Explorer
Explorer
Can each person bring 24 cans each?
41 REPLIES 41

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
SideHillSoup wrote:
We have many many many different brands and type of beer up here for you to try. We travel back and forth across the 49th many m at times as we have relatives in the USA and we also vacation / camp in the USA, so over the years we have had the odd ( grin) occasion of having booze at the boarder going north or south.
The only reason I bring beer into the USA is if my Cuz in Oregon wants some her fav Canadian suds, other than that I have USA beer on board.
Try some of our beers up here they are pretty good.
Have a great time up here.
Soup.

Seeing how I am sure statue of limitations has passed they canโ€™t charge me after 50 years, but we would as 18 to 21 year olds would travel to Vancover and when we returned we would โ€œImportโ€ large quantities of Canadian beer and liquor. It I was amazing the amounts beer and liquor one could hide in even a 68 Mustang, now the stashing space in a 65 impala was huge.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
They can get a case of 24 for around $15. Some states charge over $20 per case. That's still less than a buck a can.
How much is a 24 in Canada? $40+ $50+ ?
Not exactly giving it away....
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
We have great beers in Canada. And with your 30% adjustment, we are almost giving it away.

Our cigarette taxes are crazy, so if you smoke...bring what you can. On the bright side, you can buy a good Cuban cigar.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding being over allowable imports into Canada.
I think CBSA figures it's better to be a little forgiving on a few ounces or liters or dollars worth of goods, than waste your time and theirs sending you to secondary for further inspection and tax/duty paperwork. If you're way over the limit expect to pay duty/tax on it, but don't be surprised if you just get waved through. Like dealing with CBP going the other way, it depends on which CBSA BSO you get on any given day.
We cross weekly, and usually get waved through upon our return, after only being out of Canada for a few hours. We're always honest about what we have on board. We typically can bring back around $200 worth of stuff, and a small amount of beer or wine, but no liquor. We always have our receipts ready in hand, if asked, and are always ready and expect to pay duty/tax.
Polite and respectful helps. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
IB853347201 wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Better bring your own cigs if you smoke. Canadian cigs are terrible.

That's funny! When I used to smoke and was going to the states, that's what I used to say about American cigarettes!

A little bit of history! Canadian cigs are made with Virginia style tobacco and water just like British cigs were made in the distant past. American cigs are made with Virginia, Burley and Oriental tobacco and flavour is added.

Canadians won't smoke American style cigs, Marlboro has been test launched here and failed miserably as have others.

The same exists for other products, different countries, different tastes!

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
A case of beer in Alberta will cost you about $42 CDN or $31.50 USD.
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We've had more than the allowed duty free amount hard liquor and declared it crossing at Sweetgrass still had more than the allowed when we crossed into Alaska. I can only assume as through travelers they aren't as strict and no duty was charged.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Mmwtdh
Explorer
Explorer
I've entered Manitoba 10 times in the last 4 years. Each time we had more than the tax free allowance. I've declared 100% of what I have on board and only twice did I have to pay for the excess.

I just take what I want and buy more if I need it.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of stuff up here is expensive. You really have to know your prices in the US and Canada for the identical items, or you might wind up paying more up here.
The US$ has about a 30% advantage over the C$ as of today.
US$1.00 = C$1.305 which appears to be a great deal for Americans visiting Canada.
However, some things that are sold in both countries can cost twice as much up here, or more. If the item is more than 30% more up here than it is back home in the USA, you're paying more for it here, in spite of your forex advantage.

Just a friendly fyi and reminder for visitors from the US. Most of you who live on the border probably already know you can pay more here, for the same stuff you can get at home.
It's often the hidden or overt taxes in our retail systems and (imo) greed by Canadian retailers. They over charge for stuff because they know most Canadians will just shrug, and pay it.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:

I was going to ask, don't they sell beer in Canada?

Yes but any alcohol is expensive.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
cewillis wrote:

Sorry, way off topic, but this reminds me of a famous quote:
"24 cans in a case; 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not"

Does that mean 30 packs are for Daylight Savings? :B

:B Never thought of that

morley
Explorer
Explorer
SideHillSoup wrote:
We have many many many different brands and type of beer up here for you to try. We travel back and forth across the 49th many m at times as we have relatives in the USA and we also vacation / camp in the USA, so over the years we have had the odd ( grin) occasion of having booze at the boarder going north or south.
The only reason I bring beer into the USA is if my Cuz in Oregon wants some her fav Canadian suds, other than that I have USA beer on board.
Try some of our beers up here they are pretty good.
Have a great time up here.
Soup.

Totally agree with Soup we have quite an array of craft beers along with those made by the breweries.
With enough testing you will surely find one that you like.
Enjoy your visit to our fabulous country.
2008 Topaz F254SS 26 ft.
2009 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Tranny, 4x4, EC
250 watt solar panel system, BlueSky controller and remote

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
cewillis wrote:

Sorry, way off topic, but this reminds me of a famous quote:
"24 cans in a case; 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not"

Does that mean 30 packs are for Daylight Savings? :B

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy at the duty free when coming north, our liquor prices will scare you. You can bring more but the duty on the excess won't make it worthwhile.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Youโ€™ll live twice as long if you donโ€™t smoke but drink beer...honest!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad