cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jury Duty

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
I searched back into last year but didnt find any discussion on this so i thought i'd start a new thread.

Have any of you fulltimers been called for Jury Duty and how did that go. In my home county, they are VERY lenient with excuses, especially for older folks as they dont want anyone on the panels that are particularly grumpy to the point that it could affect their judgement/attention. All you have to do here is call them up and explain yourself and if it seems credible, theyll let you off. Sometimes they ask when you will be available and theyll call you then.

Anyone fulltiming ever get called for jury duty?
Anyone fulltiming ever try to talk your way out of it? Did it work?
14 REPLIES 14

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have received one from S Dakota. All I had to do was contact them and advise I was a full-time rver. Excused.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Wife got notice last year but was never called, we would have headed home if she was.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said - depends on where you live. Also depends on whether it's a local or federal court. In my neck of the woods the locals are easy going but the Feds are a different matter - hard to even get someone to answer the phone and have reputation for issuing bench warrants.
Kevin

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to you all! Thats what i was hoping to hear- common sense is still alive in county governments in the US.

I also would love to be on a criminal jury (not civil cases, those are boring+). I have had several chances in my life:
1) FEDERAL Grand Jury (i was literally moving hundreds of miles away the next day and the clerk scratched me. i asked her to recommend me for the federal jury system where i was moving to and she laughed and told me that wasnt how it worked.
2) local DUI of a pos type. didnt get picked. i stayed and watched the trial. easy case. he was convicted.
3) local Home Invasion/Burglary with Intent to Commit ****. he pled out. and good dang thing for him that he did too from the looks of thing.
4) called locally 2/2020. Wuhan hit and have been in jury limbo ever since as courts are suspended here. i only have 2 more dates, both in Sept, that i can serve and it looks likely that isnt going to happen.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Old-Biscuit wrote:
When we FTd we both got Jury Duty Summons from our registered county....Minnehaha South Dakota
Call Clerk of the Court and explained we were FTrs....Clerk thanked us and removed us from Jury Duty Roster.

Newly issued DLs triggered the JD Summons.....simple phone call resolved it

Same here.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I am old enough for my geezer card, but I've never gotten a jury duty summons! And I think I would enjoy being on a jury. On the other hand, my son has been tapped 3 times for it, go figure.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
When we FTd we both got Jury Duty Summons from our registered county....Minnehaha South Dakota
Call Clerk of the Court and explained we were FTrs....Clerk thanked us and removed us from Jury Duty Roster.

Newly issued DLs triggered the JD Summons.....simple phone call resolved it
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like second chance, that is one of many reasons we went with Escapees 17 years ago. Jury duty in Polk County is managed very well. The court system understands the fulltime situation, in other words "you don't get that deer in the headlight look". Most of our notices were late when they reached us as in Alaska. Absolutely no problems. When you call the courthouse you converse with red blooded pumping human being.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are Escapees and domiciled in Polk County, Texas. We usually receive our forwarded mail with a jury summons after the jury selection date. When we get the summons, I just call the clerk of the court in Polk County. All I have to say is, "We're Escapees" and they stop me and say, "OK, thanks for calling." With the number of Escapees who are full-timers and domiciled there, all of the county offices are used to dealing with us.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
SAR Tracker wrote:
How can they prove you received the notice? Especially with the state of the USPS these days?

Cant speak for anywhere else but here it is assumed you got it and a bench warrant is issued if you dont show. Then you get to 'splain it to the judge and hope he buys it. I've met some Ahole judges but none of them were stupid when it came to people lying to them.

But they have to get hold of you to punish you 'eh? I have known people that would not go into a certain state because of what they thought might be waiting for them. Still, imo its easier to play it straight.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
We retired and moved to a small town in Texas. They sent me a jury summons while we were RV'ing so when we got home I called them and explained we travel quite a bit. Their reply, "I'll just take you off the list so you'll never have to worry". God, I love small Texas towns!

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
How can they prove you received the notice? Especially with the state of the USPS these days?
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some California counties are more strict than others.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
The last time I got a jury notice (and there have been a few), a questionnaire was included with the notice. One of the questions was round trip commute distance to the courthouse. I consulted Google maps and provided an honest answer - 2800 miles. I was excused.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch