Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Texas state Inspection may be gone

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Would exclude commercial vehicles
https://www.texastribune.org/2017/05/04/senate-passes-bill-would-eliminate-vehicle-inspection-requirement/
9 REPLIES 9

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Quartermoon wrote:
Since we live in Harris County, all our vehicles would still need emissions inspection. So it doesn't save us much trouble, just saves $7 per vehicle. It would be nice if we didn't have to take the 5th wheel to get inspected each year though.

Your trailer has no engine, so no emission inspection

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Quartermoon
Explorer
Explorer
Since we live in Harris County, all our vehicles would still need emissions inspection. So it doesn't save us much trouble, just saves $7 per vehicle. It would be nice if we didn't have to take the 5th wheel to get inspected each year though.
2016 Ford F250
2014 Open Range Light 318RL

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's been a while since I've had a vehicle inspected, but I really can't believe the one senators comment that this would eliminate jobs for mechanics who's sole job is to do inspections.

First off, I highly doubt they hire anyone to JUST do inspections. Secondly, as a mechanic, my salary was based on commission. Maybe not that way in gas stations and garages today, but if all I ever did was safety inspections (1) I wouldn't be a mechanic and (2) I couldn't make a living.

Maybe they could reduce cost of the program by eliminating turn signal checks. They appear to be optional these days.

Im sure there are some vehicles they have kept off the road due to safety issues... but Im also sure many of those vehicles kept on driving and took a chance they wouldn't get caught. Just like uninsured motorists.

I hope in the end it passes. I agree that it's really nothing more than a tax (and an inconvenience).

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Texas and have had a fifth wheel inspected every year since 2001. The inspections are cursory at best. During and after the inspections I usually talk with the inspector who will often share stories of lights, brakes, and tires that he has found that are downright scary. The ignorance of many trailer owners is alarming.

I resent these inspections because there is no way that my trailer or truck is going to fail one, as I won't drive or tow such a defective vehicle. But I'm glad that at least once a year somebody inspects, even in a simplistic surface manner, the Texas trailers that share the road with me.

In other words, Texas inspection isn't much but it's better than nothing.
There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
bob_nestor wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I recall reading awhile back that nationally, the average age of cars on the road has shortened significantly over the years. I suspect the TX senator may be correct due to that increased "newness" combined with safer cars being built. The commercial vehicle inspection requirement may be needed to comply with federal NHTSA requirements.

One big loophole in the inspection system is NAFTA. The trucks coming across the border are not subject to safety inspections and in Texas they travel the most heavily used corder thru the State which goes thru the heavily populated areas.

The no inspection bill would have no effect on the Mexican truck traffic situation of course, since those vehicles not currently subject to inspection would continue to not be inspected. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I recall reading awhile back that nationally, the average age of cars on the road has shortened significantly over the years. I suspect the TX senator may be correct due to that increased "newness" combined with safer cars being built. The commercial vehicle inspection requirement may be needed to comply with federal NHTSA requirements.

One big loophole in the inspection system is NAFTA. The trucks coming across the border are not subject to safety inspections and in Texas they travel the most heavily used corder thru the State which goes thru the heavily populated areas.

Years ago Texas used to have random license checkpoints where they'd pull everyone over to check driver's licenses. At the same time they could look for other things on the vehicle, although they rarely did. Unfortunately the Feds ruled those highways stops illegal.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Pennsylvania has a vehicle inspection law. Years ago it was every six months, then it was changed to annual inspections.

The Texas Senator claims safety inspections do no make the roads safer. But, the bill will continue to inspect commercial vehicles.
Is he right or, is this just to increase his popularity (votes)?
I don't know. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Tiger02
Explorer
Explorer
Would be nice if it actually makes it all the way through. I have lived all over the southeast. Only state that had safety inspections was NC. I saw no difference between these states in the general condition of vehicles on the road.

Now WA State is a different matter. Since returning to my home state last summer I'm surprised at some of the **** vehicles I see on the roads here.
2006 Keystone Outback Sydney 30 FRKS

1997 Ford F350 Auto, 4.10LS Axle, 160,000 Miles, Crew Cab with DRW.

US Army 1984-2016.