cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12 Volt System

Jackie_Treehorn
Explorer
Explorer
My wife was doing some "housekeeping" in our rig yesterday and used the 12 volt system for lighting. This morning I went in and there was no 12 volt power, including the factory electric "level check" gauge. I'm also unable to start the generator. I presumed my wife hit the Aux Batt kill switch which in the stairwell, but it doesn't really have an indication when I switch it to "on" that in fact it's connected the relay in the front that controls the 12 volt electrical.

I presume my troubleshooting starts by checking the charge on the cabin batteries, and if that's good I'm looking at the switching system to disable to cabin batteries? I also presume I should have a live 12 volt DC terminal on that Aux Batt Switch and I can tell if the switch is bad if the other side doesn't show 12 Volts when I select "on"?

Thanks for any pointers-
10 REPLIES 10

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Download the wiring diagram from the Winnebago manuals site. Page 2 of the Body, 12 Volt Wiring Diagram shows the battery disconnect solenoid and wiring. Start there.

Jackie_Treehorn
Explorer
Explorer
rvten wrote:
Can you start the engine?
If so after it runs a little you should have 12volt to the coach lights.

No problem starting the engine, but when I let it run for 20 minutes earlier today there was still no 12V action. The RV is parked a little ways from where I live but tomorrow I'll take a multimeter up there and check the charge on the house batteries.

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you have source to connect up to shore power, you'll most likely need to use a jumper cable to connect from your car battery to the coach engine battery and let it charge for 5 or so minutes.

You can then start your coach engine and let it run for a while to charge up your coach/house batteries.

After house batteries are charged you can start your 120vac generator, shut off coach engine and then run on power from your generator which should charge both coach & engine batteries.

Also, I'd recommend checking the water level in all your batteries.

Good luck and let us know how it goes...
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Can you start the engine?
If so after it runs a little you should have 12volt to the coach lights.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
This (Sort of) happened to me.. I pulled into a propane station, killed the salesman switch (USE/STORE) to make sure all the DSI stuff was off.. Tanked up, pulled away and pressed the USE end to re-connect and return to service.... NOTHING HAPPENED, not even the CLUNK of the solenoid.

Got the wiring diagram for my Intelletec battery control system and with aid of my wife confirmed that there was no power to the solenid when switch pressed to USE, ok on STORE but not on USE.

(STORE (off) Clunked).

Reomved power from switch (Pull a 5 amp fuse) and poerate like 50 times..

Restore power and it's worked ever since.

So far.

NOTE: IF this works for you.. I suggest lotto tickets cause luck is with you.

(I've tried this type of fix many times, worked twice)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Jackie_Treehorn
Explorer
Explorer
trop-a-cal wrote:
Start the engine and it will charge the system if over an idle. Watch the AMP gage for it to level off probably 20 minutes or so. The generator should start when it gets power from the engine. That's assuming you have more than a quarter of a tank of fuel. The house batteries need the distilled water added if they are below the proper "neck" level. Adding when low causes them to loose charge so check often and only add a few ounces at a time. The house switch will operated on and off only when there is a charge in batteries.

It might just be that the little lady left something on that drained the house batts out. I'll follow that routine, although the only front panel charging gauge appears to be for the engine alternator.

Jackie_Treehorn
Explorer
Explorer
Jackie Treehorn wrote:
rvten wrote:
Give us the make and model and year of your MH. We can be much more help that way.

Are you plugged into shore power?
The battery disconnect is a rocker switch. So make sure you turn it the right way.

Turn the lights on and see if they come on when you turn the battery disconn. switch.

It's a 2001 Winnebago Brave 33V. It's not on shore power right now, just sitting in a parking lot. No lights either way with the switch.

Thanks-

Jackie_Treehorn
Explorer
Explorer
rvten wrote:
Give us the make and model and year of your MH. We can be much more help that way.

The battery disconnect is a rocker switch. So make sure you turn it the right way.

Turn the lights on and see if they come on when you turn the battery disconn. switch.

It's a 2001 Winnebago Brave 33V. It's not on shore power right now, just sitting in a parking lot. No lights either way with the switch.

trop-a-cal
Explorer
Explorer
Start the engine and it will charge the system if over an idle. Watch the AMP gage for it to level off probably 20 minutes or so. The generator should start when it gets power from the engine. That's assuming you have more than a quarter of a tank of fuel. The house batteries need the distilled water added if they are below the proper "neck" level. Adding when low causes them to loose charge so check often and only add a few ounces at a time. The house switch will operated on and off only when there is a charge in batteries.

rvten
Explorer
Explorer

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+