took care of a lot of this stuff and there's a learning curve.

Thanks so much for your help!

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting write-up on the ACA and its effects on full timers here.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
I have been researching this myself in regards to the ACA. Florida will be my state of domicile. They have the most insurance companies in the exchange and have the best pricing vs Tx and S.D. I did not consider other states because of being a fulltimer, taxes, vehicle inspections etc.
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
cannesdo wrote:
Yes, I heard on the news that it has been extended until mid-April. But you have to start the process this weekend.

Arizona is probably the best bet for me as I am in the SW a lot and my dentist is in Algodones. Is a mail service enough to establish residency? For a certain length of time? You don't have to show utility bills or have a license?

I have a Blue Shield policy which turned into an ACA policy which is current but I want to start fresh with a new one since my income has changed. She said I could do that and if I want to go with the new one I could cancel the other.

Hi. Looks like all you have to do is go on HealthCare.gov and request an extension by Monday. Not sure about the DL or mail service. Sorry. Mom and Dad are in Kingman so will be using their address when we leave next year.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I heard on the news that it has been extended until mid-April. But you have to start the process this weekend.

Arizona is probably the best bet for me as I am in the SW a lot and my dentist is in Algodones. Is a mail service enough to establish residency? For a certain length of time? You don't have to show utility bills or have a license?

I have a Blue Shield policy which turned into an ACA policy which is current but I want to start fresh with a new one since my income has changed. She said I could do that and if I want to go with the new one I could cancel the other.

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/03/26/obama-administration-announces-health-care-extension/

Hope that works.... If not just google... " Did the healhcare deadline get extended? "
Many articles about it all over the web. Saw it originally on Yahoo on Tuesday.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nutinelse2do wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
You've only got 3 days left..deadline for ACA is March 31st....Monday

After that date you have to wait until mid-Nov to sign up. But you will be paying a tax penalty.

FL, SD & TX are Full Time RV friendly states....some issues with ACA Med. coverage and I don't know that you can meet 'residency' requirements by Monday.

Sorry, not true. Got extended again until at least mid April, and then if you don't have it, you merely answer the question... Did you look for it and couldn't find it? Says they will not be enforcing it or verifying anyones answer.

Az is supposedly the 3rd lowest premium state for health insurance since they expanded Medicade, and if you can get an unicorporated County like Kingman, there is no smog check on vehicles. Vehicle insurance rates are dirt cheap also. Good luck. Safe travels.

Where did you see extended to mid-April? Link???

HealthCare.gov......March 31 LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
You've only got 3 days left..deadline for ACA is March 31st....Monday

After that date you have to wait until mid-Nov to sign up. But you will be paying a tax penalty.

FL, SD & TX are Full Time RV friendly states....some issues with ACA Med. coverage and I don't know that you can meet 'residency' requirements by Monday.

Sorry, not true. Got extended again until at least mid April, and then if you don't have it, you merely answer the question... Did you look for it and couldn't find it? Says they will not be enforcing it or verifying anyones answer.

Az is supposedly the 3rd lowest premium state for health insurance since they expanded Medicade, and if you can get an unicorporated County like Kingman, there is no smog check on vehicles. Vehicle insurance rates are dirt cheap also. Good luck. Safe travels.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912