cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11 y/o chevy.. what service / new stuff is requlred

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
i am thinking drivetrain and steering system. i changed oil and tires, and have a good alignment, but thats it for our 44k miles and 11 years.

belts, filters, tranny flush, front stabilizer vertical rods w/ rubber donut washers, grease zerks (i actually did this once a while ago), brakes and fluids, inspect infamous idler arm bracket...

engine runs fine and all systems seem to be in working shape, but i am clueless as to what to leave alone if it works, and what is essential to address. i also don't have a good idea of best type of place to do this kind of inspection/replacement. or what it costs, or horror stories of elective maintenance work done wrong.

i have fumbled thru quite a few things w/ the rig, but really have limited truck savvy. i only know enough to scare myself - please don't scare me more!
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy
6 REPLIES 6

snowdance
Explorer
Explorer
I also replaced the water pump when changing the belts and idler. My Chev is a 4 years older. Water pump was leaking just a little.
Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to check the front wheel bearings. I ignored them until I got 65.000 miles and then when I did check, they were shot and probably wouldn't have lasted more than a few hundred miles.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it was on your list, but definitely replace the brake fluid if it hasn't been done. (Presumably, if you're replacing the rubber brake lines, you'll also be replacing the fluid out of necessity.) Brake fluid tends to absorb moisture over time, which among other problems lowers its boiling point and makes it more likely that you'll lose braking power on a long hard usage of the brakes.

It might be wise to scrutinize how transparent the headlight lenses are and consider replacing them if they're cloudy, particularly if you do much of any driving at night. The headlight restore kits are generally at best a fairly temporary remedy.

I almost forgot--don't forget to refill the blinker fluid and check to see if the muffler bearing needs replacement. :B

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I would think changing the oil in the differential would be a good idea. I think the owner's manual will tell you 50,000 miles. I'd do it now if it's really been 11 years.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Follow the operators manual for all the service.
Don't fix anything that ain't broken.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you have it pretty much covered,my 10 yr old Chevy with more than twice the mileage is in great shape.

This is what I had done at 100000 miles,the only thing I would check is the rubber brake hoses,I had mine replaced,they tend to deteriorate from the inside and you don't want to have them to fail, they may look fine on the outside,they run about $85 a set.

If you have a Chevy truck dealer nearby I would have them do it or if you have a trusted mechanic that would be the way to go.

My alignment is good too,when I had it checked at 90000 they said that everything was in great shape,it had been maintained very well and they found very little wear.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C