cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tour canada

tomanab
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are considering touring southern Canada this summer. Anyone have advice? Class A motor home. Best time for us is mid-August to Labor day. Maybe start north of Montana and end at Niagara Falls? Anyone going that way we could join up with? Any advice welcome.
24 REPLIES 24

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
I like 1a...something about it...40 is nice too, agreed Calgary traffic can really be a mess at times. We usually pass through at night and have a spot to sleep just on 1a.
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission

Uncle_Rj
Explorer
Explorer
MudChucker wrote:
If you are going to head north to Banff, run to Calgary and take the 1a the out of Calgary towards banff... when you leave banff take the bow valley parkway en route to Jasper and on to 16 to head west.

I'd avoid Calgary and do Hwy 40. 1a has nowhere near as nice of scenery as hwy 40. Plus it's not in very good shape and narrow in places.

If you need to go to Calgary, Hwy 1a is certainly not as hectic as the TransCanada so it is a decent route from Calgary to Canmore. I'd still prefer to bypass Calgary altogether and stay closer to the mountains.

The Bow Valley Parkway is a great way to get from Banff to Lake Louise if you have the time and don't mind driving slowly. It can get pretty congested around the popular areas (Johnston Canyon in particular).

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned, the north route dropping into falcon is cool...look on your map, route yourself onto the 44 looking for west hawk lake...this is where you can pick up the number 1 heading into Ontario
2017 Cougar

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to head north to Banff, run to Calgary and take the 1a the out of Calgary towards banff... when you leave banff take the bow valley parkway en route to Jasper and on to 16 to head west.
2017 Cougar

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
Uncle Rj wrote:
v10superduty wrote:
tomanab wrote:
My wife and I are considering touring southern Canada this summer. Anyone have advice? Class A motor home. Best time for us is mid-August to Labor day. Maybe start north of Montana and end at Niagara Falls? Anyone going that way we could join up with? Any advice welcome.

I will try and help. My suggestions...
Head to the border crossing at Shelby, Montana and DO NOT turn right/East and follow the TransCanada hwy!!

Go northand get up in the Banff / Lake Louise area. Follow the ice field parkway up to Jasper. Then head west taking the northern route (Yellowhead Trail) into Manitoba.

This is a much more scenic way and much less heavy truck traffic. The southern hwy is much similar to the flat lands of your area. No disrespect but I feel when one travels, they want to see different stuff than like at home.. :W

Once in Manitoba you can also stay north of the TransCanada #1 and come out in the Falcon Lake area almost at Ontario.
You will now be in the Canadian Shield which is all solid granite rock spotted with several thousand lakes and two gazillion trees.

Unfortunatly the road becomes a two laner here and is busy.
About an hour into Ontario you can take a right turn just past the first big town (Kenora) onto hwy 71. This will take you back to #1 in about 7-8 hours but more scenic, very little truck traffic and less stressfull. If you take this #71 by Kenora you will go right past campground where we have our fiver set up and would pour ya a coffee (or something) if was available. :C

Once back on TransCanada you will be by Thunder Bay and can then follow along the north shore of Lake Superior to Sioux Saint Marie.

You could then head east in Ontario and loop around to Niagara Falls;
or head south into Michigan depending on your available time.
Can get to Niagara Falls this way also or head back west home if time running out.

I would think you need 2 days from Montana border to Edmonton area.
2 days to Manitoba. 2 days to Thunder Bay. 2 days to S.S.Marie. A day to Detroit area where you decide where to next? Or 2 days to Niagara Falls if you stay in Canada.

Enjoy your trip.

Absolutely the best way if you have time. The only changes I would make are on the early part of the trip. I'd cross at Chief Mountain (NW of Babb Montana) and then take Hwy 6, 22, and 40 to get to Hwy 1 to Banff. Then continue on the more northern route.

It's going to be a lot of butt time over two weeks.

Best plan I've seen...
2017 Cougar

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
v10superduty wrote:
tomanab wrote:

To the Original Poster...
Could you possibly come back and just make a post that you have read or seen replies to your post? :h
I realize you are new here but just wondering if you posted and left or are still with us?

May I add, I've read your 'mid August to Labour Day' & really taken that in

Aug 15 - Aug 31 = 16 days
Sept 1 - Sept 4 = 4 days. To be sure 20 days is better than 0 days, but it sure is a tease for this beautiful .......

๐Ÿ˜›
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

v10superduty
Explorer
Explorer
tomanab wrote:

To the Original Poster...
Could you possibly come back and just make a post that you have read or seen replies to your post? :h
I realize you are new here but just wondering if you posted and left or are still with us?
2000 F250 V10 dragin a 2005 Titanium 29E34RL

luckyd
Explorer
Explorer
v10superduty wrote:
luckyd wrote:
It depends on whether you plan on going East or West.

Quote from OP....
" Maybe start north of Montana and end at Niagara Falls? "

You sound like you have my wifes problem, can't tell her E-W-N-or-S.
Gotta be Left or Right

Just funning with ya :W

I read the post several times and he stated "start north of Montana and end at Niagra Falls". He ALSO stated he wanted to "tour southern Canada". As a Canadian, I know that southern Canada includes both EAST AND WEST. Was not sure if he planned on heading west first and then going east to end up at Niagra.

I have spoken to several Canadians that live in Manitoba the think going across Canada ONLY means heading east to the Maritimes.

Not confused about directions, just the post.

I also enjoy your humor re: this post as I am sure you got out of it that Southern Canada started JUST NORTH OF MONTANA AND HEADED EAST.

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
What Uncle rj said about. "Absolutely the best way if you have time. The only changes I would make are on the early part of the trip. I'd cross at Chief Mountain (NW of Babb Montana) and then take Hwy 6, 22, and 40 to get to Hwy 1 to Banff. Then continue on the more northern route." Been there, done it many times but I would stop at Waterton National Park and have a look see. Cameron Lake is better than Lake Louise IMHO, there is Red Rock Canyon and the boat ride down Waterton Lake into Montana and back. Can be expensive but worth it. My wife and I like it so much better than Banff and Lake Louise and not as many people to rub elbows with. There is a campground in the town site or you could stay at the 2 or 3 that are not too far from the gates of the park. Waterton Springs Campground is the one we have stayed at. Remember 2017 is our 150th anniversary so I would assume reservations will be going like hotcakes. You will require National Park Passes, which are free for 2017. Depending on what you might do, you can get day passes or yearly ones. You will probably find there is just not enough time to do everything that you want to but there is always at a later time. Good luck.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

nbking
Explorer
Explorer
If you are touring Canada, and you stop at Niagara Falls, you are missing the best parts of Canada. The Maritime provinces and Newfoundland are beautiful and have much to offer. Miss them and you miss what Canada is all about.

As a previous writer mentioned, BC is also a can't miss Province to visit.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whaaat? Not planning to tour BC, the best province in Canada? I'd start at the rockies and visit Banff and/or Jasper. I'd also go all the way over to Nova Scotia. A lot of history in Halifax. Been there once. Dad was in the navy there in WWII. Personally, I'd definitely have Halifax on my list... You can cover a lot of miles quickly on the flat/rolling grasslands of the prairies over to Ont. by simply pressing your right foot down as far as it will go... ๐Ÿ™‚ I would plan to stop at Indian Head in Sask. for lunch on the way - interesting small town along the Trans Canada hwy...

In celebration of Canada's 150th birthday, you can get a free pass for 2017 from Parks Canada for all National Parks, National Marine Conservation Areas and National Historic Sites across Canada. Doesn't say for Canadian residents only.

Have fun. Oh, and we wholeheartedly welcome anyone coming to our country!

Uncle_Rj
Explorer
Explorer
v10superduty wrote:
tomanab wrote:

Head to the border crossing at Shelby, Montana and DO NOT turn right/East and follow the TransCanada hwy!!

Go northand get up in the Banff / Lake Louise area. Follow the ice field parkway up to Jasper. Then head west taking the northern route (Yellowhead Trail) into Manitoba.

This is a much more scenic way and much less heavy truck traffic. The southern hwy is much similar to the flat lands of your area. No disrespect but I feel when one travels, they want to see different stuff than like at home.. :W

Once in Manitoba you can also stay north of the TransCanada #1 and come out in the Falcon Lake area almost at Ontario.
You will now be in the Canadian Shield which is all solid granite rock spotted with several thousand lakes and two gazillion trees.

About an hour into Ontario you can take a right turn just past the first big town (Kenora) onto hwy 71. This will take you back to #1 in about 7-8 hours but more scenic, very little truck traffic and less stressfull. If you take this #71 by Kenora you will go right past campground where we have our fiver set up and would pour ya a coffee (or something) if was available. :C

Once back on TransCanada you will be by Thunder Bay and can then follow along the north shore of Lake Superior to Sioux Saint Marie.

Can get to Niagara Falls this way also or head back west home if time running out.

2 days to Manitoba. 2 days to Thunder Bay. 2 days to S.S.Marie. A day to Detroit area where you decide where to next? Or 2 days to Niagara Falls if you stay in Canada.

Enjoy your trip.

Absolutely the best way if you have time. The only changes I would make are on the early part of the trip. I'd cross at Chief Mountain (NW of Babb Montana) and then take Hwy 6, 22, and 40 to get to Hwy 1 to Banff. Then continue on the more northern route.

It's going to be a lot of butt time over two weeks.

v10superduty
Explorer
Explorer
tomanab wrote:

Enjoy your trip.
2000 F250 V10 dragin a 2005 Titanium 29E34RL

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I live in WNY and can give advice on where and what to do or avoid.
When you have nailed down when young be here give me a PM shout, I'd be glad to talk over coffee & tea. We have lots Tim Horton's here and in CA