Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Remodelling

Smart_Alec
Explorer
Explorer
I don't suppose I'm the only one who has to deal with this,

I'm in an older Dodge motorhome, a Class C Tioga. It's my residence. I don't have a brick and mortar house to retreat to.

The ceiling leaks and there's been some water damage. I need to renovate this thing while still living aboard.

Anyone else been in a similar situation? How did you cope?
5 REPLIES 5

Ballenxj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you get it fixed? I'm curious about how you faired and what you did about it?
I hope it worked out.
Downsizing ๐Ÿ™‚

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
We've lived in leaky 5ers. I would find a leak while moving furniture and vacuuming. Then DH would go redo caulking on the roof and around end caps and wait until the next rain storm to see if the area stayed dry. We took one back to dealer on our way through town and they just added more caulk where he had. So decided we'll never do that again.

But if you don't catch the leaks early, then you could be looking at major repairs under the skin.

That is also something we've done, remodeled our homes while living in them. It's not difficult, put things in totes to keep them dry and out of sawdust. Then remove the ceiling panels to see if there is any hidden damage. The wall or ceiling panels can be replaced via RV Surplus or ordering through a local RV Dealer or Mobile Home Mfg.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Consider having the rig pressure tested - should expose all the leaks and give you a better idea of what it's going to take to fix the leaks .. cost about a $100. Don't bother restoring interior until your sure it's watertight again.
Kevin

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Rent a garage or an indoor storage space -- for short term, like a month.

That way, when you take it apart you can protect it while you repair. Not easy to find, but you're not limited to where you look.

Find a farmer with an old barn, rent the barn for a month ...
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Normally I would say "Blue Tarp" but over the years I have refined my bubba side so I would now recommend the ones that are cammo color.