cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Walmart Overnight Parking??

Lexicon7
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondered because most of them now have lots of signs up saying otherwise... Anybody have recent experience with this?
36 REPLIES 36

Big_Blue
Explorer
Explorer
Done this once so far. Checked with the on duty manager and there was no problem, As long as we sequestered ourselves into the back corner. While traveling only for miles, it makes sense. It makes no sense at all if you intend to sightsee from the parking lot. Get a real site then.
Bob & Patty Smith
both USAF Retired

Lexicon7
Explorer
Explorer
Most grateful for all the responses to my "Wally" quandary!
Just starting to get my "full timer" mindset back in gear
as spring begins to peep its little head up out of the winter
bedclothes ::: Don't care about cheap! (thanks to Banksters,
it has become a way of life when health issues confiscate your life!)
I love the people, the shopping, the family feeling and the community
I feel when at my neighborhood Walmart!
Bupster: Thanks much for the Wally Link! Had that somewhere but got it ready now ::: Solar Forever!!! Free Electricity Good!!

teamfamily5
Explorer
Explorer
We say at walmarts, cracker barrels, tractor supply's, truck stops, rest areas, always run the generator to watch tv and Ac if needed also drowns out noise from trucks and others never had any problems what so ever
"The great thing about where we live is, you can get anywhere in the world from here"

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Here it is straight from WalMart:

WalMart's Stance on Overnight Parking
Quote from the article "Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers." This article would be considered more than just PR spin if Walmart actually would also publish who they consider to be among their worst customers.
The fact that they don't tell their managers to always allow overnight parking unless there is an over-riding reason not to, such as local ordinances or insufficient lot space tends to show they really don't go overboard catering to those "Best Customers". Furthermore, you won't find any articles or documentation showing where Walmart and their $9,000,000+ cash on hand has been used to try and defeat any small town local initiative that bans overnight parking.
On the other hand, they have no problem using their resources to resist efforts to unionize their workforce or using that financial clout to force their suppliers to move their manufacturing operations to lower labor cost countries like China, Pakistan, India, Vietnam and countless other third world countries. Their "Buy American" campaign is relegated to the scrapheap of history, replaced by their desire to make as much money as possible off of everyone, regardless of the social costs. I think Walmart might be a few gestures short of Sainthood.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here it is straight from WalMart:

WalMart's Stance on Overnight Parking
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Many reasons for the signs. Always go in and ASK! You'll be surprised how many times you get a YES.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
I think some walmarts put up no overnight parking cause its a city ordinance...but they will let RVs stay anyway. The one in Durango has signs up but there are always RVs there early in the morning when I pass by.
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
We very seldom overnight in parking lots, but it makes a lot of sense when you're putting on miles. Most private RV parks are off the main route, and many are (for a lack of a better word) "sucker traps." They are rude, dirty, and poorly laid out for a RV. Most of those are along routes to a destination area. Just like cheap bedbug hotels are in strategic locations giving you no other options then driving on after a long day.

Wal-Mart is normally clean, secure, well lit, not very far off the main road, and open 7x24. We buy all we can from them, hopefully that will show our appreciation for what they offer the RV'er.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
Lots of us stay overnight at a Walmart because there is no campground or other facility available as we travel. Most stay open all night, have lights, many have security, and we usually have a bit of shopping to do before we leave. If we are cheap for doing so, then yes, we are cheap. And we drive a cheap, paid for motorhome that we are proud of. Besides the company at Walmart is a lot better than in the high-priced resort campgrounds. We don't have people looking down their rich noses at us either.
You can trust me on this one, Walmart heirs Bill Laurie, Nancy Walton Laurie, their spoiled daughter Paige Laurie, Los Angeles Rams Owner Stan Kroenke and most of the rest of Bud Walton's offspring will look down their very rich noses at you given the chance.

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
We also stop at some Walmarts as we are travelling south. As said before we always spend money in the stores. Some of the lots that say " no overnight parking " I am sure the original intent was to prevent the homeless camping out in their cars. Unfortunatly Rvs get treated the same.

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
Cheap is parking the Prevost at a Holiday Inn and getting a single-bed room overnight. Then pigging out on the free breakfast bar.

Haha now thats how i feel too!!! Truck stops allow you too overnight if needed, no worrys, ive done it.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
IMHO staying overnight in a Walmart parking lot spells `cheap'!
I have never had a problem being cheap. I won't pay a cg for 4 or 5 hours sleep.

X2. I'm cheap and proud of it. ๐Ÿ™‚
But, I always spend money at the business that allows overnighting.

Staying at a Walmart overnight on your way to a destination campground is intelligent. Going miles out of your way just to stay in a campground for one night just to sleep is not the smartest cost effective way to travel to a destination. JMHO. I frequently stay at a Walmart because they are usually conveniently located near a major route of travel. And I always need supplies and end up spending money so it is not really free.
Ok---call me cheap! Don't care!
rant is over
sorry ๐Ÿ™‚
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Cheap is parking the Prevost at a Holiday Inn and getting a single-bed room overnight. Then pigging out on the free breakfast bar.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
IMHO staying overnight in a Walmart parking lot spells `cheap'!
I have never had a problem being cheap. I won't pay a cg for 4 or 5 hours sleep.

X2. I'm cheap and proud of it. ๐Ÿ™‚
But, I always spend money at the business that allows overnighting.