cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50 amp surge protectors

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a surge protector, any recommendations for the best.
50 REPLIES 50

TS21sso
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain wrote:
Looking for a surge protector, any recommendations for the best.

I sent you a private message in regards to a Progressive 50 amp, I have available due to selling the 5er for a MH with hard wired protection.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
westom wrote:
Max Spike (Amps):
SG 6,500 , 6,500 \/ PI 44,000 , 22,500
SG 6,500 per MOV \/ PI 44,000 , 44,000
SG 6,500 , 6,500 \/ PI 88,000 , 45,000 , 45,000
SG 130,000 , 36,000 \/ PI 88,000 , 88,000

Most PIs have higher numbers.

Which is irrelevant if that protector does not have a low impedance connection to earth. Those numbers are relevant only if that current connects low impedance (ie at the pedestal) to what must absorb that energy.

Furthermore, a minimal parameter for that one type of surge is 50,000 amps.

Again, this anomaly is rare in campgrounds. Other anomalies are a greater concern. If this anomaly is a concern to an RV owner, then his protector must make a low impedance connection to earth by attaching at that pedestal.
I was comparing Apple's to Apple's for the HWC50 in discussion, not generalizing, but whatever.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
An undocumented feature of the magnum hybrid inverter charger is that it will not connect to low voltage. But I do not know what that particular voltage is.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

westom
Explorer
Explorer
Max Spike (Amps):
SG 6,500 , 6,500 \/ PI 44,000 , 22,500
SG 6,500 per MOV \/ PI 44,000 , 44,000
SG 6,500 , 6,500 \/ PI 88,000 , 45,000 , 45,000
SG 130,000 , 36,000 \/ PI 88,000 , 88,000

Most PIs have higher numbers.

Which is irrelevant if that protector does not have a low impedance connection to earth. Those numbers are relevant only if that current connects low impedance (ie at the pedestal) to what must absorb that energy.

Furthermore, a minimal parameter for that one type of surge is 50,000 amps.

Again, this anomaly is rare in campgrounds. Other anomalies are a greater concern. If this anomaly is a concern to an RV owner, then his protector must make a low impedance connection to earth by attaching at that pedestal.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
westom wrote:
Mile High wrote:
Kind of splitting hairs on the chart I guess - I see a couple more things PI does that SG does not, but I see SG handles higher spikes.

The PI has higher spike protection.
according to the chart, 130,000 SG, 88,000 PI.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
The Sola Basic does buck voltage at 135 down 10%. That's not enough to protect from an open neutral. However, I believe that open neutral "feed" to a 30 amp pedestal depends on the campground. In other words, it is their fault. So it should be their dollars to fix it. I also believe it would be an extremely rare event. I always check voltage under load before I plug in my RV.

What is common is low voltage. I've seen 100 volts, unloaded. That becomes a nuisance to the RV owner with disconnects at 102 and 104 (both too low for my comfort zone).
I don't check the unloaded voltage because the HW50C will not connect the RV when there is low voltage. And it disconnects if the voltage becomes low.

Agreed that high voltage is not common in the US and Canada.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
westom wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Shortly after installing my EMS I had 160V at 10:00 PM due to a open neutral. My inside remote displayed the high voltage and I could not get disconnected from the CG pedestal quick enough.

Anything that requires manual intervention means that excessive voltage existed forever. Overvoltage means response must be automatic - well less than a second.
Guess I wasn't clear. The HW50C disconnects the downstream power to the RV withing a few milliseconds. Then with a remaining wide range of upstream voltage it displays voltage, etc but MOST important an error code. It also displays a prior error code which can be useful for knowing that there was a low voltage event while you weren't staring at the remote display for example.

Bob

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The Sola Basic does buck voltage at 135 down 10%. That's not enough to protect from an open neutral. However, I believe that open neutral "feed" to a 30 amp pedestal depends on the campground. In other words, it is their fault. So it should be their dollars to fix it. I also believe it would be an extremely rare event. I always check voltage under load before I plug in my RV.

What is common is low voltage. I've seen 100 volts, unloaded. That becomes a nuisance to the RV owner with disconnects at 102 and 104 (both too low for my comfort zone).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

westom
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Shortly after installing my EMS I had 160V at 10:00 PM due to a open neutral. My inside remote displayed the high voltage and I could not get disconnected from the CG pedestal quick enough.

Anything that requires manual intervention means that excessive voltage existed forever. Overvoltage means response must be automatic - well less than a second. To any appliance, one second is almost forever. A protector must disconnect automatically (fast enough) due to any Hi/Lo voltage, missing safety ground, and open neutral.

These type surges typically do not exist in homes. A surge protector for homes address anomalies (surges) that are different from what typically exists in campgrounds. Compromised neutral and voltage variations are unfortunately surges common in campgrounds. A protector must automatically protect from those anomalies to be fast enough.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
My unusual high voltage event.

This was on a 30A pedestal so a open neutral cannot cause high voltage! Right? :@

Think again. :h The open neutral was in the CG 120/240V distribution system which feeds 20A and 30A 120V circuits. BTW A 120/240V distribution system is extremely common and exists in 99.9999% of every home. For my home it's a 200A or 200A x 240V = 48,000 watt system. A 50A RV circuit is 50*240 = 12,000 watts.

Don't leave home without EMS protection as CGs tend to be over used and under maintained.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why should a 50A RV have a power protector/EMS? Regardless of the brand. :?

There are many posts on this subject and it's not understood by most RVers.

The bottom line: Unlike 30A a open neutral on 50A can/will supply up to 240V to your 120V appliances. This lets the smoke out. ๐Ÿ˜ž The most likely source for this is a worn pedestal or your cord/plug.

If you have a 50A RV then give very serious consideration to the additional protection.

Choose brand x, y or z, but choose.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Price considerations usually are a consideration.

A quick search: Surge 40240 $402, HW 50C $317.

With the same HW 50C for 14 years I'm extremely satisfied with my choice.

Bob

westom
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
Kind of splitting hairs on the chart I guess - I see a couple more things PI does that SG does not, but I see SG handles higher spikes.

The PI has higher spike protection. But this is still being ignored. Does not matter how massive the spike protection if the outgoing path to earth does not exist. If that connect to earth is missing, then the spike is simply connected into RV appliances.

That effective transient number is only useful when the connection from that protector to earth ground is low impedance. That is why protectors attached (locked) to the pole are effective from that anomaly called a surge.

Campground protectors are for surges such as Hi/Lo Voltage Shutdown, Open Neutral, Reverse Polarity, Miswired Pedestal, and Ground Fault. Some compressors do not have and need that Time Delay. Other surges such as Max Spikes are irrelevant if a low impedance connection to earth does not exist. None report a missing or high impedance earth ground connection. Consumer must verify that exists so that the PI and SG can protect from that anomaly called a surge.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Kind of splitting hairs on the chart I guess - I see a couple more things PI does that SG does not, but I see SG handles higher spikes. Ultimately the chart helps justify the testimonials for those that have already spent money one way or the other - so kind of a comfort thing or an "I told you so" :), but really, I don't think this is much more of a technical conversation than the Ford vs Chevy nonsense.

Both have advantages over the other, but both get the job done.