cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which 5th Wheel for Full Timeing

Hermes
Explorer
Explorer
We have decided to full time, decided on a 5th wheel and plan to do so no sooner than November 2015, so we have time to look for a trailer. Since we will be full timing we are paying close attention to trailers built for and designed for the full timer, overall build quality and of course floor plan which is of course a personal choice. We started our research and have started looking at different trailers. So far we have narrowed it down to (not in any particular order Artic Fox, Keystone Montana, Jayco Pinnacle, Heartland Landmark and Open Range. I am interested to hear from others if we are on the right track, if there are others I am overlooking that are well suited to full time living and if any doing the same in any of the above mentioned units and how they are holding up. Thank you.
Regards, Bruce, Lin An & Kenji
2014 28' Northwood Mfg. Snow River 246RKS &
Hensley Arrow Hitch
2015 Ram 3500 CTD w/AISIN Tranny, Dually
2013 Aliner Expedition (Gone but not forgotten)
31 REPLIES 31

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a used Nuwa Hitchhiker from Kansas RV Center in Chanute KS. They used to build them there. We were able to change & add new items to our taste. We have been full timing for just over a year.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Truthfully, we've full-timed 16+ years and traveled extensively with other full-timers. There is no 'specific' RV for full-timers. They have all makes and sizes. I've never heard of anyone being denied warranty because he was a full-timer. Get one that you feel you can full-time in but make sure it has enough storage space for you and weight capability for carrying it. The weight numbers should also match your truck so you'll have not issues.

Full-timers typically travel according to the weather. They don't stay in freezing temps or hot, hot ones. However, I would suggest that you definitely get double pane windows. They won't get condensation as a single pane would.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Chicat
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2015 Heartland Big Horn 3875 FB and just love it. The powder room makes it easy to stop anywhere on the road with out moving any slides. We are extremely happy with the quality of this line and would recommend to anyone. The 42.5 foot length does limit some campgrounds, but for full timing it has plenty of storage. Hope this helps you and good luck on your decision.

Hermes
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Hermes wrote:
We have decided to full time, decided on a 5th wheel and plan to do so no sooner than November 2015, so we have time to look for a trailer. Since we will be full timing we are paying close attention to trailers built for and designed for the full timer, overall build quality and of course floor plan which is of course a personal choice. We started our research and have started looking at different trailers. So far we have narrowed it down to (not in any particular order Artic Fox, Keystone Montana, Jayco Pinnacle, Heartland Landmark and Open Range. I am interested to hear from others if we are on the right track, if there are others I am overlooking that are well suited to full time living and if any doing the same in any of the above mentioned units and how they are holding up. Thank you.

For the models you have mentioned you can pick up a lightly used DRV at the same price as the others new. The DRV will maintain it's value much longer than the others. We bought our 07.5 DRV in late 11 at 1/2 the sale price and just traded it in after 3.5 years of full time use and did not loose much from what we paid. After living in the DRV we figured out the options we wanted in a new rig and custom ordered at the first of the year and now have the rig that is suited to our needs.

Thank you for this info. We like some of the DRV units and well aware of their suitability for full time living, so we will explore this option as well, especially since we have some time.
Hensley Arrow Hitch

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hermes wrote:

For the models you have mentioned you can pick up a lightly used DRV at the same price as the others new. The DRV will maintain it's value much longer than the others. We bought our 07.5 DRV in late 11 at 1/2 the sale price and just traded it in after 3.5 years of full time use and did not loose much from what we paid. After living in the DRV we figured out the options we wanted in a new rig and custom ordered at the first of the year and now have the rig that is suited to our needs.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Hermes
Explorer
Explorer
rekoj71 wrote:
I was told by a dealer not to mention living in it fulltime when I was looking for warranty work, even if it was marketed as built for fulltimers. Just say it gets plenty of use. ๐Ÿ˜‰

If the unit is not warranted for full time use then there is truth to that, but if warranted for full time use, should not be a problem.
Hensley Arrow Hitch

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
I was told by a dealer not to mention living in it fulltime when I was looking for warranty work, even if it was marketed as built for fulltimers. Just say it gets plenty of use. ๐Ÿ˜‰

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
We fulltime in the unit in my sig. Had a Cedar Creek for 10 years. Snow birded and full timed in it. An ok rig but no comparison to DRV. Depending on model and options a DRV can be had for under a 100k. The last New Horizon I looked at as over 250k. I am hopeful DRV will fare as well as Airstream which Thor acquired and they are still building a good rig. I will get an idea how they are doing as we are having warranty work at the factory.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a DRV Traditions. Manufacture date was 7/14/2014. Pre- Thor. Quality of design is there. Build quality seems good. But time (and mileage) will tell.

According to the advertising brochures the Traditions model is targeting the Fulltimer market, that towes with a diesel SRW F250/2500 or above.

It seems DRV has concluded that there other models have taken them out of the mainstream of clients that don't want to tow with HDT's.

I am one of those people. I don't full time now...but spend 8 months of the year in my 5th wheel. The other 4 months, I travel close to home...and enjoy camping. So they now have a model for me.

Hope Thor allows DRV to continue to operate as they have.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
C-Bears wrote:
W
Don't get too hung up on what manufacturers claim about their units being for "full time use". I will repeat what Old Biscuit said about getting one with a good R-value and enclosed heated underbelly. When it comes right down to it there is not a FW out there that compares to a stick built home for actual full time use.

Good luck with your search.

There are/were manufacturers that warranted there units for full time use and there are those that may void the warranty if RV is used full time.
All RV's are not created equal. Buyer Beware.

That could be true, it depends on how you look at it. To me being full time means I need a unit that has a better suspension, more insulation built into it, and correctly rated tires. What I don't need is RV double paned windows, which are just two thin pieces of glass without any argon gas in between, and some of the other stuff some manufacturers claim make a unit certified for "full time" use.

My 2014 Montana has all available packages but not all available options. We travel and use it as a full time residence but it takes a lot more maintenance and "tender loving care" than our stick built did.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
MPI_Mallard wrote:
We own a Cedar Creek Daydreamer, fantastic fiver and the kids at Cedar Creek are the best!

We really like our Forest River Cedar Creek. Well made. The factory people are very service orientated and very nice to work with..
You might look at the FR Silverback. It is basically a Cedar Creek but less expensive.
ken and sue
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
C-Bears wrote:
W
Don't get too hung up on what manufacturers claim about their units being for "full time use". I will repeat what Old Biscuit said about getting one with a good R-value and enclosed heated underbelly. When it comes right down to it there is not a FW out there that compares to a stick built home for actual full time use.

Good luck with your search.

There are/were manufacturers that warranted there units for full time use and there are those that may void the warranty if RV is used full time.
All RV's are not created equal. Buyer Beware.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Hermes
Explorer
Explorer
What a great forum, lots of good and helpful info shared, I appreciate it.
Hensley Arrow Hitch

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Hermes wrote:
I realize I should have indicated our budget which is we want to stay under 100K, preferably in the 75 to 85K range, but for the right one we will consider going to 100K. .......

If there are particular floor plans you are interested in, google that floor plan and rvtrader and look at new units (or used if you are interested in buying used). Rvtrader.com will post models at various dealers all across the US for sale and the listed prices. You will find quite a variance in the listed prices. I have been looking at new Montanas. A new Montana that MSRP of $90K or more will be offered by dealers any where from near that $90K to as low as the $60K range or less. And the low end is what you should expect to pay for that new Montana. Using that info, you can bargain with your local dealer. I would guess the other models you are looking at would have similar price variations. Lots of research puts you in a better bargaining position. That would give you extra money to add things like better tires, washer/dryer, residential fridge (all options on Montana), and other upgrades.

Also by just googling the model number (without rvtrader in the search box), you will get lots of hits from additional various dealer web sites where you can look at pictures of their units and their listed prices.