cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2019 Winnebago View 24G Towing Capacity

tkogrady
Explorer
Explorer
I used to tow a 2003 Wrangler with my 2019 Winnnebago View no problem. I just bought a Wrangler 4xe. The added weight of the batteries, etc. in the new unlimited pushes the curb weight to about 5,200 lbs. I can shave weight by taking the back seats out, switching to a soft top, and removing skid plates. If I tow empty, it will put me just under the 5,000 towing capacity of the View . . . barely. But from at least an insurance and liability issue I'm ok. Question - has anyone else pushed the limit of the towing capacity of the View and what has been your experience?
6 REPLIES 6

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know someone who took his โ€˜all loaded up for a trip rvโ€™ to a scale and forgot his wife , Neapolitan Mastiff and a months worth of special blended dog food. I little over 400 lbs that he forgot about.

tkogrady
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. We will weigh both before we start tipping things apart. There is a trash / recylclng station nearby and Iโ€™m sure they wonโ€™t mind us using their drive on scale.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Have you physically weighed your new Wrangler?
Have you physically weighed the MH?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
tkogrady wrote:
I used to tow a 2003 Wrangler with my 2019 Winnnebago View no problem. I just bought a Wrangler 4xe. The added weight of the batteries, etc. in the new unlimited pushes the curb weight to about 5,200 lbs. I can shave weight by taking the back seats out, switching to a soft top, and removing skid plates. If I tow empty, it will put me just under the 5,000 towing capacity of the View . . . barely. But from at least an insurance and liability issue I'm ok. Question - has anyone else pushed the limit of the towing capacity of the View and what has been your experience?

Good question. The answer is, it's simple math. The hitch can handle 5000lbs, so that's one limit that can't be exceeded safely. If you can "trim the fat" off the Wrangler, and get her down under 5000lbs loaded (and weighed at a real world scale) for travel, and can also shed some weight in your View (also weighed to be sure) to compensate for the heaveier towed, you'll be OK. Robbing Peter to pay Paul? ๐Ÿ˜‰
As an example, my 2016 JKU Wrangler weighs 4500lbs loaded for travel, verified at the local government highway inspection station scales. The Navion (same scales) weighs around 10,600 lbs, also loaded for travel, including both of us, the cat, all travel stuff, 1/3 fresh water, empty blck/gray, full propane, and full fuel/DEF/oil/coolant. The Jeep doesn't exceed the 5000lb hitch weight, and the Navion is under the GVWR. Add them together = 4500 + 10,600 = 15100lbs which is under the GCWR of 15250lbs, by 150lbs.
So, I'm good to go, but just. I can pick up an average weight hitchhiker, and be right at the mathematical limit, but we rarely pick up hitchhikers.:C

The 4220lbs limit that some people toss around, is an over simplified, "subtract the GVWR of 11030lbs from the GCWR of 15250lbs and 4220lbs is your limit" is wrong/false/other. Sorry, but it is.:R
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Advertised weights ?
None of us really know what our true 'rolling down the road' weights are until we go to a scale all loaded for a trip. Then do the math, know your real weights.

Wayfarer
Explorer
Explorer
I believe you will find the tow limit is 4220 lbs even though you have a 5000 lbs hitch. The Sprinter has a GCVWR 15250 and a GVWR of 11030 resulting in a tow rating of 4220. Assuming your RV is loaded to the max GVWR you will be 1000 lbs over the limit. People pull 4-door Jeeps and say they have no problems but it is up to you if you feel comfortable doing this. I really wanted to pull a Jeep but even the basic 2-door Sport was pushing the limit and I did not want to do it. I ended up going with an Equinox at 3425 lbs and it is the Priemer model so it is fully loaded and the heaviest Equinox but still gives me 800 lbs of leeway. I can tell the Equinox is back there on steep inclines and I can only imagine that it would be worse with a 1000 lb heavier toad but the Sprinter will pull it.
2021 Tiffin Wayfarer 25RW