cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5 STAR TUNING X4

jmcgilvary
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have experience and opinions on this?
I have a 2002 Bounder, just does not see to really have the guts to tow, and I hear this does make a difference.
Wanted to know of peoples experiences and or testimonials.
Where did you buy, and how much?
Thanks in advance!
8 REPLIES 8

jmcgilvary
Explorer
Explorer
I guess, like all questions when somoene asks opinions, the answers represent both sides.
I have seen some RV'ers on YOuTube who have them (not paid endorsements) talk about the difference.
I am not always concerned about towing, I don't, as yet> have a TOAD, rather a 12' trailer and a Harley or a Golf Cart.
I believe I may try it and see. That darn downshift going over a bridge on the Fla Turnpike, St. Lucie Waterway drives me nuts, and if all I have to pay is $500 to stop that, it could be worth it (he says tongue in cheek)
Thanks to alll for your answers.

jpsage
Explorer
Explorer
I put one on my 98 Ford V-10 after engine change. Its ok. But the big difference is the fact that I can monitor engine and transmission parameters. I like having a tachometer, transmission temp, real engine temp and inlet air temp displayed. Since I lost an engine because the poor engine temp gauge on those year Fords it is nice that I can watch important information when going over hills in hot weather.
2006 Holiday Rambler Neptune
1970 Jeepster Dinghy (may need to upgrade)

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
For the inexpensive cost of 5 star and instant noise relief gained by re-programming the dumb factory tranny/shift settings, the tuner effort is the best value out there.

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
hanko wrote:
timmac wrote:
It does have HP/Torque improvements, not a lot but will make your motorhome do better in the hills where you need the HP/Torque the most.

I have 5 Star with the full Banks Power Pac system on a 08 V-10 Bounder and I tow 6000 lbs with ease and still maintain around 6 to 7 mpg.

Its nothing you notice in the seat of your pants

Well, it all depends on your pants. I have 5star since about 4 - 5 years, and I love it. And yes, with my rather light motorhome, I can feel the additional power pretty well.
It allows me to cross the Donner Pass in CA in the car lane, because I go way to fast for the truck lane that is full of lame diesel pushers!

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
It does have HP/Torque improvements, not a lot but will make your motorhome do better in the hills where you need the HP/Torque the most.

I have 5 Star with the full Banks Power Pac system on a 08 V-10 Bounder and I tow 6000 lbs with ease and still maintain around 6 to 7 mpg.

Its nothing you notice in the seat of your pants
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Change to a lower (numerically higher) axle ratio. Cost about $750. Best bang for the buck in towing power, beats all engine mods you could spend thousands on.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

timmac
Explorer
Explorer

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
I dont think 5 star is a performance enhancing item. Its basically re programs the transmission to rid some of the foolish shifting patterns from the factory. I have the 5 star on my 2014 allegro and its fantastic for what it is. I also have banks power pac with the headers and KN air cleaner and that woke the thing up.
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar