cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1st time long distance trip need advice

FLHTCI
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our motor home last fall, we took one short trip with nothing in tow. We are now planning to drive 1500 miles one way pulling a Jeep Wrangler. Iโ€™m
Apprehensive but reasonable confident. Most of our journey will be down Route 95 from New England to southern Florida.

Any advice would be helpful and appreciated. Some concerns are where to stop for the night how to navigate though questionable fuel stops. Generally speaking, please illuminate any pitfalls and things I should know.

Greatly appreciate your input
2012 Winnebago Itasca Class A Sunstar 30T
2013 Jeep Sahara (JKU)
2012 Harley Davidson FLHTCUTG
2012 Ford F-250
31 REPLIES 31

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of good advice above, now just go and enjoy your trip!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

FLHTCI
Explorer
Explorer
Sargehut234 wrote:
Aren't these people wonderful, their so helpful.
Have a safe and enjoyable trip you guys!!
SARGE!!

They are for sure, a wealth of information
2013 Jeep Sahara (JKU)
2012 Ford F-250

Sargehut234
Explorer
Explorer
Aren't these people wonderful, their so helpful.
Have a safe and enjoyable trip you guys!!
SARGE!!

Mike_W
Explorer
Explorer
Somebody finally said it, but I'll underscore. Get a copy of Next Exit. We keep a hard copy right between the pilot and navigator. If anything goes awry with plan A, you can use that handy reference to see place that can handle your rig. I just bought the newest edition on Amazon for a friend, like $25 ish. I always plan my trips out. I have diverted from plan, but i try to keep it reasonable to begin with. I scope out gas stops in advance so I know where and when I'm stopping. (yes, it can change=Next Exit) Same for overnight. I prefer NOT to stay in parking lots, especially when towing. Many do tho.
1987 Executive Diplomat 35
Sad Days
Sold my baby
๐Ÿ˜ž

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
DH and I have traveled in our 32' Class A many, many times along I 95 from NJ down to the Florida Keys. Don't know for sure how far north you will be starting, but definitely avoid traveling 95 anywhere near New York City, and again through the Baltimore/Washington DC/Richmond and Petersburg Va areas! Far, far, far too congested and numerous restrictions concerning bridges, tunnels, etc. Don't have an atlas handy,but can definitely suggest a route that avoids the last area if you message me. Leaves 95 right after Delaware Memorial Bridge and takes U S 301/I 295 to avoid Baltimore, DC and the Richmond area, picking 95 up south of Petersburg. Only a few miles longer and much, much, much less stressful! Agree with previous posts that suggest getting fuel at Flying J/Pilot facilities all along 95. Contact Pilot online and you can get a gas/diesel credit card from them that gives you cents off per gallon! Some of them even have dedicated RV pumps! Easy to find their locations using App available online. Try checking online sites for the locations of various RV parks along the route as well. One we use is https://campgrounds.rvlife.com/ Have found it very useful for many years. Take your time and don't drive too long at any one time. We have a limit of 6 hours on the road per day when making a long trip. Fatigue is a real factor, and it can build up when day after day you push too hard just to make another 75 miles! It is much more taxing to drive an RV than a passenger car, particularly on the Interstates, where Big Wheelers and crazy car drivers compete with each other while you're just trying to drive safely! Definitely maintain the posted speed limits, but don't go faster than you feel comfortable. If you feel pressured, or are not comfortable at the 70 MPH range, there is almost always an alternate U S Highway (301, sometimes U S 1) that practically parallels 95. Might be more local traffic, but, at least for us when 95 gets hectic, it's far less stressful. Just a few of our experiences over the 45 years we have been RVing. Safe travels, and really do "stop to smell the roses!"
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

tiffy2000
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good advice on here, to add to it:
Download RVParky , plan out your trip on it .... be on the lookout for low clearances
Get a copy of The Next exit or download the app .... gives good advice on gas stations friendly to RV's off Interstates

We took our first long trip with our 35 ft MH towing our Fit from NH to Williamsburg VA and back...it went fine

Enjoy your trip and relax, it will be great fun

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Lots of great advice so far. I'll add a couple of "lessons learned" from my toading experience:

Use a checklist for connecting your toad, even if it's a mental one. A Jeep is pretty simple to hook up, but connecting a toad is one of those things where a minor misstep can be expensive or even catastrophic. Somewhere online I read an article about a poor fellow who left his manual trans Jeep in first gear with the transfer case in 4L and towed it merrily away. Apparently a Pentastar V6 doesn't like to be spun at 30000 rpm, and the input side of the trans didn't appreciate it either. Luckily for me the only one was getting distracted during a hookup and dragging an '87 Dodge Colt Vista almost 100 miles with the parking brake on. It wasn't on hard luckily, but the back wheels were pretty warm! With a 13000+ lb rig and 6.8 liters under the hood, I didn't feel it. Which leads me to the next thing- once you're rolling down the road it's easy to forget your toad is there. You won't really feel it, (a little bit on hills) and unless you have a camera you won't see it while going straight. When changing lanes, try to remember your combination is close to 20 feet longer.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

RodLyle
Explorer
Explorer
Few things
1. yes 95 is a nightmare in a few places but i would go 95....flatter and 81 is truck heavy. On 81 you have alot of hills till you get to 77

2. Practice driving with the jeep around town and interstate...take the jeep that is why you got it.

3. yes careful when pulling in for fuel....more so if towing

4. enjoy and be safe

5. agree about weighing never in 42 yrs of travel

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
CAT Scales or other truck stop. IMHO, knowing the coach weight lets you know how close you might be to CGVWR, the limit of your coach, assorted junk in the basement, and toad. This can give you insight as to whether or not you need supplemental braking. As an engineer, I prefer data to counting on luck.
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
FLHTCI wrote:

How do you weight a coach?

Thank you

It's always good advice to weigh your coach in order to set PSI in your tires appropriately for the best ride and handling.

Load your rig like you are travelling - water, food, fuel, people, gear, and take it to a place to have it weighed. Lots of independent truck stops and companies and even some state facilities. 4 corner weights are best but at a minimum each axle. Based on the weights (they'll give you a receipt with your weights) adjust your PSI in your tires to the tire manufacturer's instructions.

Just like a car, you'll find that proper PSI provides optimum comfort and handling and can address a lot of perceived issues like wander and bouncy or a rigid ride.

Another benefit to weighing is it allows you to see where you are with the amount your MH can tow. Some people are surprised to find out that once loaded for travel they don't have enough capacity left to tow their car within the limits of the MH chassis and drivetrain.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can weigh at any truck stop. Waste of time in my opinion and I bought my first RV in 1970. Never weighed one in 50+ years

FLHTCI
Explorer
Explorer
Yankee Clipper wrote:
1) Weigh your coach
2) check tire pressure, invest in a TPMS (I use TireMinder)
3) Tires are always the weak link, so have your tire shop look at the condition of your tire...the DOT codes should not be more than 7-8 years old.
4) Create and use checklists for setting up and getting underway. There are a lot of systems to keep up.
HTH,

How do you weight a coach?

Thank you
2013 Jeep Sahara (JKU)
2012 Ford F-250

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
1) Weigh your coach
2) check tire pressure, invest in a TPMS (I use TireMinder)
3) Tires are always the weak link, so have your tire shop look at the condition of your tire...the DOT codes should not be more than 7-8 years old.
4) Create and use checklists for setting up and getting underway. There are a lot of systems to keep up.
HTH,
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you aren't trying to make the whole 1500 miles in 1-2 days driving, just plan to fill up after unhooking for the night.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV