cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Security system ?

Ropdoc
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, The park that I am staying in recently had a rash of thefts. Mostly bikes and generators. I have everything locked up BUT the discription of the guys is not good. A group in a black truck with blacked out windows. One of them seen caring a bat or bolt cutters. We have park rangers but all the do is remind you to not drive the wrong way and other small rules. So we are on our own.

I am wondering if anyone has a system with door, sound and motions sensor. A motion activated camera and a VERY LOUD siren. I don't need it to be monitored because we move around alot. I know I can build my own. I am just interested in what yall do?
13 REPLIES 13

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
I can only echo the sentiments expressed above. We've been doing this FT thing for many years. Do your homework and go to parks with clean records. They're out there, usually well off the beaten path and largely inhabited by seasonals.

Case in point, we are currently in a small(50 site)park in North Central FL. All the amenities that we require (great WiFi being the priority). Their (verified) record is not a single reported theft in 21 years). Again, do your homework. After that, if you choose that venue and when you have been there a few days you don't feel comfortable, your rig has wheels. Use them.

If you feel the need for a security system, you are in the wrong place.

Happy Travels
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
Statistically most burglary's are in and out, less than five minutes. Targets of opportunity like generators, high end coolers like Yetis, tools etc are hock items for druggies. Alarms tend to annoy your neighbors and the cops who respond. We are work campers in west texas. 100 spaces, we have a mix of long term guests, students, retirees, and workers involved with a pipeline project. And the usual amount of those passing through.
We watch out for each other. Unfamiliar rigs are watched, work campers report anything out of place by radio. We clamp down on speed limits, loose pets, trash on sites, loud parties etc.
The type of problem you describe is a breakdown of your "neighborhood". I'd move to a better managed park.
If I'm in a place where everything needs to be bolted down, I'm in the wrong place.
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Our security system is Pasha and Ginger. If they go with us the rest doesn't matter. However we don't stay in campgrounds without some type of security. You pay more but peace of mind is worth it
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Ropdoc wrote:
I am just interested in what yall do?
Move.

X2
There really is NO reason to STAY at a park like that. There are MANY other CG's around any given location that would be more secure. I would not stay any where that is not safe.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Ropdoc
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
lanerd wrote:
I think I would find a more secure campground or rv park.

Ron

X2 - definitely!
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
These work well....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
What park are you at?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I had an alarm system with a 2 mile range transmitter and a pager that can listen for the alarm to go off. So it would be usable if you set the alarm and went into a mall, or a long hike, and the alarm goes off.

Another alarm for my work truck has a '1/2' mile range for the remote control, and it was also a receiver that would go off if the alarm tripped.

SOmething like this is what I found on Amazon.com today, in a quick search.

Amazon.com alarm

This is what I installed on my work van. It has a remote, and can detect a alarm from about 1/2 mile away.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037S2CB2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

The Astra 777 is a alarm that I installed over 10 years ago, and it worked fine while I had the van. In my Windstar van, it would run the automatic door locker/unlocker. You can program it to sound the horn or chirp the alarm when you leave or have a silent mode. I am sure there are better alarms out there today.

In my motorhome, the alarm siren that came with the alarm system, I removed the cover for the furnace air intake, and installed it behind the grill, where it would be painful for anyone to stand in the RV with the alarm going off. (this is due to a similar system at my office). I also installed a 12 volt relay and another fuse from the battery, then to a siren that I mounted above the fuel tank. If a would be thief where to short out the wires or disconnect them, the inside alarm would still alert any nearby neighbors. Also if the thief where to short out the wires and hope it would shut off the alarm, it would only trip a 10 amp fuse on my RV, not shut off any part of the alarm.

Also my alarm has a 'passive' anti-theft system. So if the door opens while the driver has his foot on the brake, this starts the passive system. The alarm will chirp after 45 seconds, and you are reminded to hit the 'disarm' button on the remote control. If not hit within 2 minutes, the alarm will go off, and then 30 seconds later the relay that shorts the ignition power to ground will energize, and short out the power to the distributor - stopping the engine.

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ropdoc wrote:
I am just interested in what yall do?
Move.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think I would find a more secure campground or rv park.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Move to another park, that's what the wheels are for - why would you stay somewhere that isn't safe?

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The problem for having unattended alarms at the camp grounds doesn't do you much good. Who is going to check on your trailer if you are not there... After it happens you will get thrown out for making loud noises haha...

If you have "Call the Police" type of alarm probably would not work well either in a camp ground full of RV's... Won't be easy for the local police to find your trailer... Of course after 15 minutes the intuder will be long gone anyway...

We keep our valuables with us at all times and work on the "Out of sight-Out of mind" for the items left behind...

I do have motion sensors setup on both sides of my trailer that will turn on the patio lights when tripped. I probably would get a note for the intruder saying "thank you for the lights"...

There really isn't much you can do with the aluminum walls the trailer use. You can gain access through the front door with a large screwdriver in most cases... things stowed outside can be grabbed in a heart beat using cut off tools...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS