cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

USAA

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone use this bank and if so any problems? Went on line and read reviews of the bank and a lot of not so good ones. So any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
31 REPLIES 31

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Wow seems like a lot of trouble. We still haven't changed banks and we are a month in of fulltiming. We want a bank we have now decided that is easy to get to and every where. We having a hard enough time trying to find a cvs to get my meds. Lol
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

Rice
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm a fulltimer and I bank with USAA. My credit card got stolen recently and I had to get a new one. They were going to send it to my home address, to arrive in a week or so, but I said I was traveling and needed it sent to a different address, and I needed it to be quick.

But I was traveling--what address could I use? A business agreed to let me have the card sent to their address, and I was very specific with USAA about how the shipment needed to be addressed because I'm not an employee or anything. They sent it without the street address on the label, and they mangled the business name. Kind of hard to receive packages when they're addressed to a non-existent business name with no street address.

I had a similar thing happen a few years ago. (Which is why I was so specific with USAA about the address this time, to no avail.)

The previous time my credit card got stolen, I again needed an address to have it sent to. (Such is the life of a traveling fulltimer.) A guy at a community college said I could have the replacement cards sent to him there. I told USAA not to put my name on it (since nobody there knows me), and instead to use the guy's name, with the name of of the community college and the street address of the community college. What did USAA do? Addressed it to me, not the employee, and left off the community college's name. So it was addressed to Bob Smith, 123 Main Street.

It got delivered to the community college's main office, and someone opened it and saw that it was credit cards, but of course had never heard of Bob Smith. Fortunately, she stuck it in a drawer for safe keeping, and the community college employee I knew was able to call around enough to track it down.

And, my favorite USAA anecdote: I don't know if they still do it this way, but several years back, USAA limited the dollar amount of online transfers; over a certain amount, you had to do it by phone. I challenged it, and they said it was for my protection.

(I don't know the current policy because I figured out to initiate all online transfers at the other financial institution to get around USAA's rule--USAA will readily send any amount if it's done that way.)

And the thing is, not only did you have to do the transfer by phone, they would ask you why you were transferring the money! I always said, "It's none of your business."

(They also used to make you cash out certificates of deposit by phone only, and again, would ask you why you were doing it. I guess enough people complained, and they started allowing you to do it online.)

So one day I was doing a transfer by phone, and sure enough, the rep asked why I was making the transfer. Instead of my usual "none of your business," I said, "A nice young Nigerian man has asked me to lend him some money," and the rep didn't say a word about that and put the transfer through.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm a little puzzled - I just renewed my auto insurance on two vehicles. USAA was twice as much as the other three I contacted. Allstate was one, and State Farm too, and USAA was double quote for same coverage. Not sure if state matters as we live in Florida as a home residence, and own a home here. We're not full-timers, but we do travel a bit in Chevy with Truck Camper ... but not even towing.

USAA also told us it does NOT offer home insurance in Florida at all -- We were renewing both for the coming year.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Godsey97
Explorer
Explorer
We have our home (sticks and bricks) insured with them and all humans in the house have life insurance through them. We used to carry auto insurance too, but found GEICO to be cheaper when shopped around. A prudent person will shop their insurance every few years to make sure they are getting the best price AND service. Make sure to compare apples to apples.

USAA has been wonderful to us when we had to file a homeowners claim.

We bank at a local credit union (still a few years away from FT) because I like to be able to go in to a structure in person if there is a problem and get it fixed not play phone tag and feal with something long distance.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never heard of Navy Federal? Must not have been in the Navy!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again everyone! Besides banking which had been very easy setting up we will go with them with insurance also. The customer service for us has been so great and helpful. Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
I have been a member of USAA for 53 years and the customer service is outstanding. I have had boats ,RV's and homeowners with them as well as some banking along the way and the service has always been GREAT!!!!! I like the fact that each time you call they THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. Little things matter!!!!!!!

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
Roy&Lynne wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
DougE wrote:
Bank is great. Insurance is great, but they don't insure RVs or Motorcycles. They pass them off to Progressive.

Not quite true. They don't insure motorhomes any more, but do insure towables. We have been with USAA (bank and insurance) for over 35 years and they have been great to us - especially when my late wife died in a traffic accident. We are full-timers and they know it. They even placed a letter in our file confirming full-time coverage on us and the fifth wheel.

Rob

That is so weird. We have USAA Insurance and they insure our Class B. I wonder if its where you live.

Yes - and I forgot to mention this to one of our more adamant posters. Each state has an insurance commission that determines which each insurance company can and cannot do. When I call USAA with an insurance question, they have to transfer me to an agent licensed in Texas to work with me on my policies.

Rob

I assume you mean TX and RV's. My car is registered in TX and we have USAA as our ensurer.

To add another vote to this discussion. We are now full time. We have used USAA for 40+ years since my wife is a military dependent. We insure our fifth wheel itself under a vehicle insurance policy and the contents/liability which would normally be covered by homeowner's insurance with a renter's policy which also covers contents, both those in the trailer and our items in storage.

We have few complaints, having submitted claims for hurricane/storm damage, a claim for water damage from a frozen plumbing problem and several vehicle claims, including fifth wheel trailers. These have occurred over the years both as a home owner and the short time we have been full-timing.

My impression is that you can indeed get cheaper premiums, but their customer service once the claim is made has been excellent. Our plumbing/water damage claim occurred in January, 2018 and was resolved quickly. We know of cases of people still negotiating TS Harvey claims which occured in late August, 2017. That's including with "name brand" insurance companies that you see advertised frequently on TV.

We use them for our credit and debit cards as well and feel they have excellent plans, including no fee ATM usage for a limited number of monthly transactions
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

RVRoamer428
Explorer
Explorer
USAA is tops! never had troubles in over 30 yrs with them! in fact they helped me way more then I ever would have thought.
Great service and more. USAA is wonderful.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
DougE wrote:
Bank is great. Insurance is great, but they don't insure RVs or Motorcycles. They pass them off to Progressive.

Not quite true. They don't insure motorhomes any more, but do insure towables. We have been with USAA (bank and insurance) for over 35 years and they have been great to us - especially when my late wife died in a traffic accident. We are full-timers and they know it. They even placed a letter in our file confirming full-time coverage on us and the fifth wheel.

Rob

We have had our RV insured with them since the early 90s. It must be the state you live in or something. I've heard others say the same thing. We have had great experience with them but last year my DD found she could get cheaper insurance elsewhere on her vehicles so she changed.

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
We never heard of Navy Federal. But thanks for info. We are comfortable with usaa,so far. Thanks Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Usaa has no fees. Completely comfortable with them. Insurance we r still comparing. Insurance is a huge headache! Lol
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
caysea7254 wrote:
Thanks everyone for your comments. We will be using USAA for our banking and insurance since all of you have had good experience with them and some of you for many years. That is all we needed to hear to be comfortable switching. Thanks again, info is very appreciated! Tara

Nothing against USAA, but if you're not shopping the numbers and doing the comparisons in coverage and other things such as costs and fees among multiple providers, and that goes for banking, insurance, almost anything, good luck. Basing such decisions on anonymous posts on web boards is not the best course of action.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Navyvette
Explorer
Explorer
Yup I had motorcycle and RV direct through USAA for a few years. This was in CA and AR. When I moved to Texas I moved my bikes to Progressive and the RV to State Farm. For some reason USAA got crazy with everything.
I have loans with them and they are ok. If you have veteran status I would go Navy Federal for banking. They are open 24/7 for phone calls and they have physical branches in a lot of places.