cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carrying extra fuel in Canada

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are planning to drive up to Alaska this summer with our new 5er and I'm wondering if anyone knows if it is legal to carry 10 extra gallons of diesel fuel.
I don't want to be caught short between fill-ups in Canada or Alaska where I've been told never to pass up an opportunity to fill up the tank.
Just say no to the payload police :C
21 REPLIES 21

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
I can tell you've never been north. With our previous 5er I carried an extra 10 gal of diesel and 10 gal of gas for the generator. There were plenty headed for the back country that looked like they were going to open their own fuel stations.
The key is fillup whwn your at the 1/2 full mark or 1/2 empty unless you're headed for the bush your good
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Hauled fuel back and forth and nothing said @ the border's, carry 4 jug's all the time, 85 ltrs in case I needed fuel on the Dempster hwy and hwy 37 in BC, couple place's on 37 also want cash a lot of the because of credit machine problem's.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
TravelinDog wrote:
Thanks for all the varied opinions. I guess I should have been more specific.
My question was more along the lines of whether it would be legal to cross the Canadian border carrying a couple of 5 gallon jugs of extra diesel.
I'm certainly not going to spend $1800+ on an auxiliary fuel tank.

I thought so, that's why I recommended buying the cans after your cross into Canada. Or keep the cans empty at crossing.

Surely you can get ahold of the Canadian Border Crossing people and inquire with them.

EDIT TO ADD: I just took a quick look at Canadian Border requirements.
It *looks* like you can bring fuel across the border, but there is a limit to how much, there may be a fee to be paid if too much, and they may be picky about the fuel container. You really need to contact Canadian Customs, and if they say it's ok, try to get it in writing or email, and print copies and take with you.

I've always had good to great experiences with Canadian Customs, but it's been quite a few years since.

Good luck to you.

In light of all that, Personally I'd just buy a couple fuel containers in Canada after I crossed in. Easy, no worries, no stress, no **** to deal with.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
TravelinDog wrote:
My question was more along the lines of whether it would be legal to cross the Canadian border carrying a couple of 5 gallon jugs of extra diesel.

We all get to make our own choices to meet our particular needs. Carrying 5-gallon cans of fuel is one choice. It just would not be my first choice, all things being equal and the river don't rise:)

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
Just say no to the payload police :C

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I often carry a 5 gallon jerky can of diesel when Iโ€™m towing long distances but I never actually use it. I like to have it to fully use my main tankโ€ฆ.. Iโ€™m comfortable going past 0 miles to empty.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
MarkTwain wrote:

Having an auxiliary fuel tank is more convenient and does require loading and unloading fuel cans or take up space in the bed of your truck.

So what is the safety concern you mentioned?

Also, typical in bed auxiliary tanks take up space in the bed.

Under bed tanks are awfully expensive relative to a couple of 5 gal jugs.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
In 2017 we drove from central Texas up to Alaska and back, 10000 miles, three months.
At one cafe in Alaska, a lady warned us to be sure we topped off our tank, the next diesel on our path was near 300 miles. I thought she was maybe drumming up business.
Next diesel was 310 miles. It does happen.
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a 5 gallon container of diesel and another 5 gallon container of gas for our Yukon in the back of my truck when we travel. It is perfectly fine here.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

Our first trip up was in 2007 and our TV only had a 40 gallon fuel tank. I carried and extra 10 gallons of fuel and never needed it going up. I toppped off and started looking for fuel when I got around half a tank. We returned in mid September and found that a lot of the places we fueled up had no diesel fuel as they had not purchased any not wanting to set on it during the winter. That 10 gallons was just enough to get us to the next fuel stop. After that my TV now has auxiliary fuel tank. Itโ€™s nice to fill up when you want to not when you need to.

โ€œHappy Trailsโ€
Chiefneon

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
If this is going to be a one time deal, go with a couple of ~5 gallon fuel cans and secure from tipping (box or milk crates) in your truck bed, just for your peace of mind. In all the posts (Alaska) that Iโ€™ve read, I donโ€™t think that I read about anyone running out of fuel. Definitely do not bypass the first gas station you see, there probably is not another on the other side of the town, I learned that lesson in northern Ontario where gas station and towns can be 100 miles apart. Increase your budget for fuel and grin and bear it when you find out that the $1.50 litre translates closer to $6.00 a gallon.
Legalities, none that Iโ€™m aware of, if there were any, just about everyone has broken the law.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
MarkTwain wrote:
TravelinDog wrote:
My wife and I are planning to drive up to Alaska this summer with our new 5er and I'm wondering if anyone knows if it is legal to carry 10 extra gallons of diesel fuel.
I don't want to be caught short between fill-ups in Canada or Alaska where I've been told never to pass up an opportunity to fill up the tank.

My suggestion is to have a auxiliary diesel fuel tank installed. safer choice. I have a 60 gal. tank installed by Transfer Flow company located in Chico Calif. I can drive close to 1000 miles before needing fuel. Give them a call and ask what options you have. They can install the auxillary tank in 1 day. They will also ship the tank to your home town.

What exactly is unsafe about a couple 5 gal jugs of diesel in the truck bed?

For extra range it's a nice idea. I'm sure Canadian people use fuel jugs. How else to

they fill up lawnmowers and other small equipment?

Having an auxiliary fuel tank is more convenient and does require loading and unloading fuel cans or take up space in the bed of your truck.

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
We have gone up for the summer 3 times now and have never worried about fuel. There are plenty of gas stations along the way and it is a fairly short drive between major towns. Edmonton, Dawson Creek, Ft. Nelson, Watson Lake, Whitehorse and Tok.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
If you think it'll be an issue, you can always buy the fuel cans after you enter Canada. Canadian Tire is sort of their version of a wallymart. Proceed on.