cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

7', 8' or 9' drop on Carefree EZ Zip Blocker?

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Which drop length did you buy for your patio awning sun blocker and why? 9' is the cheapest and 7' is most expensive. Can't figure out which one to buy. I realize that a 9' drop will require a wider RV site but would accommodate more people and stuff. There are only the two of us and don't have a lot of company.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!
4 REPLIES 4

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I made my own which is 6' and never had the sun shine come in from under the lower edge. If the 9' costs less then go with it.

2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Thunder Mountain wrote:
Which drop length did you buy for your patio awning sun blocker and why? 9' is the cheapest and 7' is most expensive. Can't figure out which one to buy. I realize that a 9' drop will require a wider RV site but would accommodate more people and stuff. There are only the two of us and don't have a lot of company.

Maybe I'm completely off base or missed something but why would amount of drop of 7' or 9' need a wider site? Width of the awning plays a roll in amount of space you need width wise. But from the awning tube on down (where sun shade will go) you wouldn't need wider site IMO. Maybe I'm messing something other than people that pull their shade out to make sort of a tent type thing out of it.

OK, I own a different brand (and no longer own a class A, if that matters) but...I have one called "shade pro".

Here is what I would do to get the length of drop you want...extend your awning and have someone sit in a chair where you sit and see if the shade part would block the sun. Right now where we're at, sitting in my favorite chair, the shadow of my head from the sun is about 2 feet above my tire. That is in the morning, while the morning sun actually feels good, the color of my RV does not help. The color of my RV is 90% "arctic" white. When the sun hits it, the reflection off the RV white sides hurts my eyes sometimes.

You could have someone sit in one of your chairs and see what length would be best. And also depends on type of awning you have and how tall of RV you have, and how far it tilts.

Or you could get the longest and cut where you want to sew in the round rubber/plastic thing that fits inside the awning groove, so it fits you best for whatever set up you have.

My sun shade I can roll up with the awning. But we don't travel with it rolled up in awning. But when parked for longer periods of time, rolling it up with the awning, saves the hassle of taking down at night, folding and putting back up next day. And also see what you'll have to go through putting it up. My wife can't reach high enough to get it started, and I barley can without a stool.

We're on second year with this one and we like it.

We keep it held down at the bottom with little bungee cords secured to 3 gallon water bottles. Bungee cords more forgiving in breezy weather IMO.

People that have lost theirs in the park we're at have had them tied down real tight with pick up type cargo straps. No enough flexibility and they think it will stand up to higher winds because of using heavy duty straps I guess. We bring awning in when the parks flag sticks all the way out and makes flapping noise.

We also have a sun shade for front or rear side of awning. What a big hassle to put up and take down. Very rarely do we put it out. Maybe hot hottest days.

Hope this helps.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
You can angle it outward. I anchor mine to the dog screws on the corners and use stakes with bungee's in the middle. Usually hang it out 2-3' past the patio mat.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
That would depend on the distance from the awning roller to the ground for me as I want mine to hang down 6" to 12" from the ground. Guess its just a personal preference. Mine has a 4' drop with a zipper and a 6' add on but my roller is 10.5 feet from the ground.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows