cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Travel Full Timing Questions

Darian
Explorer
Explorer
So long story short, we have a piece of land and decided we wanted to stick a either a park trailer, travel trailer, or fifth wheel on it.

So, for questions:
Is it possible to have running water if we can hook it up to whatever water system will be on the land?

I know that the black and grey water tanks need to be emptied - can we hook it up to the (likely septic...) waste system and simply keep the valves closed, emptying the tanks as needed?

My father has a WiFi source in his truck - can we put a WiFi source in the trailer?

The land is currently cleared but undeveloped - what needs to be put in for water, electricity, dumping? Perhaps a concrete slab to put the trailer on? Is there anything else that we need to put on the land for the trailer?

Thank you for your time!
10 REPLIES 10

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Technically possible, but legally it depends on who you are dealing with locally. Counties and municipalities have their codes, power and water suppliers have their own rules. In many places it is easier to work things out if what you want to spot on the site is HUD standard manufactured housing, rather than something built as a RV. Might even be less expensive, particularly compared to a fiver built for ful time living.

What you have to deal with varies a lot. Around here, the county is pretty easy in rural areas, but the power company wants the site to be at least ten acres, and we have to pay for the run from the nearest line, including transformer and meter at the site. Water is another hassle. If in a rural water district, may not be allowed to drill a well for potable water, have to hook up to district mains according to their rules and fees. Many places here, there are now shallow aquifers, first mile or so of drilling will produce brine, oil and gas, surface groundwater is OK for livestock but not human consumption and not reliable year round.

Some ranches put out RVs for "temporary" housing of seasonal workers, but what is temporary are the occupants, not the RVs. These get their utility hookups as outbuildings of a larger ranch complex, not standalone on a property.

It all depends on just where you are. I've been told Harris County has no zoning (or a least not a zoning board) but I do suspect they have building and health codes. I've seen things in West Texas and on tribal lands that would not be allowed on rural lands in the part of Oklahoma. Investigate for the locality.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
FYI, I just today talked to someone about putting a well in on our property in a very rural county. No permit required for well. Well starts at approx $4000 for no deeper than 200 ft, 45 gal tank and small pump (1 hp I think). small pump will be enough for RV or small home, but not strong enough for irrigation system or lots of water use. The county I am talking about is one of the poorest in the state and the property (over 100 acres) is far away from any city or even any town services.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Cloud_9
Explorer
Explorer
You have received some good advice, the first thing you must doo, is check your zoning laws, many places will not allow it, and if you are in an area with stick and brick homes surrounding, they will not be happy, so do not think you will be able to stay under the radar, so nothing below code or "iffy".

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
Darian, I've done what you suggest in 3 different locations/states. So, yes its doable, but there can be many complications.
step 1 before spending $1, is to confirm the local authorities will allow it, many don't. Some counties will only allow it if there is some other habitable structure on site.
Those that do allow it will require you have a water well, a septic sys and some type of power. The power can be from a nearby utility line or from an onsite generator and/or solar & battery bank. It depends what's nearby and what the access is, but don't expect any of those to be cheap.
Jim

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I am "parked" in TN at my son's mini-farm for a few years. No city zoning problems.

Ran underground PEX water from his home.

Parked close to one of his out building that had electricity so that was not a problem.

For black/gray water a 55 gallon drum buried with some "field lines" work as a septic tank. If you flush with lots of water and use cheep single ply toilet paper not problem. A RV does not use as much water as a "house" so for 3 years no septic problems.

The only problems I have is (1) protecting (turning off) the water in cold weather and using the on-board pump. (2) poor insulation high electrical bill in summer and high propane bill in winter -- I also heat with a small electrical heaters.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
If legal per zoning regulations:

Perhaps a water tank and have water trucked in rather than digging a well.

Electricity from solar or wind power.

You'll find info on this sort of thing on off-the-grid living websites or tiny house sites. Also Mother Earth Magazine.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
To answer in the simplest way for the OP: the answer is "Yes".

As long as you have power, sewage, and a water source, you can live in an RV with comfort and all modern conveniences, including internet access. All you need a source to WIFI or a direct line coming into the camper. There are a number of other factors to take into consideration, like climate and the integrity of your camper. But goodness! Survivalists can live in the jungles and they don't need electricity or septic tanks!

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Darian - I got the feeling you're thinking about this because you think it's going to be cheap living, and it might be after you get everything in, but to do that, depending on how far electricity has to be run, I think you're looking at an easy $25,000.

We just put in electricity and it only had to be run from across the street and the cost was about $7,000 for the local electrical company to set one pole and the contactor to hook up the meter base and two 50A outlets. Also put in water by hooking into the neighbor's well across the street. I had a free backhoe and operator to use, just had to pay for diesel.

Call:
1. A well drilling contractor
2. Your local power company, ask how close power is and rough cost to get to your property.
3. Call a local electrical contractor, ask them once the electric company drops power to your property, how much it will cost to run power to the meter base and install 100A service to power a trailer house.
4. Call a cement contractor ask them cost to put in a pad.
5. Do you need a driveway and a culvert?
6. Call a licensed contractor for a septic system estimate - you'll also have to get a perk test done to see if some authority will give you a septic tank permit. You'll have to hire a backhoe to dig the hole for the perk test. Just to get the permit, hire a hoe to dig the hole and do the perk test will run a $1,000 before you ever get started on the septic system.

I think you're in for a surprise on the cost. How to set up WiFi is the least of your problems.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
The zoning issues are usually city or county and can limit whether you can live in the RV or trailer. The county we live in in Florida only allows trailers in RV parks or on property zoned for manufactured housing. Even then they limit the type like trailer vs modular home. If it's going to be permanent and not used for travel, I would go with a trailer, park model or tiny house that does not have holding tanks to worry about. Park models usually are hooked to sewer with pvc pipe rather than flexible hoses like RVers use. It is not advisable to leave the dump valves open on an RV. The tanks and valves dry out which would cause problems. Also with park models, trailers and tiny houses you don't leave the tires on to rot.
Some park models don't require a slab. Some trailers can be set up on blocks. You can get wi-fi with Verizon Mi-Fi or other cellular carriers but it is very expensive and the plans are based on usage, not unlimited. That is if you have decent cell signal at the property. You can get satellite for TV like DISH or Directv. The utilities are expensive as the previous post states.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

bdpreece
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make sure before you do anything that zoning will allow you to use the property the way you want to. Often rv's can only be on property a certain number of days at a time. Other areas are stick built homes only. Availability of Sewer/water/electricity from local sources is probably the first question. If water is available locally then it comes down to the cost to install the line and a meter. If public water is not available then your only other option is to drill a well. Is a public sewer available? If not then installation of a legal septic system can be somewhat expensive but a better option than driving somewhere every two or three days to dump. Next there is electric. Bringing in power and installing a temp pole with a meter can be expensive. We have been through this twice in the last 15 or so years and it was not cheap. That being said when we sold the developed property we recovered our monies and then some.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad