Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1999 Tradewinds

noonenosthis1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

Went looking today at two dealers. I really like National RV and I know they are out of business. Today I saw a 1999 Tradewinds diesel, Freightliner Chasis, 300 HP Cummins for 39,000.00. I am doing research (recalls and problems) and not finding a whole lot. I see that there was a recall on the refrigerator but it seems that all RV's had the frig recalled. Does anyone know of any other recalls for this motorhome? One more question. Right at the fuel spot there is a sticker that says, drain water from fuel. wth? Does that mean drain water from the fuel filter? If so, where is that filter and how hard is it to get to?

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you go to PPL sales in Houston, you can look at what some National Tradewinds have sold for in the past year. I would think that unit in good shape like mine would go for between $25,000 and $29,000.

If you can get info on upkeep that would help. Also check the build date on the tires and the batteries. You could be out as much as $700 for the batteries and $2400 on the tires.

If you have knowledge about MHs, you can check it out but you might want someone to give it a "once over" for you.

dons2346 mentioned they had one that wandered but I have not had any problems like that.

The Cat engine and the Allison transmission are almost bullet proof. Plenty of power for the mountains and you can expect between 8.5 and 10.5 MPG 68,000 miles is not bad for that year MH.

My wife loves our floor plan and we go every chance we can. Even though the National is no longer made, all the items that may need attention are name brand and are still available.

Best to you, Arnold
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
When your looking at something this old it's all about condition. Best to pay a little more for one in very good condition.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

noonenosthis1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. I was going by the description on the dealer's web site. I located a brochure for this year and I do see that it does have a Cat engine. Is this filter for the fuel common on diesels? My husband drove a diesel for 40 years and he never had to check a filter. It has 68,000 miles and the owner (consignment) wants 39,000.00 for it. According to NADA that is a little much. I really like the floor plan but it just seems so big!

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 1999 National Tradewinds with a 300 HP Cat on a Freightliner chassis and like it. On mine there are two fuel filters. One on top of the engine (you have to raise the bed). The other is in the bay on the left side. Some filters have a petcock where you can drain the water but the one I presently have installed does not. Draining water every time you fuel up is not always necessary. I try to buy at stations that sell a lot of diesel and change that filter about every 10,000 miles. I have about 95,000 miles on my MH and I have had minimal issues. The Generac generator and the dash air have been an issue at times but once fixed work fine. If you need details on this coach PM me and I will gladly answer any questions you may have.

Arnold
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
I had a '99 Tradewinds, hated it. The thing wandered all over the road even after doing all the alignment, tire pressure, ride height stuff. Driving 300 miles and I was whipped.

The good part was that it got excellent mileage, averaged 11.5MPG, and could accelerate like crazy going up the Grapevine.

I think you might have the motor brand wrong. Mine and all those I have seen have the Cat 3126B which is 300HP and 865 torque.

One thing to look for is how is the hydraulic pump attached to the chassis. Mine was attached with a flimsy piece of sheet metal which broke and allowed the pump hang by the hoses

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
I can't help with the coach manufacturer reputation, but I've had excellent service from my Freightliner chassis, and the free support from Freightliner is great. They have a 24/7 free help desk staffed with folks that know their product.

Regarding water in fuel, there will be a fuel filter/water separator somewhere on the chassis (located by the coach manufacturer during build). Draining a little fuel into a see through container will allow you to detect water in the fuel (I haven't found any significant amount in 12 years).

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida