cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

400 Cummins Alternater Problem

11B
Explorer
Explorer
I just picked up a new alternator motor from freightliner because my light on the dash would not shut off. Long story short the alternator light is right back on with new unit. Called a on the move service tech who is now telling me the solenoids on the starter is stuck open and is causing the alternator problem,

Your thoughts:
4 REPLIES 4

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
prism wrote:
why would he be replacing a alternater if lite was on only when on shore power?
People run gen sets while driving down the road all the time.I have never seen my alt lite come on?? Iam 100% sure he certainly means alt lite on when engine running + or driving down road

It really isn't that uncommon to "confuse" idiot charge lights when multiple charge sources are present. If the charge voltage of, say a smart inverter/charger is above that of the alternator, it can certainly trigger the light.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
My alternator light will come on when hooked to shore power... does not do it when going down the road with generator running.
If your starter solenoid was stuck open you could not start the engine and it's a normally open switch anyway. Go buy a $5 digital meter and do the tests that Brett outlined.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

prism
Explorer
Explorer
why would he be replacing a alternater if lite was on only when on shore power?
People run gen sets while driving down the road all the time.I have never seen my alt lite come on?? Iam 100% sure he certainly means alt lite on when engine running + or driving down road

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Without using a digital voltmeter, we will all be guessing!

With engine off, check voltage at batteries-- both banks. 12.7= fully charged battery.

Start engine. Voltage should rise to 13.5- 14.5 VDC at both batteries.

If not, check at your battery isolator. Both at the lug IN from the alternator and at the lugs OUT to the two battery banks.

Let us know what you find-- if those check out, likely a wiring issue at/to the dash.

Diagnose, don't just replace parts.

And make sure you are NOT on shore power or have the generator on, as that can cause the alternator light to come on.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/