cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Retirement

barbandwayne
Explorer
Explorer
When you retired, did you have a plan as far as what you were going to do with all that free time. DH is retiring this spring and he's dreading not having something to do everyday. I can make a big list, but he's not interested in that!
25 REPLIES 25

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
barbandwayne wrote:
.................. I can make a big list, but he's not interested in that!

Cute. In 2 years I may retire, and my DW is building up her lists. She won't let me do any of the things until I retire. She wants to make sure I stay busy.........and not just sit around. ๐Ÿ™‚

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We call it semi retirement. 6 months traveling. 6 months at the S&B doing something almost every day mon-sun.

Typical day today. A few hours which involved a chainsaw, a hedge cutter & a trimmer then an hour playing mechanic. Every evening a few hours planning the where to go for the other 6 months.

This winters to do list is down to 2 major jobs left. Paint house roof & remove diesel engine from boat.

There is always something to do. Even the trailer gets a week in a boatyard for the annual refurb before heading out. That is when the retirement part starts.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I think retirees need to have a purpose such as travel, volunteering, hobbies, taking up sports, hiking, golf, card groups, taking classes to learn a new craft or just take classes in anything. There is so much out there to keep you busy. If you're bored it's your own fault. Retirement should be a fun, carefree time in your life.

You need to get away from the house and meet and talk to people and develop new friendships.

If you stay at home and all you do are 'chores' you will go stagnant and health issues will arise. Active people in both body and mind are healthy people.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
What free time? I've been retired for going on six years. I still can't figure out how I had time to work. Seems like something needs fixing every day. Guess I either ignored stuff that needed fixing or paid someone else to fix it when I was working. Having the time to analyze and plan has allowed me to tackle some complicated projects that I never would have attempted previously.

We had a plan that included enjoying our mutual interests developed over the decades of marriage. We hike, ATV, Jeep, work in the yard, read and spend almost six months a year in the MH.

We eat healthy and keep a regular sleeping schedule. That was sometimes impossible when working. I actually feel better that I did before I retired.

My dad was forced to retire early due to health problems. Work was his life. He had a few outside interests but not many he could continue. After he retired, he sat down in his chair and waited to die. He was always immaculately groomed. He let himself go, wearing the same clothes day after day. When he didn't die after a couple years he started volunteering and did several terms on the grand jury.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ive had a plan for at least 10 years. Unfornutately some of it got passed over when we were forced out 3 years premature. We still spend at least 2 to 3 months each year volunteering for the state park system. If you like camping, start volunteering. We have made meals for the homeless too. So there are lots of opportunities besides sitting in the barkmo lounger and watching judge judy.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I quit work because I didn't have time to do everything I wanted too. Work was taking up too much time.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I stay busy enough that I might go back to work just to rest up. today's project is changing oil in the various generators out in the garage.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
yes I had a plan baut DW had other plans. I worked part time since she was a teacher and not quite ready to retire. then my heath got into the equation and changed things then every thing went to heck after that. She found out she had MS and so she had to retire. but we make the best of it and enjoy the grand kids and what traveling we can do. A lot of it is played by ear any more.

Emptypockets
Explorer
Explorer
In one word no. But let me address the other question you pose. For some people going to a job is their whole life. Unless your husband is one that won't get out of his easy chair, he will find what most of us did. How did I ever have time to work a full time job? Being you are on a RV page I take it you do camp - a wonderful way to forget having to get up to an alarm clock!
The Palmers

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
What are his interests?

Does he have anything else besides work/the job?

My retirement was quick........quit on Friday and changed status to Retired on Monday 12 yrs ago.
Never looked back. Enjoyed what I did but I did it for MONEY.

I still wonder HOW I did all the other stuff and worked.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, we had a plan. But, sometimes, life gets in the way and our plans changed drastically.
Travel and do what you can, while you can. You don't know what life will hand you tomorrow.
Enjoy your travels.