cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

8.1L and W22

Looney2nz
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at buying a 2003 Kountry Star 37' with 20,400 miles on it. Am wondering how good or bad is this coach? Does it have problems with the brakes? Seems that I read something about it. Is the 8.1 GM engine good? Im looking to upgrade from a 2001 Class C with the Ford V 10 engine. My v10 is a really strong engine thus the questions about the W22 and 8.1. Any info would be great. Thanks folks. Asking price is almost 40K.
16 REPLIES 16

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a new 37ft triple slide Pace Arrow in 2004. W22 chassis was more than enough for the coach and had a good ride. I had some oil pressure issues with the 8.1 but it was just a sending unit for the most part. The WH rep I was working with told me the 8.1 only ran 6 psi normally. It used about a quart of oil between 3K mile changes and had no leaks so that bothered me as well. I would be a little concerned with it now as they are no longer in production. Biggest issue I had was BRAKES or should I say lack of. When the abs sensors would fry the trans would not shift right. After 6 years I got rid of it.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

JaBob
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2003 Pace Arrow 36B with the 8.1 Chevy engine pulling a toad for over 10 years. Had the brake recall done . Had to replace one roof top AC and the dash unit. Engine and trans were great and would not hesitate on the unit you are looking at.
Happy travels

Bob

outofplace
Explorer
Explorer
we bought our 2005 Pace Arrow W22 8.1 last spring and absolutely love it.You wont go wrong there.
Paul
2016 Outlaw 38RE

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I switched over to the 8.1 and W-22 from the Ford Chassis and the V-10 Triton Motor. My V-10 Triton was a 1999 and Ford had issues with the spark plugs staying screwed tightly into the block. I liked my V-10 outside of it didn't have enough pep going over Mountains and passing other vehicles. I bought my 8.1 Chevy Vortec (It's 496 Cubic Inches) in 2004. I bought a new top of the line gas 36' Winnebago with a Allison Transmission and a W-22 Workhorse Chassis. There was a brake recall (Bosch supplied Workhorse with faulty calipers). I never had any troubles with the original brakes on the coach. If the Bosch recall hasn't been done a Workhorse Dealer will make the repair for you free of charge. Check the service records of the Kountry Star to see if this has been done. I also had new brake linings installed at a small cost when the Caliper repair was done. I wanted everything to me new when it came out of the shop. To my knowledge there was 2 other recalls a fuel line clip that holds the fuel line to the frame rail. That repair is also free (a Workhorse issue) and took about 3 minutes for the repair and there was a 3rd recall which I haven't done yet and it's a speedo cluster panel repair kit (which is a Workhorse issue but not a safety issue) and that is a free repair to this day. I do not have one regret in buying the 8.1 with the W-22 Chassis. My coach will be 11 years old on Jan.15th and I've had very little problems overall with the coach. I also use Mobil 1, 5W / 30 synthetic motor oil in the 8.1 and change the oil and filter once a year since my coach was new.

Looney2nz
Explorer
Explorer
wa8txm, what caused you to lose the oil?

Looney2nz
Explorer
Explorer
Lot of good infu. So how would you check to see if the beakes and other warrnety work was completed? Someone said to use the vin#. Do you just go to workhorse web site? Also with only 24K miles would you really need to change all fluids ie trans, brake,and coolant? You guy have been moore than good. Thanks

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to like the 8.1/ Allison combo. After Wa8yxm's early life failure I googled 8.1 Vortec problems and there are many incidents of early life failures, plug wire problems etc.

On the other hand the V-10 is almost problem free after 2002 or so.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
W24 came out in 2004.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

Escapade
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2004 W22 with 62000 miles. Have had all the recalls done and just returned Monday from Missouri. It is quite driving down the highway at 62mph. We had a V10 that was very loud and shifted too much.

You may want to change the fluids if no service record exist.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 3778 Mountain Aire similar to the one you are looking at. I have weighed all 4 wheels and I am no place close to the 22000# limit. I Can carry a lot more and still not even be close to 22K. If I would always travel with fresh water tanks full and also the holding tanks full I may go a lot heavier but that would not be practical. You need the holding tanks empty f you plan on using any water. The brake recall was caused by a phenolic piston in the brake caliper swelling from water in the brake fluid and not allowing it to retract. The Workhorse website is active and with the VIN you can check if the recall was done. The number on the new calipers is the same as the old as far as I know. I had the recall done asap when I had brake problems an it has been great since then. The W24 chassis didn't come out until a few years later so don't waste time looking for that unless you want a newer one. I cruise at 2100 RPM with my toad @ 62mph and get 8-8.5 mpg.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, I drove a W-22 8.1 37'7" motor home with towed till the oil was lost (suddenly) and the engine blew.

I really liked it, engine had plenty of power, and GM engines are nice. The Allison transmission is hard to beat. I mean, if you ask which is the better engine, Ford or GM, both have supporters and you will get a lot of "Discussion".

IF you ask who makes the best transmission even FORD says it is ALLISON, (Their latest automatic is described as "The Answer to the Allison" by Ford,, In this case I'd listen to Ford).

The Brakes,, if the recall has been done the issue is solved, there was also a fuel clip recall you need to check to see if they were done. That is all.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

LindsayRichards
Explorer
Explorer
Having the Workhorse brakes replaced with the new design model is critical. They almost killed us by going over a cliff on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The used a resin piece in the calipers that melted when they got hot. Do not put your family at risk by accepting the old design calipers. You can get the numbers directly off the calipers and check to see on the internet if they are new design.

LindsayRichards
Explorer
Explorer
Having the Workhorse brakes replaced with the new design model is critical. They almost killed us by going over a cliff on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The used a resin piece in the calipers that melted when they got hot. Do not put your family at risk by accepting the old design calipers. You can get the numbers directly off the calipers and check to see on the internet if they are new design.

cmarq
Explorer
Explorer
I went from a 1999 ford V10 class C to a 2003 class A on a W22 with the 8.1 37ft, The W22 and 8.1 with allison trans is far better than the Ford. I did have the brake recall done and you do need to change brake fluid every 2 years to prevent brake problems. The 8.1 has more power and is quieter, the V10 with Ford trans downshifts for every anthill and the engine screams.